Dual carbs gl1100

This is where discussions of EFI systems, Dual Carbs, Single Carb mods and plans can be discussed and shared.

If you are working on or have a problem with stock carbs then your questions do not belong here, please post them in the Goldwing Tech Discussions Forum.

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

Daijen
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Re: Dual carbs gl1100

Post by Daijen »

I'd also be curious to know if anyone has run this type setup with straight pipes. My very limited knowledge tells me I'd have to run a richer mix, but with the easily accessed dual carbs it would seem like the ability to adjust as needed would be there. Or that's my weak theory and I'm sticking to it--until I learn better. Great thread.
Dave
North-Central Ohio
1981 GL1100
gregforesi
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Greg+Foresi/

Post by gregforesi »

I ran straight pipes for a bit. Not as brutally loud as the megaphones without baffles, but loud.
The combination of open exhaust and free intake means more top end HP but will cause it to run lean at high rpm. You might need to go to 115 mains, but first try going smaller on the air correctors. I'm running 145's over the 110 mains with essentially no air filters and race baffles that I opened up even more. I had to give it more squirt on the accellerator pump as well.
I've said this before..."When I get it down around 27mpg, I know I've been having big fun!" Nobody makes this mod for fuel economy.
2006 GL1800 (Brutus Maximus)
1978 GL1000 (White Trash - 2012 BOTY
(If you want to discuss the Trashmobile, Webers, Rearsets, Clubmans, or other stuff then send me a PM.)
"Getting old ain't for sissies" - Phyllis Diller
"So how much you gonna spend to win that $5 trophy?" - Cyborg
Daijen
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Daijen »

gregforesi wrote:I ran straight pipes for a bit. Not as brutally loud as the megaphones without baffles, but loud.
The combination of open exhaust and free intake means more top end HP but will cause it to run lean at high rpm. You might need to go to 115 mains, but first try going smaller on the air correctors. I'm running 145's over the 110 mains with essentially no air filters and race baffles that I opened up even more. I had to give it more squirt on the accellerator pump as well.
I've said this before..."When I get it down around 27mpg, I know I've been having big fun!" Nobody makes this mod for fuel economy.
Excellent. Exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks.
Dave
North-Central Ohio
1981 GL1100
Millwright
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Millwright »

Here is a couple pics of the mufflers I installed. Made by Super trapp. The thing I liked about these mufflers, is that they are adjustable in that, the more plates you add to the end of the muffler, the more air flow you get out and the louder they get. The ones I bought came with 15 plates, so that is what I started with. I liked the sound, not too loud but louder than most stock wings. A nice rumble. As far as jetting goes, keep in mind that Gregs bike is a 1000 cc. Looking at his numbers you should bump them all for the 1100cc motor with these mufflers. I run air fuel mixture guages all the time and when the main jets kick in about 4000 rpm, I am about 12.5 on the gauges. They provide more than enough power, for the riding I do. :-D

Millwright
Attachments
_DSC3238 copy.jpg
_DSC3238 copy.jpg (196.14 KiB) Viewed 413 times
P5150043 copy.jpg
P5150043 copy.jpg (169.14 KiB) Viewed 413 times
SuperTrapp Exhaust.jpg
SuperTrapp Exhaust.jpg (39.26 KiB) Viewed 413 times
1983 GL1100 Standard
Image My build thread.
Blackmagic
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by Blackmagic »

The key to doing this entire thing is buying the manifolds from Randakk. That gets you the manifolds AND 45 pages of instructions. Priceless in making the conversion.
Daijen
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Daijen »

Millwright wrote:Here is a couple pics of the mufflers I installed. Made by Super trapp. The thing I liked about these mufflers, is that they are adjustable in that, the more plates you add to the end of the muffler, the more air flow you get out and the louder they get. The ones I bought came with 15 plates, so that is what I started with. I liked the sound, not too loud but louder than most stock wings. A nice rumble. As far as jetting goes, keep in mind that Gregs bike is a 1000 cc. Looking at his numbers you should bump them all for the 1100cc motor with these mufflers. I run air fuel mixture guages all the time and when the main jets kick in about 4000 rpm, I am about 12.5 on the gauges. They provide more than enough power, for the riding I do. :-D

I don't know if they're for me, but they look awesome on your bike. I had a custom 100" Evo at one time, used the Supertrapps and liked them quite a lot. The info helps a bunch. Thanks

