Meet Valerie; 1976 GL1000 Custom Transformation

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

Taylorious
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Meet Valerie; 1976 GL1000 Custom Transformation

Post by Taylorious »

What's good NGW boys + girls;

I'm amped to be here! I'm Taylorious, owner of the 650b behemoth "Valerie", a 1976 GL1000 with 42.5K, and largely original. I had/have NO idea what I was getting into when I bought her about 1 month ago... (weight, performance, maintenance intervals, etc.)

...But, that's precisely why I got into the GL game!

PRE-GL Backstory:

...I'm from a rural town south of the bay, and moved to the bay area to begin working as a teacher about 3.5 years ago. My background with wrenching was largely small-bore (-650cc) single cylinder dirt-bikes and dual-sports. Have had, over the years, 3 KLR's, 1 XR650L, 2 TTR125's, 1 XR100, a KLX250... and so on. Just proper 'go-do-dumb-stuff-off-road' bikes. devil1 ..but, I moved to the Bay area, and realized that slamming 650cc's of oil-cooled/dirt-geared/knobby-tire'd/90' wind-in-face ergonomics wasn't what it was all about for the Interstate.

...Enter a V-Strom 1000. Great bike, wonderful touring, GOBS of low-end... BUT, it lacked that 'soul' I was wanting that a truly dedicated ROAD-bike had... It seemed like it was truly trying to "do too much." And, the KLR's/XR's in my past laughed at the 'ADV' notion of a 550lb beast off-road, as did I, when I took it there.

...after going back to, and resto-modding a glamorous '89 KLR, I realized that it suited my needs overall more equitably. (I truly think that KLR's are some of the best bikes ever made) ...but, again... if the 'strom was a "Doing too much" bike, than the KLR was it's father. TRULY; the KLR, to me, is Taoism incarnate. It can do everything, but nothing well. It's greatness exists in that it does nothing great. It's beauty consists of its functionality and lack of excess; the antithesis of beauty. ...and, it made my girlfriend's booty hurt for long rides. So, it was sold. crying1

GL1000 INFO/INTRODUCTION:

I purchased "Valerie" with the money from the KLR sale, after getting another plated Dualsport... I though her name was a myriad of other things at the time. P/O was one of the most forthright and mechanically skilled individuals I've met out in the East Bay.
It had a few issues when I bought it;
- Leaking L front fork seal
- Turn Signals "removed"

P/O gave me the 411 on the restoration work he'd done to get the bike running, which included, but is not limited to;
- New Belt ( @ 40K)
- Carb Cleaning / Synchronize
- Seat Reupholster
- New Pads / Steel lines up front
- Fork-Brace
- Recent (-2Kmi) Driveline Lube
- New Dunlop Tires
- Many OEM parts sourced to replace non-Original fixes from previous owners (Brake Master, Mirrors, etc.)

Things I knew I wanted to do right away;
- Add a fairing (NOT a 'Jammer, but something small to cut the wind)
- Drop the bars (NOT café style, but something between 'Drag' and 'Dirt'-style)
- Take off the OEM Mirrors, and replace with something less huge and rattly.
- Re-Paint it. I knew that the Brown on the bike now is NOT original, and thusly... gave me a canvas.
- Add Turn-Signals

Of COURSE, Val had other plans;
DAY 1 RIDE through the east bay locked the front wheels up. The "Hard-Sourced" OEM Brake Master Cyl. had gummed the fluid return hole, and with it... locked my front wheels slowly with every pull of the brake. I stripped her front calipers, and rode home 50% brakeless. But I never lost faith! (Ok, maybe I swore a little bit.) Even the P/O helped me diagnose it over the phone, and I de-gunked the entire Master-Cyl. the next day, cleaned all the parts... re-bled the hoses and got the bike nice a happy. She's a real runner now.

Now; I've done some unique mods recently... :flamer :flamer :flamer but I'll need to get the time to post those later. (I'm currently at school!) Here's some teasers:

WITNESS ME
Any 411's appreciated, and any insight/foresight 100% accepted and welcomed!

WITNESS ME :flamer

If the only tool you have is a HAMMER, everything begins to look like a nail

Santa Cruzian by Way-Of-Oakland.

76' GL1000 "gonna-be-something-special" build
04' KLX300R Rumpus Mobile (plated)
90' XR100R Goon Mobile (plated)
TNTbefree
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Meet Valerie; 1976 GL1000 Custom Transformation

Post by TNTbefree »

She's a beauty. Looking forward to seeing how she turns out. Welcome to the club BTW...
Taylorious
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Taylorious »

UPDATES:

It's finals week for my students, and I've been busy because of this as well. That said, there's ALWAYS time to putz with the moto.

Ended up finishing both a Dynatek S install, and a custom exhaust install!
Thank goodness it all turned out

So; What'd I do?

