GL1100 Flat Tracker

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

hmratbam
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: GL1100 Flat Tracker

Post by hmratbam »

DSC00094.JPG
DSC00094.JPG (286.13 KiB) Viewed 203 times
This is the promised picture of how the 1100 electronics mounted on the 1000 shelter frame.
DSC00096.JPG
DSC00096.JPG (259.69 KiB) Viewed 203 times
The air cleaner. Straightforward fab job.build a box of suitable material("Road Closed"sign) and a ring of 2'X 1/4 aluminum flat stock(what I had.something else would work) when cutting the hole in the bottom of the box leave some tabs to pop rivet to the ring.
DSC00095.JPG
DSC00095.JPG (186.76 KiB) Viewed 203 times
Add a couple of tabs to hold the filter in place. If I can find the right screen I'll but a flame arrestor screen in the bottom of the box. The box is ! 1/2" deep,just a figure I pulled out of what I use for a mind,it has to be deep enough to allow room for all the air to get over to the hole. The 2" ring could also be shorter as long as it's tall enough to allow the box to clear all the carb linkage. There is plenty of room in the shelter so there's no reason to crowd things. There's still probably enough room left for some tools etc. if I want to fab up some kind of a lid for the air cleaner.
The wheels are all built, the second one(I just re-spoked the rear with stainless spokes) was not nearly as nice as the first one. The weld in the rim was just plain ugly and the aluminum seems to not be homogenous, As I polish there are dark streaks in the metal and I worked for over an hour to get it within .010. I was also way up in the torque range to push the flat spots up,must have been made on a Mon. or Fri. The "tins" are coming along,I haven't had an undercoat wrinkle up in a while! If the tires would get here we'd be on the road in a couple of hours. I'm not going to put gas in the tank and fire it up until it'll roll. If something went wrong with it wheelless on the table things could get "interesting" in hurry!
Proud member of the NGW Cartel
My Album
Jesus is Lord ! Hope is not a plan
83 Ascempade has become a trike with 1200 fork tubes and Maxda Miata rear suspension.
84 Standard ongoing project
82 Interstate 35k reincarnated as a "Street Tracker"
hmratbam
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by hmratbam »

BigBrian27 wrote:I LOVE the fan mounting solution. I hope you don't mind me stealing that idea.
Help yourself! I had to put a spacer behind the top bolt where it mounts to the radiator. The bracket on the radiator sticks out just enough to cause a racket when the fan is running,an 1/8" spacer between the fan bracket and the radiator cured that. Or don't push the new fan down in the old mount quite as far. Check all that before you bolt it all together.
My Album
83 Ascempade has become a trike with 1200 fork tubes and Maxda Miata rear suspension.
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

sunnbobb wrote:... Man you move fast!.
Boy, you're not kidding. Makin' the rest of us (ok, me) look bad. Then again, I actually DO have a job, a miserable boss, a wife/mate who must shop for the season, am a hopeless audiophile, horse trade a few <ahem> 2nd amendment items, and keep three tanks of African cichlids.

OK, enough excuses. I am dying to see this thing finished - and a few action shots, like of you sideways with a black rooster tail spraying up behind you.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
hmratbam
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by hmratbam »

desertrefugee wrote:
Boy, you're not kidding. Makin' the rest of us (ok, me) look bad. Then again, I actually DO have a job, a miserable boss, a wife/mate who must shop for the season, am a hopeless audiophile, horse trade a few <ahem> 2nd amendment items, and keep three tanks of African cichlids.
I have 316 songs in I-tunes so I don't need to do anything for about 13 hrs audio-wise,the "2nd amendment items" do consume some of my time. I raise(reload) all their fodder and ,of course, they need occasional exercise. I also conduct training in their proper use. After about 10 years in the Navy I don't eat fish,let alone raise 'em! Do African cichlids taste like chicken? I guess it's all a matter of priorities. If you ever see me w/o grease under my fingernails,call the priest,I'm probably deceased!
As for the rooster tail,I have zero skills with photoshop so you probably won't see that!
My Album
hmratbam
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by hmratbam »

DSC00097.JPG
DSC00097.JPG (272.1 KiB) Viewed 151 times
I don't particularly care for the seat that came from the Hotglass people.So let's see if we can do something about it.
DSC00098.JPG
DSC00098.JPG (184.49 KiB) Viewed 151 times
We have now removed from the raw material that particular piece of metal that contains the seat base.
DSC00099.JPG
DSC00099.JPG (270.6 KiB) Viewed 151 times
We are now attempting to make it resemble the stock seat.For those lucky people who possess a slip roll machine,it's a piece of strudel. For the rest of us a a little improvisation is in order. Did you know that a chunk of road sign will just fit between the tailgate and the bed of a 1951 GMC 1/2 ton pickup? To make rounded bends you pull it toward the tailgate,to make sharper bends you push it toward the frame. This is not recommended for those who own F---s or D----s the hinge may not take the strain!Also anything made in the last half-century may not be up to the task. After a period of pushing and pulling the new piece curves somewhat like the original.
To be continued.
My Album
hmratbam
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by hmratbam »

Once we have the shape pretty close it's time to remove the "sign"
DSC00100.JPG
DSC00100.JPG (221.47 KiB) Viewed 151 times
The "sign comes off in layers,each one loosened by another application of stripper. As a nice guy I am going to recommend the approprite ppe(personal protective equipment). Even if I don't suggest it the user will quickly find some after getting some of that stuff on bare skin
DSC00101.JPG
DSC00101.JPG (233.13 KiB) Viewed 151 times
DSC00102.JPG
DSC00102.JPG (222.25 KiB) Viewed 151 times
After the second or third application of the stripper the law of diminishing returns takes over and we start with other methods. Wire brushing is effective for awhile,finally we go to Acetone and/or B-12 carb cleaner,MEK would probably work too,but I don't have any left and it's a little hard to come by something about EPA rules or something?
Last edited by hmratbam on Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Album
hmratbam
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by hmratbam »

Once we have all the "sign " off it's time to figure out a way to hold this part to the main part. I like these "rivnuts" or whatever you call 'em.
DSC00103.JPG
DSC00103.JPG (208.5 KiB) Viewed 146 times
DSC00104.JPG
DSC00104.JPG (195.59 KiB) Viewed 146 times
I like them enough to invest in a dedicated tool.There are a myriad of different sizes,grip ranges etc. The problem here is I only had 2 M6's,more on order,you might guess I use a lot of 1/4-20's.
DSC00105.JPG
DSC00105.JPG (117.17 KiB) Viewed 146 times
Can you guess what the next installment will be? Which piece-the 4" block,the6" block or the big piece that came out of the truck. When I built the truck seat I made the bottom cushion 6". After it was in there I couldn't get under the steering wheel? So I put in a thinner piece 3" if I remember correctly.
More to come.
Last edited by hmratbam on Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Album
hmratbam
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by hmratbam »

Went with the piece out of the truck,marked out a junk and got out the tool.
DSC00106.JPG
DSC00106.JPG (160.45 KiB) Viewed 143 times
This process is very much like the seat pan,you just remove all the material that isn't part of what you want the end product to look like. The skill set here is to know which piece of raw material contains the desired item. I learned that in the Navy. Not seat cushions,I worked in the machine shop but the exact same principle applies
DSC00107.JPG
DSC00107.JPG (141.79 KiB) Viewed 143 times
DSC00108.JPG
DSC00108.JPG (148.21 KiB) Viewed 143 times
Time to quit.A very rough start but the knife was getting hot and it's suppertime! The material isn't here yet and I want to try pulling it over some edges and around corners before I get too far with the foam. BTW if anyone out there thinks I know what I'm doing,think again! I'm as curious about how this is going to turn out as you are! . The good part about this project is that if it doesn't turn out I still have the other seat. Worst case I can use it as it is or I can maybe stretch a piece of the new"color matched"(I hope!)material. I did just that with the Ascot and it turned out OK.
Stay tuned!
My Album
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Looking good. I am interested in where you find the signs for your project?
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS:
hmratbam
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by hmratbam »

Salvage yard. He's got a pile of 'em. I think it's 86 cents a pound. Whatever scrap aluminum goes for. For me it's way cheaper than sheet steel. If you're gonna polish it use the "sign" side it will have fewer scratches etc. that you need to buff out. The firewalls in my hot rod and the '51 GMC are polished aluminum.
My Album
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Really enjoying this one. Hurry up with supper.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
duke182
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!
My Album: http://ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/duke182/

Post by duke182 »

Great progress.
Having a blast following along.
God bless those who protect our freedom, at every level

Knees in the breeze makes miles of smiles

"Strive for progress, not perfection"-a wise man

1984 1200 standard
click pic to see my gallery

vote in my poll
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

I've heard you can freeze that foam and then sand it smooth..
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

sunnbobb wrote:I've heard you can freeze that foam and then sand it smooth..

Don't "have" to freeze it. You can use an angle grinder to shape it. Do it outside though. ;)

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

I always have trouble with the grinder tearing it uo
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.