Here's what I started with, an 82 Aspencade...I saved it from the wreckers. It ran just enough to get it in the back of a pick-up. We bump started it (the brushes in the starter were gone) and of course the carbs were zonked so it wouldn't idle or rev up properly. Somewhere along its life the front end was changed..it only has a single piston caliper and a Vetter faring. It was sitting for 7 years.The motor was quiet and the price was right.
Here's what I finished with.
- 1975 GL1000 front & rear hubs, with 16 X 3 Harvey Donaldson rims
- GL1000 final drive to mate up with hub, mounted on the original 1100 swing arm. To do this you must graft in the left side of the 1000 swing arm. This allows you to mount the 1000 rear brake and use 1000 rear shocks. The neat thing is the 1000 final drive is a 3.40 ratio so you get a little more zip.
- Rear of the frame rails were lopped off, the muffler/rear peg mount was relocated up the frame rail
- Rear fender is the lower section from the Aspencade ... chromed
- Front fender is a CB900, reversed and replated
- Ebay turn signals and risers for the drag bars
- Custom made seat a knock off of the popular gunfighter seat by Corbin
- Paint is Lamborgini yellow, Mustang grabber orange & black
- All original hardware Zinc plated
- Carbs and motor were freshened up
- Everything was blasted and painted
- Progressive front springs and 20 weight fork oil
- Fork brace
- Fully detailed
Heres some pics of the first mods, note the relocated exhaust mounts and the rear frame rails cut off. Theres also the stripe and seat mock up.The seat is from my wifes 03 Shadow Spirit. The swing arm holes and steering neck are closed up for the sandblaster.
Below is a picture of the swing arm and the problem you have when you bolt an 1000 final drive to an 1100 swing arm.
And heres how you fix it. Note the right side arm of the 1000 (on top)
is shorter then the 1100. The final drive of the 1000 is longer (mounting flange to axle center line) and you end up with an 1100 swing arm that is about 1" longer...helps stop those annoying wheelies!
Heres some bits & pieces back from the blaster, all preped and ready for paint. note the front hub and fan shroud in the back ground.
The paint is single stage black and single stage import magnesium,
a color very close to Hondas orginal silver\gray.
I built this bike with the idea that this is something Honda could have built. With that in mind there are no modern technology pieces.
Hey.. "FirstYearDeek" I never drove the Gallardo...but the 1100 is a blast..(I also took it to the drags, but more on that later.)
The mufflers are up slash by Helix, there fairly cheap, but you have to remove the baffles and drill 3.6 millons holes in them, other wise it won"t rev up. How does it sound? it's better then Ok but not fantastic.
"Nuke Man" you got it right on the tail lights. I used one of those 4 wire to 3 wire converters you can buy at any truck-trailer store. I could not come up with a tail light that didn't interfered with the flow of the seat and fender. I haven't been stopped by the police yet, but it may happen.
"ElPiloto" I took the original seatpan, remove the skin, (it was one of the only good pieces from the bike) and simply cut the pan as close to the shape of my wifes gunfighter seat. Corbin wanted $750.00 delivered to my door. I had it upholsterd for less than a 1/3 of that.
"Winston" The front fender extensions are simply stainless steel. I always used stainless acorn nuts to finish off any visible stud.