Oldboy's 82' Resto Rod... Final

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

82aspy
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Re:

Post by 82aspy »

was this covered?

http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 66#p217766
Oldboy wrote:In the picture below you can see the fuel pump cam lobe on the KO 1975 cam is not as long as the 1977 cam or the 1100 cam. Did it use a different housing to drive the fuel pump?
"there is a Darwinian element"
Yoda said, "There is no try or not try; there is only do or don't do."
=====================
ngw quotes anim-cheers1 - \ "I will strip the beast" \ "the swingarm is just a hunk of metal" \ "gonna maybe ...dunno yet" \ "It's never done, thats the fun." \ "something about this site brings me back"
Oldboy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Oldboy's 82' Resto Rod... Final

Post by Oldboy »

No I never received any answer to that question. However I did use the 75' KO cams, with the 1100 fuel pump housing and its still working years later.
Cheers...

Just Wing-it
rocco1
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by rocco1 »

Hi OldBoy,

I am in process of converting my 1976 wheels to 16" Harley rims. I already checked out with Buchanons and with some Europe wheel builders which could make me spokes (I am from Europe).

The guys from germany are saying that HD wheels are no good, as the spoke drill angles on the rim are completely different? This confuses me, as I can see you have been running your bike with HD rims, and Buchanons spokes for quite some time with no problems.

Did you have to redrill the holes, or do some modifications to the Harley rim?

Thanks for the answer.
Oldboy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Oldboy »

Well, They are right. Its only really noticed on the rear rim because the spokes are so short (large hub diameter).
1/2 the spokes have a slight curve to them, but you really have to look close. It did this respoke 6 years ago now,
and recently just changed the front tire and have had zero problems with them. At the time I did this I had heard lots
of early GL1000 guys did this rear rim change in the 70's....I took a chance, and religiously checked them for a year.
No I did no modification, I just flew by the seat of my pants. Your call good luck.
Cheers...

Just Wing-it
82aspy
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 82aspy »

hey rocco1, kako si?!
=====================
ngw quotes anim-cheers1 - \ "I will strip the beast" \ "the swingarm is just a hunk of metal" \ "gonna maybe ...dunno yet" \ "It's never done, thats the fun." \ "something about this site brings me back"
rocco1
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by rocco1 »

Oldboy wrote:Well, They are right. Its only really noticed on the rear rim because the spokes are so short (large hub diameter).
1/2 the spokes have a slight curve to them, but you really have to look close. It did this respoke 6 years ago now,
and recently just changed the front tire and have had zero problems with them. At the time I did this I had heard lots
of early GL1000 guys did this rear rim change in the 70's....I took a chance, and religiously checked them for a year.
No I did no modification, I just flew by the seat of my pants. Your call good luck.
Well, sounds OK to me, if the bike has been rolling for 6 years, and as I can see you have been racing on a drag strip also. The reason is cost, as I can get decent HD DOT wheels for about 80-100$, but custom made rims are at least 250$ here (and are aluminium, I want chrome). No one wants to make spokes only, as they would need the rim and wheel to get the spoke measurement...so we are talking labour also, and postage to both ways....I can easily get past 1000$ here. Which I don`t think it`s justified, as I can see quite some GL1000 rolling on HD rims with no trouble.

I`ll probably go with HD rims also, have to think about it a bit.

Do you have to re-tight the spokes from time to time, or it was one time work only? Do you use stainless or ordinary spokes (stainless are more prone to cracking)?
82aspy wrote:hey rocco1, kako si?!
Jaz sem v redu, pa ti? :)
82aspy
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 82aspy »

ja sam vrlo dobro hvala
=====================
Oldboy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Oldboy »

No I don't believe I 've ever actually tighten one, checked them...yes. Now during clean (I like to clean) I just check
them by hand. I've often wondered how loose an early GL1000 spokes are 5 - 10 years after production.
I went with stainless, laced them my self.

P.S. They do look good...
Cheers...

Just Wing-it