King_Coopr's "Project" Log

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Re: King_Coopr's "Project" Log

Post by Track T 2411 »

The 1200's never used a mechanical tach, so if you're desire is to use stock style gauges, you are going to need to do some work! There is a thread on modifying the electronic 1200 tach guts to fit into an 1100 style gauge pod. In fact, I think Cyborg may be familiar with that process.

As far as the wiring goes, unless you're a masochist or a wiring guru, rewiring the entire bike is a serious undertaking. Don't let it bog down the whole project. In my humble opinion, change or repair what you need to, and move on to more important stuff. I'm saying this from experience...
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
King_Coopr
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by King_Coopr »

Well that's a bummer...I really don't like the looks of the gauge cluster and doesn't fit the look I want to go for.
King_Coopr
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by King_Coopr »

Doesn't Mike-c have an 84 aspy with normal gauges and round headlight? I tried to look for a picture and couldn't find one that was still working
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

0 I have a 1200 tach in a 1000 housing. Works good. I did the conversion myself. Wasn't that hard
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
King_Coopr
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by King_Coopr »

Got a picture of how it looks? I'm sure I'll see it in person sometime soon but wanna get an idea in my head lol
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

no pictures. But it looks like a stock 1000 tach. Take a minute. and come over for a look.....when you can
1978 custom GL1000
1985 gl1200
King_Coopr
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by King_Coopr »

Like this one?
Attachments
GL1000_052.JPG
GL1000_052.JPG (55.14 KiB) Viewed 222 times
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

You the can make it look anyway you want. I just installed the face plate I wanted on the electronic tach, and mounted it in the 1000 ho I think the tach came out of a Yamaha tach. I really don't remember, just something I had laying around
1978 custom GL1000
1985 gl1200
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Track T 2411 »

King_Coopr wrote:Like this one?
That is what a 'stock' gauge cluster would look like. If you go aftermarket, you will have a much wider variety to choose from...

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:

Under Construction:

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
New2U Bike? Read Me.
King_Coopr
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by King_Coopr »

Got to work on it for a few mins today and played with the handlebars a little and kinda like them like this lol mini ape hangers
Attachments
0927152242.jpg
0927152242.jpg (63.41 KiB) Viewed 202 times
King_Coopr
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by King_Coopr »

A couple of questions....

1. One of the air lines that goes from the forks to the fairing is broke. Is there a way to remove the lines and add a fitting to add air when needed and rid myself of the on board compressor?

2. In order to use the digital gauges (for now) do I have to remove the wiring inside the fairing so everything will connect?

3. My exhaust brackets were rusted out so now I have straight pipes while it sounds cool is way to loud and wondered about cheap alternatives. Ive read about using Harley exhausts, is it specific models? Smaller/more discrete the better as Im going for that cafe look.

Thanks and sorry for the questions but im a noob :/
King_Coopr
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by King_Coopr »

Well after a little more searching I've found the answers to a few of my questions. The progressive springs will allow me to run without the air and I can use harley slipons and just so happens a guy I know has some stock ones and aftermarket one that may work.
King_Coopr
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by King_Coopr »

Still debating wether I wanna remove the motor and clean it up a bit and repaint the frame or powdercoat but I'm trying to be as budget friendly as possible right now. Gotta get the gl1100 tank then I can start making the seat pan. Kinda at a holding pattern until I start spending money. Ugh
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Track T 2411 »

King_Coopr wrote:Still debating wether I wanna remove the motor and clean it up a bit and repaint the frame or powdercoat but I'm trying to be as budget friendly as possible right now. Gotta get the gl1100 tank then I can start making the seat pan. Kinda at a holding pattern until I start spending money. Ugh
Just some advise from someone who's been there, done that. Fix what needs to be fixed, one thing at a time, until you can get it out on the road. Then you can go back and do the cosmetic stuff, modifications, etc, with confidence that everything works as it should, and will when you're done. This approach works on several levels. First, the bike remains rideable most of the time. Second, you get a feel for the bike and how much you like working on it. Third, you can budget your expenses better, as well as shop around for the bigger purchases later. Fourth, you will get a feel for just how much of a project a full-on refurb/custom is, and how much time you will be able to dedicate to it. I sat staring at a pile of parts, frames, wheels, and fairings (and moved the lot of them a couple of times :roll: ) for a couple of years due to either money, time, and/or motivation issues, when I probably could have been riding. My 2 cents.

Good wrenchin'
Todd

Current Rides:

Under Construction:

In The Shed:
New2U Bike? Read Me.
King_Coopr
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by King_Coopr »

Thanks well put...

Small update:

The project has a name! I asked my kids to name her and only daughter came up with one - Miss Alice. So I'll call her Alice!

Also snagged a Harley exhaust off of a guy I work with for $20. I still need to make a bracket to mount it but I "mocked" how it should look just to see what I thought. What do you guys think? At first I thought it was way too big.
Attachments
1015151146~2.jpg
1015151146~2.jpg (65.5 KiB) Viewed 139 times