Saving Brakes Tip

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

derweibhai
Tin Member
Tin Member

Saving Brakes Tip

Post by derweibhai »

Just a tip for all the guys and gals with sticky brakes. I have the skill to rebuild calipers, but it is a messy job and I wanted to see if I could find another way.

Note: this only works with dragging calipers, not locked or leaky ones.

I changed out the old fluid and cleared the spooge hole as shown here in the forums. SPEED BLEEDERS ROCK BTW!!!!

I pull the calipers off and pull the pads out. I put 1 pad back in and pump the brake until the piston stops against the 1 pad (this keeps the piston from popping all the way out). I hose to the piston and piston seal down with silicone spray (any auto parts store has it). I then scrub the exposed piston with a brillo pad or copper pot scrubber (make sure it isn't copper washed stainless or you can scratch the piston). I then wiped off the gunk, hosed the piston and seal with silicone spray again and pushed the piston back in with a C Clamp. I cycle them this way a few times, and now my brakes work perfect. No drag, and good feel. Takes some time but saves having to install $100 worth of caliper kits.

Don't get any silicone on the brake pads or rotor, that would probably cause problems. Brake cleaner does a good job of removing it if you get overspray.

Silicone spray is great for all types of rubber, I spray down my shock accordion boots, the U joint boot and any other rubber other than tires of course :drunk . Guys use it to extend the life of CV boots on autos as well.

Hope this saves a few people some $$$ and mess. Good luck.
jdvorchak
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Saving Brakes Tip

Post by jdvorchak »

Thanks for the tip.
Respectfully: The ONLY problem I have with your technique is the silicon spray to finish it off. Silicon can react with the Dot 3 or 4 fluid and congeals. You've been lucky in that the seal wipes the piston clean before it contacts the fluid. Personally when I do this I just use brake cleaner on the piston and push it back in dry and clean.

Side note. when you push the piston back into the caliper the fluid will help unclog and clean the spooge hole in the MC if it's not plugged up tight.
New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help:
http://ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST

Don't fix it 'til it's broke...
The person with the most toys wins!
If it has wheels or a skirt you can't afford it.
Amateur Radio Station WW9L

71 CL350 with Bingham side car
2021 HD Triglide
2008 HD Dyna Low Rider
83 KZ1100L1 Son totaled it
83 KZ550LTD Shaft sold

Previous bikes: 84 GL1200 STD, 83 KZ550LTD, 83 CB1000, 78 CB400A, 82 CB900F, 79 CB750K, 2001 GL1800, 2000 Dyna Super Glide, 1972 CB350 K4, 1985 GL1200A, 1997 1200 Sportster, 84 GL1200I, 82 Honda CM400E, 81 Suzuki GS650L, 72 Triumph Bonneville 750, 72 Honda CB350, 66(?) Honda 305 Scrambler, 6? Yamaha yz250, 62 650 Matchless (Norton-Villers).
John
derweibhai
Tin Member
Tin Member

Re: Saving Brakes Tip

Post by derweibhai »

If the seals are any good, it should keep the fluid and silicone separate. If not you will have to rebuild it anyway. I have had brake cleaner eat seals before and cause leaks, that is why I like the rubber preservation qualities of the silicone spray.

But if it works and doesn't leak, maybe brake cleaner is ok, I still love my silicone spray.