I bought some Leo-Vince SBK's here off of a 2003-2007 KTM Superduke, and since they were 2.1" OD pipes, I worked with a friend to cut up some cheaply chrome plated 80's Aftermarket "Rocky-Brand" Martini-Mixer exhaust off a CB350 he was building previously.

Why the dumpy-ol' Rocky's?
Because they had the perfect taper from 1 7/8" to 3"+ and upsweep for the Leo's!
So, using a metal-cutting bandsaw, we chopped them at 2.1", and welded the mid pipe sections we cut from the Leo's collector / header pipes on. Then, it was just a matter of welding on tensioning tabs for the springs, and putting them on.

Thoughts/Impressions:

The sound is incredible. I haven't even taken the baffles out, it's PRECISELY where I want it. Low and bubbly.

The performance is excellent. I don't know if throttle response improved both from the de-restricted pipes, or if the Dynatek also helped that... but, it howls now. MUCH faster in the mid-range, and at W.O.T.

I'm glad I did readily-removable cans so I can go full unbaffled headers... BUT, the real reason for this was to facilitate rear tire work / brake work. Simple removal of a single spring and the OEM hanger 14mm bolt and the cans come right off.

...so, suppose if anyone wants my old OEM exhaust, holler! Let's talk! :flamer

Here's the photos:

ADDITIONAL STUFF UPCOMING / Info-Request:

I'm going to install some crash-bars / engine guards.

I've got them in the second photo, sitting to the right side of the bike. The issue I've run into is:

THE REAR UPPER ENGINE MOUTING BOLT is TOO SHORT to facilitate mounting. The front bolts are fine, as are the lowers... all have plenty of thread and space. This bolt is 10-11" long, chrome plated, and runs across the engine behind the carbs.
...I assume these crash-bars likely came from a Kit in "the day", and that kit likely had a longer bolt.
...I also assume that I can FIND a bolt of this size.

...I just wanted to know if anyone has had experience with this bolt, or finding replacements that are 1"-2" longer.

Thanks! More to come!

Taylorious
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Taylorious »

Bolt Update:

ACE seems to not carry the bolt I need. Trying Fastenal and "Bay-Bolt" tomorrow. Looking for a 13"-13.5" long 3/8 hex head bolt.

...THE SEARCH CONTINUES! Happy February, ya'll.

Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

On that bolt, I'm thinkin' all-thread could work. Pro Bolt probably doesn't carry that length. Grainger might carry it.
The 28# Grainger catalog just arrived at the store today, & it lists the threaded rod you may need. Page 2201 or go to the website. Threaded rods, low carbon steel. There should be a Grainger in the Bay Area.
If there is one thing I have learned throughout this process it is this: Check your respirator for spiders before you put it on.
Taylorious
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Taylorious »

Patriccio wrote: Grainger might carry it..
What's good, Patriccio!

Thanks so much! I finally called out enough part #'s with Fastenal, and they got me one coming in 1 week!

Stoked dancr

Now, it's onto the next few mods... (Yes, a late-60's fairing is in the mix... does this mean I'm no longer NGW-worthy?)

Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Welcome to the 'Wingdom.

All sorts of these old girls here .... some even fully dressed .... all are Welcome ....

Gord crossy.gif
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
brokentoe
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by brokentoe »

Nice. Love the pics. Welcome from Indy. :crosso
Faith, Family and Friends
'75 GL1000 (Feb 2012 BOTM)
2014 Softail Deluxe
1966 Suzuki S 32-2 Olympian

The craftsman is proud of what he has made, and cherishes it, while the consumer discards things that are perfectly serviceable in his restless pursuit of the new." Richard Sennett as quoted by Matthew B. Crawford in Shop Class as Soulcraft

Working on your own motorcycle is half of the fun...it's also half of the problem.

First Fire on Youtube!
Taylorious
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Taylorious »

Hey!

...ah the sweet smell of progress!
(Which, in this case, generally smells like angle-grinders, wire-feed welders, and mid-day brews)

So, I took a day off, and rode in the rain here in the Bay with some of the various parts I'd accumulated out to a friend's house who's a custom café and scrambler builder.

Spent about 10hrs +/- welding, grinding, re-fitting, etc... and this is the finished product as of yesterday;

What ARE you looking at?!

- It's a BMW 1964 R/2 fairing, scored for 50$ on eBay, modded to fit a 7" diameter headlight. Did 100% custom mounting of the fairing.
(Currently, I've got those funny little blinker housing on the end of the mounting arms, but they're gonna go... I'm not into the look of the "Honda-Davidson" haha.)

-Then, I replaced the stock H4 bulb+housing with an AMAZING 2-mode LED headlight from Amazon... it's WORLDS brighter. I REALLY can't recommend this enough. If you want the details/link, I got you. It's the best mod.
Additionally, I extended the headlight brackets about 6" forward to fit the fairing flush. Kept OEM bucket.

- Added some subframe 1/4" stock to make a rear rack mount for some Buco saddlebags I scored on Craigslist. They mounted great. I'm not gonna put them up here until I get them PAINTED the way I want! :flamer

-And, finally got the Crash-Bars/Engine-Guards on. Thank goodness, the Highway pegs are MONEY.

...SO; WHAT'S NEXT?

Tires.
- I'm thinking 140/80-17 / 100/90-19, and something dual-sport-y. (Within weight and speed rating)
If not, perhaps those Shinko 777 white-walls. They look pretty clean...
I had a line on some Pirelli MT60's, and the front was my size... but the rear was in 130/80-17. I'm not sure that's best, since I lose .5" of sidewall, no?

TIRE QUESTION: Anyone run a 130/80-17 rear + have insight? AND/OR Anyone run Dual-Sport tires and have foresight on 'best?'

A Custom Seat.
- I scored a 70's Corbin Gentry King/Queen seat on eBay for about 50$ + shipping... and, whilst it'll need a reupholster, it'll be WAY comfy when it's done, and add that extra 'funk' I'm after. Definitely gonna' get a custom patch or two sewn in... very post-apocalyitic.

A Sissy Bar.
- The seat actually has a built-in backrest for the passenger. BUT, I don't know if it'll need support. Regardless; I planned to build up a nasty little thing for the rear so I can more readily strap skateboards and other bits onto the back of the bike... esp. stuff that doesn't fit the Buco Boxes. ...Maybe dangle a welded-up baby's head with little L.E.D.'s in the eyes or something equally ratty. confused22

Auxiliary lighting / L.E.D. bulb replacement on Tail-Light.
- I realized that I need the stock housing to provide adequate rear visibility, and nothing I found (both fender and housing) really 'grabbed me.' So, I'm just going to add an L.E.D. bulb and call it done.
I've got some 18w Cree L.E.D. Auxiliary light pods + harnesses from when I was still building a 89' KLR650A3. I'm going to snap them onto the crash-bars, and call 'electrics' done.

ELECTRIC QUESTION: Anyone got the 411 on how best to check the amperage output of the stock stator? I've got 300w, I believe, so sayeth the internet... And, so, I figure that if I cut my head/taillights draw down significantly, I can afford to have a 'sometimes on' 18W AUX light set, and perhaps a heated vest at 7.5A?
(Electricity is not my strong suit... so not trying to go too hardbody here!)
devil1

A Shorty Windshield:
- a homebrew shop near me has all kinds of Plexiglass cuttings. I'ma score a green or yellow one, and make a shorty screen to keep the bugs off 'me dome-piece.

PAINT IT.
- ...so, I happened on this NASTY paint that's perfect for my purposes. It's a "Modern Masters" product called "Rust Activator" for nonmetallic surfaces. Essentially, it's a 4 step process. 1) Prime 2) Paint coats with their "Iron Oxide" infused paint. 3) Use their proprietary 'activator' (I assume some low-level acid) to create rust in the paint. 4) Seal it with a special top-coat.

...that'll be on the tank, the cases, and the lower 2/3's of the front fairing. Keeping side cover(s) black, and doing some custom sticker/striping/drilling/'ish down there.

RIDE / MAINTAIN THIS BEAST:
...Oil changes. Coolant Refill. Steering Head Bearings(?) Brake Pad check-in. Front Right Brake Piston fluid leak address... ...don't drop it?

...haha. That's about it for now.
Until the next update!

-BLESS UP-

Taylorious
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Taylorious »

RAT wrote:Welcome to the 'Wingdom.

all are Welcome ....

THAT is what I'm talkin' about. So down for plurality. Thanks, man!

Taylorious
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Taylorious »

brokentoe wrote:Nice. Love the pics.
Yea man! I'll keep it up. I feel the hardest part of the build is always taking photos. I get so caught up in the moment, doing the work, solving the problems, and rectifying shortcomings that I get forgetful! The next few steps, I'll kick more photos to ya'll.

sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

Welcome, and it looks like you are trucking right along.
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
Patriccio
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Patriccio »

If you have the cash, you may want to check into Evans waterless coolant. I've heard it's expensive, but you only use it once. Also, on the tires I installed a nice set of Conti Attacks because they are used on bigger BMWs, similar weight. On the picture taking, I usually have a ping pong paddle nearby so I can slap myself in the head each time I forget to take a picture for the NGWclub gang. The guys on this website have saved me many times, & we really like pictures.
ciao
If there is one thing I have learned throughout this process it is this: Check your respirator for spiders before you put it on.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Nice fairing mount. Good helper too.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Taylorious
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Taylorious »

ericheath wrote:Good helper too.
For real. Doggo is the real deal. My welder friend ain't bad either. God love them both.