77 Fork Upgrade

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

Dangeruss

77 Fork Upgrade

Post by Dangeruss »

Stock 37mm forks are just not up to the task for aggressive riding on a big girl like the Goldwing and the brakes could use updating also. I did a LOT of searching and decided on the following as the best option to upgrade the suspension and brakes to more modern standards, and still keep it looking mostly original and hopefully not bust the bank. It is fairly straight forward swap. I did it all myself with minimal special skills or tools except for the machined axel nut
Major Parts List:
1984 GL 1200 triple trees
1994 CBR 600F2 forks
1994 CBR 600F2 calipers and master cylinder
1982 CB 900F brake rotors
Lester wheel with 5 bolt rotor pattern
Speedometer drive to fit wheel
78 front fender for the speedometer keeper on the left side
Custom machined threaded nut for axle to clamp in left fork

GL 1200 triples are a direct fit to the 77 GL1000 frame, using stock 77 bearings. The steering stops need to be reworked, but otherwise a direct swap. Stock 77 clamp on the left has stops on each side, the 1200 on the right has a center stop.

I did not want to alter the frame, so I cut off the center stop on the 1200 tree and drilled holes for 3/8 solid round bar, welded in place on the bottom side. Figuring out where to drill took some head scratching, but it worked out great, nice and sturdy clean install.

1994 CBR 600F2 41mm forks fit the 1200 clamps and have nearly the same axle spacing, same fork length, caliper spacing and use the same diameter rotor as the stock 77. As a bonus, the 1994 forks are the first year of cartridge style instead of damper rod and the last year with a speedometer drive stop. Looks like the calipers need 1/4in spacers to line up. Waiting for the axle nut to mount up the wheel and dial it in. The fork lowers are pinch bolt style instead of bottom cap. The stock axle and spacers work in the forks with the exception of the left side. Right fork fits like a glove, but the left is considerably larger so a custom axle nut needs to be machined.

Master cylinder is a direct bolt on to the stock bars, need to wire up the brake light switch on the master since I will no longer be using the splitter. Looks like the splitter could be made to fit and mount in the same place as on the stock clamp with a simple bracket made. I decided to eliminate the splitter and use double steel braided lines from the master, one for each caliper. I also used a CBR clutch perch so the levers match.

The gauge mount needed a bit of reworking also. Cut off the mount tabs and welded some new tabs to fit the holes on the 1200 upper clamp. The mount holes were used for the air lines on the 1200 and not needed, so I tapped them and they now hold the gauge cluster. I also had to relocate the choke to the right side to make room for all the cables and wires.

Headlight remounted courtesy of some nice polished aluminum ears found on eBay. Stock turn signals to be mounted on a flat bar of Aluminum warped around the lower clamp. Fender is another head scratcher, ended up with auto muffler clamps temporarily until I can come up with something cleaner. Here it all mounted and mocked up.

Next is to order brake lines and rebuild the master and calipers and put in new fork seals. I am hoping that the progressive springs from the GL will fit in the CBR forks, if not I have to find stronger springs as the CBR is quite a bit lighter than the GL. I also think I found a Telefix fork brace that will fit with a bit of altering.
Russ
2016 K1600GT
75 GL1000 Project

States visited by Goldwing...
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Jeff+Bozeman/

Re: 77 Fork Upgrade

Post by Fred Camper »

Pretty darn nice write up, keep us updated on the final lessons about that axle nut and springs and such. Nice pictorial explanation.
Proud member of the NGW Cartel (Rochester MI)
1977 GL1000 BADDOG (April 2012 BOTM)
1976 LTD - '993 LTD...and so it begins'

You should remember that it's peace of mind you're after and not just fixing the machine. R.Pirsig
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

Good work Russ. I admire your Lester stash too.. :)
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
Oldewing
Secretary
Secretary

Post by Oldewing »

Nice work Russ, as always. Is "aggresive" a grown up term for fast? lolol lolol :orange
82 GL1100 Interstate-Oldewing October 23 BOTM
06 GL1800 Road bike, as in Rode alot...
Sometimes I wrestle with my inner demons.........
Other times we just hug.......

