How To Increase THROTTLE RESPONSE???

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

TNTbefree
Silver Member
Silver Member

How To Increase THROTTLE RESPONSE???

Post by TNTbefree »

Hello all... Looking for tips on how to increase throttle response. If you have a tip or advice on how to do so, please post it here.

In particular, my issue is with an 81 GL1100. First off, when I turn the throttle, it doesn't start to "catch" for about a quarter, to half an inch, into throttle turn. Then, in third gear at 30 mph, when I get on it, it will pull, get all deep and throaty sounding, pull, but not "go" as hard as I would like her to go. Same if I do it at speed in fourth and fifth gear. She pulls, but doesn't take off as well as I would like her to. Feels like she is lagging a bit.

If you do not have any advice specific to my issue, but have some general information or tips on how to improve or increase throttle response, I would still love to hear it. So feel free to post it below.

Thank you,
Earl43P
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: How To Increase THROTTLE RESPONSE???

Post by Earl43P »

If you remove the false tank there is a throttle cable adjustment turnbuckle that can help with the dead travel, along with the adjustment at the right control. Might need to take up some of the slack but not TOO MUCH. You want some dead travel between throttle applied and throttle released. You also want the throttle to snap back under spring pressure smartly when released, not a slow creep back to off. Bad cables are usually that culprit although some do lube them successfully.

Whether a cable adjustment will help your performance response is iffy. Try that first and report back. If it isn't opening the butterflies fully due to cable fault, that may work for you.

My opinion of carbs should be taken with a salt lick block, not a grain. I believe there is a sort of diaphragm that when it is bad causes a lag when initially accelerating, sort of like an accelerator pump of raw gas to get her going before the vacuum gets the slides going. I think they also causes popping in the exhaust on throttle off decel when they are bad. If yours haven't been checked, they aren't expensive and you'll probably need new ones if you take them apart to check them. It's been so long I can't even recall if there is one on each carb or not. I do know mine were replaced from the git-go so I never had an issue. The insides were groady beyond belief. CRS= I can't even recall their name.

Lastly, as is the nature of these beasts, they really don't wake up and pull hard until 3500-4000 rpm, then hang on cause here we go. At least that's how mine is. Expecting 4th and 5th gears to pull hard is entirely dependent upon your road speed/gear/rpm. My 82 has an 83 engine (true overdrive 5th) and expecting any kind of performance under acceleration in 5th gear under 60 mph is folly. It actually doesn't "like" 5th for steady speeds under 60mph. (With your gearing, it may be like that in the 50-55 mph range in 5th).

An expert should be along shortly.....until then scroll to the bottom and read those 5 Similar Topic threads!
2008 GL1800 "yawn"
KTM390A “Hootinanny”
04 ST1300 DDDD (Double darksided daily driver) Sold 4/2022
93 GL1500I Double darksided and SOLD 3/29/20.
99 Valkyrie IS, Fast Black Double Darksided
"Fishtailed, flipped and flung me, but wearing it well". Sold!
82 GL1100 retired DD, needs work.... Sold 3/3/17
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

I think Earl is referring to the air cutoff valves, and there is one on each carb. IMhO, I wouldn't just replace them. I looked back through your build thread, and didn't see any mention of going through the carbs. Did you do a sync? If not, I'd start there...
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Very hard to know what "you" mean by "increase throttle response". Stock carbs are CV carbs. Not as responsive as a regular flat slide carb. But they work pretty well for these bikes and most situations. Now if you are comparing a GL to perhaps another bike then it's apples to oranges. Like I said, hard to know for sure what you may mean.

Now to answer your question. "How To Increase THROTTLE RESPONSE???" On a stock GL there are numerous ways. Increase compression. Add cubic inches. Different cams. Different carbs. (not CV carbs) Al way over the top. But again, hard to know what you want.

If your bike is tuned good and running properly it should be pretty good. The 1100 doesn't react like a 1000. It will pull better at lower rpm.

Now, if the cable is that far out of adjustment, "First off, when I turn the throttle, it doesn't start to "catch" for about a quarter, to half an inch, into throttle turn." Then it may not be opening to full throttle. So get the throttle free play set right first, then go from there.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
fish
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by fish »

downshift!
Timothy Mark Fisher
Catalina Arizona
"ride it.. don't be one of those guys who will fix it 'til it's broken" (JDVorchek)
"It is not logic or economics that drive a motorcyclist but passion!" (bugdaddy66)
"I fully agree with fish, well at least 27% of the time."(Casper)
"Why do you have to ruin a perfectly good thread with common sense"(Placerville)
"my best guess for an answer would be a stream of complex expletives" (Transitman)
"I like a cold beer with my beer" (OldeWing)
"Most of us like the sport of wrenching too." (fred camper)
"Now go ride the heck out of it, til mother says do your chores"(Gowing)
"I agree with Fish" (Salukispeed)
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Twice!
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
BlueThunder
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by BlueThunder »

If I understsnd the problem correctly...
The throttle grip must be turned about 1/4" before the cables engage and pull the buttleflies open. Even with cables adjusted correctly there was this 1/4" lag.
I figured that the aftermarket cable was too long. I made a collar that was inserted by the bell crank. It essentiasly took up the extra space. This eliminated the lag at the grip.
...Brian
2014 CTX1300 Deluxe - BlackThunder aka Predator
1977 GL1000 - Ox
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

1000 manual says there should be 1/8" to 1/4" of play at the grip.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
jdvorchak
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by jdvorchak »

Have you checked your ignition mechanical advance? Make sure it moves freely and is not rusted. If it's rusted/frozen it will act sluggish on acceleration but will eventually get to about red line.
New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help:
http://ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST

Don't fix it 'til it's broke...
The person with the most toys wins!
If it has wheels or a skirt you can't afford it.
Amateur Radio Station WW9L

71 CL350 with Bingham side car
2021 HD Triglide
2008 HD Dyna Low Rider
83 KZ1100L1 Son totaled it
83 KZ550LTD Shaft sold

Previous bikes: 84 GL1200 STD, 83 KZ550LTD, 83 CB1000, 78 CB400A, 82 CB900F, 79 CB750K, 2001 GL1800, 2000 Dyna Super Glide, 1972 CB350 K4, 1985 GL1200A, 1997 1200 Sportster, 84 GL1200I, 82 Honda CM400E, 81 Suzuki GS650L, 72 Triumph Bonneville 750, 72 Honda CB350, 66(?) Honda 305 Scrambler, 6? Yamaha yz250, 62 650 Matchless (Norton-Villers).
John
HOTT
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.php/wingmans/HOTT

Post by HOTT »

jdvorchak wrote:Have you checked your ignition mechanical advance? Make sure it moves freely and is not rusted. If it's rusted/frozen it will act sluggish on acceleration but will eventually get to about red line.
Yep. I'd look there.
...get all deep and throaty sounding, pull, but not "go" as hard as I would like her to go.
Draw (suck) on vacuum hose and listen for advance mechanism, also make sure it holds vacuum. I'd start with known good carbs.

HOTT
If we can't fix it, we can fix it so no one else can.
the Condor BOTY 2011
Ol' Sparky BOTM Dec. 2011
Lucky #13 BOTY 2018
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Turn the right grip farther/harder/more often ....

Gord crossy.gif
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F