King_Coopr's "Project" Log

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

King_Coopr
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Re: King_Coopr's "Project" Log

Post by King_Coopr »

:( so I figured out why the final drive isn't going on to the wheel like it should. It appears it's hitting on the cover....what are my options? The outside on the wheel should be on the inside of the cover correct? Do I need the cover? Can I trim it?
Attachments
IMG_1073.JPG
IMG_1073.JPG (259.74 KiB) Viewed 230 times
IMG_1074.JPG
IMG_1074.JPG (228.77 KiB) Viewed 230 times
King_Coopr
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by King_Coopr »

Maybe im jumping to conclusions but looking at the pics that were linked earlier it doesn't look like that cover goes on the wheel very far. I'll have to look at it again and make sure. It seemed like it fit just fine but I assumed it would slide on to the wheel farther.
Attachments
IMG_1036.PNG
IMG_1036.PNG (1.27 MiB) Viewed 220 times
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Wondering about your wheel and whether you using a 1200 final drive or 1500 final drive? If a 1200 final drive, only 88-89 wheels would fit. I can't tell from looking which you have.

I was lucky and got the whole 1500 rear end for $75 with a good tire, brakes, pads, brake lines. Going the other way can add up nickels and dimes.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
King_Coopr
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by King_Coopr »

Both wheel and final drive are 1500
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

You do have to rotate them a bit to get the splines to engage. I assume you've spun it around a few times?
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
King_Coopr
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by King_Coopr »

How does this look? When I spin the shaft the wheel spins so it's working as intended
Attachments
IMG_1078.JPG
IMG_1078.JPG (197.25 KiB) Viewed 198 times
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

It looks pretty close the picture from above. Must be good. The locknut on the axle is a little shy of catching all the threads. Mine is that way. I would feel better with a cotter pin in it. Not sure if a different 1200 axle would reach, I think it would.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
King_Coopr
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by King_Coopr »

My throttle doesn't snap back. I assume it's from going stock handlebars to club mans. Anyone know off hand what cable length I need or which can swap in?

Also what's the consensus on Shinko 777 tires?
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

The easiest way to figure the new cable length, assuming it is routed where you want it, would be to disconnect the cable end on the throttle side, take up the slack and hold it in place while you turn the bars to figure out how much slack you need. Then measure how much shorter you need to make the new cable. I believe Motion Pro makes cables to spec.
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
King_Coopr
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by King_Coopr »

Messed with the rear some more today...still doesn't seem right. The shocks I have are definitely not going to work. So I put on the stock ones and the rotor rubs on them too. Something isn't right but I don't know what.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Maybe see if something here clicks:
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-g ... rakes.html

Could it be the dust shield?
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
King_Coopr
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by King_Coopr »

Thanks Eric you've been a lot of help so far! No it's not the dust shield I took it off and tried it just to make sure that wasn't it. I'm going to snap some pics and post them maybe tomorrow or Friday. I feel like I'm missing something simple because everything I've read this seems like a fairly straightforward swap. Mind boggling
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Mine went in easily. The only thing I can come up with is the possibility that you have the early 88-89 final drive with the 90-2000 wheel??? Have you fished into the grease and made sure a stray nut or something isn't in the final drive gear? It's probably something simple.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
King_Coopr
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by King_Coopr »

Will that make a difference because I know my wheel is a 93 not sure the year of final drive. I do also have an 88 wheel but it is missing the spline/hub
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

88-89 had six pin hubs rather than five pins. Do you know what year your final drive is? I'd help more if I'd done the same swap, but really all I'm doing is reading the info posted in the other links.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces