air cutoff valve.

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

air cutoff valve.

Post by millerdog »

I have a question for the carb gurus. If the air cutoff were leaking around the o rings, would this cause a WOT stumble. I think I have a leak somewhere, but can't find it. The bike will stumble, and then recover when cracked wide open from cruising speed. It then will stumble, and take a while to smooth out when you try to level out to cruising again. I have some new Honda float valves, and seats to put in, as the old ones were looking rough when I rebuilt them. Has a new Randakk kit in it a couple months ago.The air cutoff gave me a fit this time re installing. Don't know why they didn't cut the recesses a little deeper for them o rings! LOL!
1976 sorta stock GL 1000. 1997 VZ800 definitely not stock Suzuki Marauder. Ride em like you stole em!
jdvorchak
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: air cutoff valve.

Post by jdvorchak »

bumping this so you don't think no one was reading. Sounds like a tough one. High speed stumbles always perplex me. sometimes it's carburation and sometimes it's ignition. Air cutoff should only let air in when the throttle is returned to idle quickly. Your description sounds like maybe it's lean on acceleration and goes rich when you let off the throttle. Since I'm guessing I'd pull the carbs and recheck the float settings to make sure they are spot on and all 4 are set the same.

You didn't mention if you have stock air cleaner box and filter.
New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help:
http://ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST

Don't fix it 'til it's broke...
The person with the most toys wins!
If it has wheels or a skirt you can't afford it.
Amateur Radio Station WW9L

71 CL350 with Bingham side car
2021 HD Triglide
2008 HD Dyna Low Rider
83 KZ1100L1 Son totaled it
83 KZ550LTD Shaft sold

Previous bikes: 84 GL1200 STD, 83 KZ550LTD, 83 CB1000, 78 CB400A, 82 CB900F, 79 CB750K, 2001 GL1800, 2000 Dyna Super Glide, 1972 CB350 K4, 1985 GL1200A, 1997 1200 Sportster, 84 GL1200I, 82 Honda CM400E, 81 Suzuki GS650L, 72 Triumph Bonneville 750, 72 Honda CB350, 66(?) Honda 305 Scrambler, 6? Yamaha yz250, 62 650 Matchless (Norton-Villers).
John
millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by millerdog »

I do have stock air box, and filter. I was running an open air cleaner with a K@N filter, with no problems at all. I did go with a Hondaman ignition, but I don't think that's the problem. I have to pull them this weekend to put new float valves, and seats in, so I guess I'll find out more after that. Synchronized with a carbtune tool, and its spot on. So is my timing. Had no problems with a DynaS. Of course, the float valves looked really bad on this last rebuild, so that may be it. Thanks for the feedback. I'll post results after the weekend. By the way, the carbtune synchronize r is THE tool to have. Excellent tool. Anyone on the fence about one of these, should just get one. You won't regret it!
1976 sorta stock GL 1000. 1997 VZ800 definitely not stock Suzuki Marauder. Ride em like you stole em!
olchris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by olchris »

If your unsure whether the air valve thingy is sealed properly on maybe sucking air you could easily check it by spraying "chain Lube" onto it several time while its cold... the chain spray will form a thick coating with several applications and prove the seal (Castrol chain Spray O-R is my fav!).... i dont think it the valve as you would have a constant problem... but you need to eliminate it as a cause...
1972 Norton.. Rebuild from boxes.. http://www.accessnorton.com/strange-fra ... 44-60.html and here http://www.accessnorton.com/strange-frame-t18084.html SOLD
1975 Mk3 Norton.. Too good to mess with, but refurbished...
1975 Goldwing #1 SOLD
!975 Goldwing #2.. http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 2+wing%232
1975 Goldwing #3... http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic. ... =Wing+%233 Going very slowly but going forward..
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Air cutoff valves are dark and mysterious. I'm thinking...scary... that the missing oring, not the small one, wouldn't affect running. It's normally open to the plenum, now it's getting some outside- unfiltered air. Eventually it will allow too much dust and debris in and begin plugging the small hole and the idle air jets. Since it only controls air to the idle circuit, it should have a noticeable effect at cruise speeds.