Team 898
Team LTD 993
Team 76 R2B3
And always remember: beer has some food value--but food has NO beer value...
Bert
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Bert »

Wow! You did your homework to match up all of the different pieces. Looks great. I agree the front legs on these old girls are too small.
"Try to be the person your dog THINKS YOU ARE"

'75 Red Wing Now Greene and Tan
'76 Yellow Wing...Sold
'77 Blue Wing
'77 Red/black wing with side car...Sold
'79 Silver/black CBX...Sold
'81 CB1100RB Red and white...Sold
'06 Ducati MTS 1000DS...SOLD
'01 CBR1100XX Redbird
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Awesome Russ, this is what I need to know. I have a full Magna front end which I have been contemplating for my 77 project. It has 41mm tubes. It's probably not as good as the cartridge type, but I now know what I have to do to complete my swap. With the whole front available, I think i just need a set of trees from a 1200. Not sure whether I have to keep the lester on the front of mine or swap the whole works from the Magna. It's a smaller front on the Magna and I'm not sure what that will do to the performance. I think I'll be able to swap the speedos too for correct speed. The Magna also has air, not sure if I'll keep that.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Dangeruss

Post by Dangeruss »

Oldewing wrote: . . . . Is "aggressive" a grown up term for fast? lolol lolol :orange
Well yes sort of. :twisted: Not so much as going real fast, but just not slowing down on mountain curves, and we have a lot of mountain roads up here. crossy.gif

Should have the axle nut early next week. dancr Ordered the stainless brake lines today. I have to tell you about the excellent customer service, I contacted HEL Performance USA http://helusa.com/ to inquire about a pair of custom built lines @ 11:00 this morning by email. We traded a couple of emails to answer all my questions and how to accurately measure the length needed and options available. I sent payment via PayPal @ 3:00pm and they had them built and SHIPPED by 6:00pm. Price included 2 lines in custom color, custom angled and color banjo ends, stainless double banjo bolt, stainless caliper banjo bolts, new copper washers, and shipping. Now I have to get my butt in gear and rebuild calipers and master cylinders.
ericheath wrote:Awesome Russ, this is what I need to know.
Glad it helped, hope it works out for you. I know I can't wait for the changes, this has been about a years worth of researching parts and specifications.
Russ
2016 K1600GT
75 GL1000 Project

twisted_pair
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by twisted_pair »

Excellent write up! Motivates me to consider a similar project...
Justin Chamberlain
RV Technician
Santa Maria, CA
1979 GL1000 "Esther"... and a lot of patience
"Perhaps you were created for such a time as this"

http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Twisted_Pair/
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

I will have to rebuild my Magna shocks because they are spewing all over. There's some kind of upgrade kit for them I read about on the Magna sites, some kind of change in the emulator valve. I will have to get opinions over there to see if they think it will help for me. They suggest new springs. Money, money, money.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Dangeruss

Post by Dangeruss »

Well seems like I'm not so good at keeping updates coming. lolol

Here she is, all done except for the speedo cable keeper and I'm still working on a better looking fender mount. I have about 100mi on it so far and am extremely pleased with the results. Brakes pads are not fully bedded in but are much better in stopping power and modulation feel and effort over stock. The ride is smooth as silk and feels firmly planted on the pavement.

The goal was to keep it looking as original as possible.

GL 1200 T-trees work beautifully, the gauge mount is snugged in nicely. Had to relocate the choke cable to the right side to get it in close. The small red LED next to the key is a voltage monitor. It flashes green to orange to red depending on the current line voltage. Bike is not running in the picture, so it shows red.

94 CBR600 front master and CRG Lane Split bar end mirrors. I also used a CBR clutch perch, that I had to modify a bit to get it to sit at the same angle as the master lever.

View from the cockpit

Front view

Russ
2016 K1600GT
75 GL1000 Project

Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Jeff+Bozeman/

Post by Fred Camper »

Love the Winker mounts too, maybe you could give us a bit of detail on what you did there as it looks great. The fender mount is a significant load, so doing something with JBWeld will not hold over time. We need to keep thinking about a optimal solution there.
Proud member of the NGW Cartel (Rochester MI)
1977 GL1000 BADDOG (April 2012 BOTM)
1976 LTD - '993 LTD...and so it begins'

You should remember that it's peace of mind you're after and not just fixing the machine. R.Pirsig
Dangeruss

Post by Dangeruss »

Thanks Fred. the mount is an old piece of chrome rod we had laying around the retail store. I cut to length and fitted some 1/2 inch diameter pipe into the ends and mounted the turn signals on the stubs just like the factory mounts. Turned out OK, will have to see how it weathers, probably look rusty after the first rain. :IDTS:

The fender mount is achieved with a couple of 1 3/4 automotive muffler brackets. Holds really solid, but not very graceful. Trust me, it looks better in the picture than it actually is. lolol

Russ
2016 K1600GT
75 GL1000 Project

Brant
Board of Directors
Board of Directors
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/brant/

Post by Brant »

Man thats nice Russ.
83 GL 1100 bagger Ugly Betty
ALL WE WANT TO DO IS DRINK OUR ESPRESSO, RIDE OUR MACHINES, AND NOT BE HASSLED BY THE MAN
Owning a motorcycle is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that.
"Don't sweat the little things, guys, take care and appreciate all that you have around you!" - Fewman
NGWclub on Facebook
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

I saw Russ's ride last Sunday, and the pictures do not do it justice. And hey, Russ, I like your fender mounts!
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

very nice, and a great write up
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200