What's it worth?

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

Dlsgap
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

What's it worth?

Post by Dlsgap »

Found this 78 for sale near me. Sorry I don't have better pictures. Haven't seen it in person yet. Trying to get an idea what it's worth. It's got under 45k on it and seems to be in decent shape aside from the neutral light being stuck on.
tmp_27332-00x0x_fcXz4EvmO0w_1200x900-1016051541.jpg
tmp_27332-00x0x_fcXz4EvmO0w_1200x900-1016051541.jpg (73.21 KiB) Viewed 224 times
tmp_27332-00101_h8VgHaAXmSw_1200x900986671520.jpg
tmp_27332-00101_h8VgHaAXmSw_1200x900986671520.jpg (90.91 KiB) Viewed 224 times
Damien

"If loud pipes save lives... Imagine what learning to ride that thing could do for you"
CYBORG

Re: What's it worth?

Post by CYBORG »

looks pretty clean, and low mileage. Probably between $1000 and $1500. I guess it depends on how motivated the seller is. And that is what it is worth in my opinion
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

That depends on what you want to do with it.

Myself those bars would have to be changed out, find a front and rear fender, real seat etc etc etc... so those "styling improvements" would be a serious detractor for me. If that is a 78 the front M/C has been changed out so the brakes have been worked on some. Other than the fact that it runs and rolls aesthetically I would basically consider that a barn find. I would not go any higher than 6 or 700 bucks depending on the mechanical side.

# 1 rule is make styling changes for your self and stock restore for resale.

My 2 cents is worth about the same as Cyborg's :lol: :lol:
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
Earl43P
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Earl43P »

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/mcy/5982096700.html <<NO AFFILIATION** Looks like a decent runner, make him an offer!

1979 Honda Goldwing that has been converted to cafe racer look by previous owner.

The bike runs great, I use it everyday, go to school with it or just go for a ride. The engine is a 1000cc flat 4, which gives you nice torque in low RPM and it makes it easy to work on. Engine is very clean, has no leaks and has a great sound.

I personally think the Honda looks amazing as it is, the guy really nailed the cafe racer look and it's awesome from every angle. I never thought I'd buy a Goldwing in my life, but I couldn't pass that one up. It's actually hard to believe it's a Goldwing. I am selling the motorcycle because I am canadian and I cannot bring the bike home with me, but I did love riding it around here in the States.

Has 44839 miles, might go up a little bit as I still ride everyday. All the gauges (Tach, speedo, fuel, temperature and voltage) work perfectly except for the neutral light wich is stuck on. Revs up real nice, all gears work as well as the cooling system, never had overheating issues even in heavy traffic. It even has a little compartment over the tank to store (and lock) gloves or wallet or whatever you need.

Comes with manual for the bike as well as some spare parts. Give me a call or shoot me a text for more info, will be my pleasure to answer all questions. Test drive available if the money is in my hands. Can also meet you somewhere if not too far from where I am. The bike is at my place in Arlington, north Cooper. Come check it out!
KTM390A “Hootinanny”
04 ST1300 DDDD (Double darksided daily driver) Sold 4/2022
93 GL1500I Double darksided and SOLD 3/29/20.
99 Valkyrie IS, Fast Black Double Darksided
"Fishtailed, flipped and flung me, but wearing it well". Sold!
82 GL1100 retired DD, needs work.... Sold 3/3/17
Dlsgap
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Dlsgap »

Well to be a hundred percent honest, it will never be exactly what I want which is a 2016 ZX10. But my main reason for looking at it to have something to ride up to Arkansas with you guys in June if I can make that happen... Yeah.. Sorry 79 not 78
Damien

"If loud pipes save lives... Imagine what learning to ride that thing could do for you"
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

I don't know if you have s a State safety inspection but here in Virginia if it came from the factory with turn signals then it must have them to be licensed. Also and this is a personal pet peeve that brake light is ridiculous. In my town you would get rear ended the first day you rode it. Too many idiots out there with other stuff on their minds to pay attention to something that small.

The CL posting is 22 days old. And the guy is going back to Canada so he may be very motivated to sell.

As a general guide any of the 1000 series you have to figure on 2,000-2500 to have a mechanically safe Coast to Coast bike. You buy a bike for 500 you end up putting 1,000-1,500 in updates and rebuild kits and a whole bunch of labor. Rebuild kits for 2 Master Cylinders, 3 brake calipers, brake lines, carbs, coolant hoses, fuel tank clean up, tires, etc etc etc all add up quickly. If the bike has been kept on the road, updated over the years and does not need a lot then you expect to pay more.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
Dlsgap
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Dlsgap »

Here in TX turn signals actually aren't required to pass inspection... I guess they figure any moron can learn the hand signals lol. And yeah I wasn't a fan of the brake light or bars.. Some things would have to change to "make it mine".. Not that I know ANYTHING at all about changing things on bikes lol
Damien

Dlsgap
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Dlsgap »

I was honestly going to see if he'd trade for a rifle I have that just sits now... It's worth +/- 1500 ish.. The moving back to Canada thing kills that though
Damien

5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

He's bsing you about not being able to bring it back to Canada..
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
roncar
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... s/roncarGL

Post by roncar »

Whiskerfish wrote:# 1 rule is make styling changes for yourself and stock restore for resale.
+1 Any deviation from stock is a financial distraction (IMHO).
Dlsgap wrote:But my main reason for looking at it to have something to ride up to Arkansas with you guys in June if I can make that happen...
Not Required. Any 2 wheeler (or 3, 4, 6, 18, etc.) are welcome.
"I periodically misspell words just to annoy the word police."

Dlsgap
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Dlsgap »

5speed wrote:He's bsing you about not being able to bring it back to Canada..
He hasn't responded to my messages yet and the gun hasn't come up yet. I thought Canada was close to California in terms of gun restrictions?
Damien

Dlsgap
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Dlsgap »

Not Required. Any 2 wheeler (or 3, 4, 6, 18, etc.) are welcome.
I hate going to bike events in the car unless absolutely necessary. Being the over thinker I am, I've already contacted a friend who lives about 30 minutes from eureka Springs to see if I can borrow one of his bikes just in case....
Damien

5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

Dlsgap wrote:
5speed wrote:He's bsing you about not being able to bring it back to Canada..
He hasn't responded to my messages yet and the gun hasn't come up yet. I thought Canada was close to California in terms of gun restrictions?
Depending on the rifle. AR15..can be imported but it's a pain and we can buy them here. Bolt action..no problem.
Bringing the bike back is possible too..which raised a red flag as he said he can't.
Does that mean he doesn't have papers for it?
If he does..then he either hasn't checked into bringing it back or he's lying.
ETA all model's of Honda's can be imported.
http://www.tc.gc.ca/motorvehiclesafety/ ... ion8_0.htm
Last edited by 5speed on Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar

1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
Dlsgap
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Dlsgap »

Yeah it's a colt AR with a handful of 30 round mags, red dot sight
Damien

5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

Dlsgap wrote:Yeah it's a colt AR with a handful of 30 round mags, red dot sight
Assuming he is into guns..he might go for it..however he can't bring the mags across the border unless he pins them to only hold 5 rounds..plus jump through all the hoops for importing it..which will involve hiring a business that has an import-export permit from your State Dept to do the actual transfer...
The going rate for that is around $250.
It's a pita to import something we can buy here. (I own 2 ar's)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar

1983 Shadow 500. (sold)