Was your plenum wet or dry before you changed the float gaskets?
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

I'm thinking more likely that you have a sticky piston(s). Make sure that the guide pins are so shiny you can see your face in them, and I use Solvol to polish the bores in the caps. Make sure that you remove all traces of polish before refitting.

The floats height would make a difference if you have them set too low so that the bowls don't fill properly, giving a weak mixture.

For the air valve, I use a TINY spot of superglue to hold the O rings in place. 'But John that will make them more difficult to remove!' Sure, but your next rebuild might be in another 30 years, so who cares!
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

I am with OF, stumble at a steady speed (sort of feels like "missing") is a stuck CV slide. they are meant to micro adjust as you go down the road. Just a little but of sticking prevents this. But lay on the throttle (or shut it way down) the vacuum over comes the sticking and it works right
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by millerdog »

All good points guys. I did polish the pistons very well when I did the last rebuild. I'm going back in this weekend. I'll look into all of this. Thanks for the advice OF, on the super glue. I'm gonna get to the bottom of this no matter what!
millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by millerdog »

I got the new float valves, and seats in. Reset floats, and it made a noticeable difference in the way the bike ran overall, but the hesitation is still there. Not as bad though. I'm still thinking!
82aspy
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 82aspy »

any info on the ignition system? how are the plugs? fuel filter? was the prob there before the randakk kit?
"there is a Darwinian element"
Yoda said, "There is no try or not try; there is only do or don't do."
=====================
ngw quotes anim-cheers1 - \ "I will strip the beast" \ "the swingarm is just a hunk of metal" \ "gonna maybe ...dunno yet" \ "It's never done, thats the fun." \ "something about this site brings me back"
millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by millerdog »

I have a Hondaman ignition, iridium plugs. Randakk fuel filter. Seems like the problem started after the ignition swap. I'm running copper core wires with 5 ohm coils. Resistor plugs. Resistors taken out of the plug caps. The plugs have a good color, although they look a little on the rich side.
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

If I've processed this thread correctly, you had removed a DynaS, and installed a Hondaman ignition in it's place.
Does that system require the reinstallation of a points' baseplate and reconnecting the OEM condenser?
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
millerdog
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by millerdog »

It does require the points as triggers for the ignition. The condensors are removed. I got conflicting info on the condensors. The instructions for the ignition say to disconnect them, but on his website, it says to leave them. Not sure it would matter either way with a transistor ignitor box.
jdvorchak
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by jdvorchak »

Even though it's transistorized the condensers would still offer spike protection, from any back EMF, while not affecting performance. I'd leave them.
New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help:
http://ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST

Don't fix it 'til it's broke...
The person with the most toys wins!
If it has wheels or a skirt you can't afford it.
Amateur Radio Station WW9L

71 CL350 with Bingham side car
2021 HD Triglide
2008 HD Dyna Low Rider
83 KZ1100L1 Son totaled it
83 KZ550LTD Shaft sold

Previous bikes: 84 GL1200 STD, 83 KZ550LTD, 83 CB1000, 78 CB400A, 82 CB900F, 79 CB750K, 2001 GL1800, 2000 Dyna Super Glide, 1972 CB350 K4, 1985 GL1200A, 1997 1200 Sportster, 84 GL1200I, 82 Honda CM400E, 81 Suzuki GS650L, 72 Triumph Bonneville 750, 72 Honda CB350, 66(?) Honda 305 Scrambler, 6? Yamaha yz250, 62 650 Matchless (Norton-Villers).
John
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

millerdog wrote:It does require the points as triggers for the ignition. The condensors are removed. I got conflicting info on the condensors. The instructions for the ignition say to disconnect them, but on his website, it says to leave them. Not sure it would matter either way with a transistor ignitor box.
It's been a while since I read about the Hondaman system installation instructions.
I believe the condensor can be left mounted on the battery frame, but no longer connected to the circuit.
Then, in the event the Hondaman system becomes problematic, the original points' system configuration can be restored by disabling the Hondaman unit, and plugging the hibernating condensor leads back into their original locations.
Maybe yes, maybe no?
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.