wiring help...one more time

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

puffy75
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... ns/puffy75

Post by puffy75 »

Agree Agree Agree. I went through a couple of switches before I broke down and put in the relay. I run a set of 50watt x2 PIAs and large guage wire. You can use any cucuit that's hot after the ignition (black/white or black) Brown has a couple of open connectors on a lot of Hondas just for accessories. They are all fused at the box.
May The Fours Be With You.

CB77 1965 First Bike
GL1000 1975 "Puffy" damaged in accident
CB750F2 1978
GL1000 1976 "Puffy Too"
donspicer1

the factory wiring

Post by donspicer1 »

seems to have relays of some kind in the headlamp control box, (I think/suspect/want_to_believe).

wire it up without the relay, and observe what it does. I think you'll find a spark occurs inside the switch. it'll work, though.

I think we would all do our best to help you wire it up with a relay. Can somebody suggest an appropriate relay & socket he can easily buy, from advance auto parts or the like? I'd look now, but, I gotta work this job thing...
FirstYearDeek
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by FirstYearDeek »

AutoZone/O'rileys/NAPA/Pep Boys/Advance Auto all carry a standard Bosch relay and socket... you should be able to get the pair for less than $10.

PartExpress is a great site for that kind of stuf, too.

-Deek
"Eat, drink and be merry. For tomorrow we die."

1975 GL 1000 (First Year) under the knife; soon to be a cafe' inspired "Boss" of a freedom machine.
Cookie
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
RIP: 1950-2011

Post by Cookie »

Here's nthe one I used on my Chang
.http://www.changjiangunlimited.com/tb2025.htm[/url]
Enjoy life,
Cookie

A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad.
Owner of 4.4 76s and one lone 75 Wings (does a spare engine make .2?)
revjim
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by revjim »

okay...got it hooked up without the relay. No sparks etc. Going to see how this works...all the wiring is dedicated all by itself. I went straight to the battery..no tapping etc... we shall see...YOU GUYS ARE THE BOMB!!!!!
She's a beast!!!
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

Revjim. You can do whatever you like, but a simple 6 dollar relay will:

keep your wiring from overheating
keep your switch from arcing
Allow you to use a heavy duty wire to the lights for brighter lights
Allow you to use a small wire to your switch
Add insurance against overwhelming your stator

as i said, you can wire however you like, it takes about 20 minutes to wire the relay in, and hours to replace a stator or burnt wiring.
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
puffy75
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by puffy75 »

Agreed I have one you can have

CB77 1965 First Bike
CB750F2 1978
GL1000 1976 "Puffy Too"
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

makes a lot of sense on the aiming.... you still want to see the side of the road with an oncoming car, but not blind the other driver

unfortunatley the running lights on my HD are aimed a little too high and I cannot adjust them, and if I leave them on the oncoming car turns their brights on towards me
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
puffy75
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by puffy75 »

Rodger we used to take a deep well socket and grind out one side so you could go in and adjust it from the front after removing the lens. I do not know if that will help. I think thier running lights have been the same for awhile.

CB77 1965 First Bike
CB750F2 1978
GL1000 1976 "Puffy Too"
OhioBill
Silver Member
Silver Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/OhioBill

Post by OhioBill »

Go to NAPA and get a complete driving light wiring kit. It has a fuse, relay, and a really cool LED control button for $22.00
OhioBill

I now have GPS so I no longer get lost, just confused.
Retired and Loving it.
When I die send my body to the scrap yard.
Two hips and a shoulder replaced.

1975 Blue/ Green (Now Black) My main ride
1975 Red Gone to my son! (Burned Feb 2013)
1979 Black (to be restored)
1979 Blue (Sold)
1978 Black (back in the fold) sold again. Bought it back, again
1993 blue 1500 Sold
1976 Restoring
Brant
Board of Directors
Board of Directors
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/brant/

Post by Brant »

You got it toyota. in the following diagram, you would run the "switched power" to your toggle and then back to the battery. This is the right way to wire a set of fog lights. The relay switches the heavy current to the fog lights with big wire, while the dashboard switch wiring can be very small. This keeps high current and large wires out from under the dash and in the engine compartment where they belong. A typical set of 55 watt lights will draw about 8 amps for the pair. The dash switch will pull only about 0.3 amps to operate the relay.

Why use a relay?

There once was a little man named Jon whose job it was to lift a weight of 50 lbs. He could do this all day long with no trouble. But, one day the boss came up and said that Jon now had to lift 200 lbs. But Jon knew he could not lift 200 lbs without eventually breaking his poor little back. So, he got his friend, Hercules to lift the 200 lbs each time that Jon tapped him on the shoulder. So Jon was able to lift the extra weight through Hercules' strength and Jon did not have to lift any weight at all.
This explanation, plus the illustration, is really good. That should go in the shop talk.
83 GL 1100 bagger Ugly Betty
ALL WE WANT TO DO IS DRINK OUR ESPRESSO, RIDE OUR MACHINES, AND NOT BE HASSLED BY THE MAN
Owning a motorcycle is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that.
"Don't sweat the little things, guys, take care and appreciate all that you have around you!" - Fewman
NGWclub on Facebook
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Then throw the lighted button in the parts bin and connect them the way I described.

If you want to, buy a second relay and use one for each driving light so that you don't increase the drain on your headlight circuit significantly.

But don't run two 55W driving lights at the same time - 165W of headlights is just too much for a 300W alternator that has to also power instrument & running lights (about 25W) and the ignition (not to mention brake lights, turn signals, stereo &c) and still have some left to keep the battery charged.

Unless you do what I did:
I wired my (35W H3) driving lights to a DPDT switch so that in one position (night) they are connected as described in the link above and in the other position (day) they are in series across the low beam. In the day position they draw only 17.5W total.
Since my GoldWing's front signals don't have marker lights and I have LED bulb replacements in the tail lights, that means that the total is only about 5W more than the original lighting used.

35W driving lights, one lit at a time are quite adequate for me because I upgraded to a modern automotive headlight reflector unit (plain lens, beam shaped by the reflector, vs. the original parabolic lens, beam shaped by lens facets 25+ year old with scratched lens and tarnished reflector). The new headlight (with the same bulb that was in the old one) puts 2 or 3 times the light onto the road ahead.
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

sunnbobb wrote: A typical set of 55 watt lights will draw about 8 amps for the pair.
P=ExI
I=P/E

55W/12V=9.16A

I don't dispute the use of relays to lessen the load on switches &c. I have relays on the lights on the front of the sidecar.

I do dispute the wisdom of running two 55W driving lights at the same time on a vehicle with a 300W alternator.

But then, mine still has it's original stator & I don't intend to ever drop the engine to change it because I ran too much lighting. Or to become stranded because there wasn't enough power left to keep the battery charged.

Besides, you don't need to run them both at the same time, particularly if you put in a headlight reflector unit that isn't a worn out antique.
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

i'm with sidcar on this one. if you need that much light to see where your going, you don't need to be driving at night. and the harm done to on-coming traffic is even more dangerous. i use a standard sealed beam from a two light car system. [has both high and low beam in one focased lens]. it has a wide narrow beam on low, and alittle wider on high. i can't out ride my light unless i'm going over 90mph. and i can replace it at any auto parts store, or walmart, in the country.
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200