Millwright
Dave
North-Central Ohio
1981 GL1100
Daijen
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Daijen »

Blackmagic wrote:The key to doing this entire thing is buying the manifolds from Randakk. That gets you the manifolds AND 45 pages of instructions. Priceless in making the conversion.
That thought had definitely occurred to me. I will definitely do that. Thanks
Dave
North-Central Ohio
1981 GL1100
earthquake
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by earthquake »

I would think 36mm Dellorto's would be perfect but they have not made dells since the early 90's and parts are getting harder to get, If you can find a set CB Performance should be able to get kits for them.
Avoid Webers made in the USA they have a porosity problem and have internal leaks, Italian Webers are considered the best but Spanish made IDF's are pretty good too. EMPI carbs are ok if you get the later model carbs, the early one had a few problems.

Casey
"If it shines, bends, bangs or clangs, ITS METAL!!! and if I cant work it, I"ll piss on it!"

I love Boxer engines be GoldWing or VW

http://www.rememberingkelly.com/
gregforesi
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Greg+Foresi/

Post by gregforesi »

This isn't specific to this build, and maybe it should go somewhere else, but here it is. It's something that anyone running V-stacks has to deal with. Here's what I did.

Without a covering air filter housing, there are holes in the carb tops that need to be dealt with.
Here are a couple of photos of the mods I made to the carb tops to keep junk out.

This first shot is of the topside of the carb top. The yellow circles show the idle air inlets. In the green circle is the block I made to keep junk out of the fuel bowl vent. The orange ellipse is of the vent holes that go into the cold start circuit. You really don't want a carb with the cold start circuit. The holes are there anyway and simply get plugged with JB weld.
The velocity stacks are actually built for the 44IDF (I couldn't find ones specific to the 40) and so are a bit large though they do bolt right up. With the V-stacks mounted, I scribed a circle around the ID of the bottom of the V-stacks and then used a die grinder to open up the big holes in the carb tops so the incoming air wouldn't have to flow over a step. Bottom of the hole stayed the same size so in essence just the angle of the taper changed.
IMG_1300.JPG
IMG_1300.JPG (40 KiB) Viewed 382 times
Here is a view of the underside of the top. You can see the straight "blind" hole that goes into the aluminum block. The block itself is 3/8x1" aluminum with the bottom shaped to fit into the fuel bowl vent hole. JB weld keeps it there.
Within the red circles are the pieces of air filter foam (from an old weed wacker motor) that I cut to fit into the carb top. They work quite well and need to be cleaned once a year. The filters should be put in place before you put the gasket and float / needle back in.
IMG_1304.JPG
IMG_1304.JPG (30.17 KiB) Viewed 382 times
Finally, here is a shot of the cross hole that goes up into the aluminum block and intersects the vertical blind hole. The fuel bowl can vent, but debris has an extremely tough time trying to jump up into that hole.
IMG_1302.JPG
IMG_1302.JPG (55.57 KiB) Viewed 382 times
2006 GL1800 (Brutus Maximus)
1978 GL1000 (White Trash - 2012 BOTY
(If you want to discuss the Trashmobile, Webers, Rearsets, Clubmans, or other stuff then send me a PM.)
"Getting old ain't for sissies" - Phyllis Diller
"So how much you gonna spend to win that $5 trophy?" - Cyborg
Daijen
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Daijen »

earthquake wrote:I would think 36mm Dellorto's would be perfect but they have not made dells since the early 90's and parts are getting harder to get, If you can find a set CB Performance should be able to get kits for them.
Avoid Webers made in the USA they have a porosity problem and have internal leaks, Italian Webers are considered the best but Spanish made IDF's are pretty good too. EMPI carbs are ok if you get the later model carbs, the early one had a few problems.

Casey
Thanks Casey. There is a shop in Mansfield that is full of old bikes and bike parts. Might check with them on the DellOrtos. Thanks again.
Dave
North-Central Ohio
1981 GL1100
Daijen
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Daijen »

[quote="gregforesi"]This isn't specific to this build, and maybe it should go somewhere else, but here it is. It's something that anyone running V-stacks has to deal with. Here's what I did.

That is great stuff. Thanks so much for taking the time to post this. Really helpful. You guys might actually keep me from drowning when I dive into this.
Dave
North-Central Ohio
1981 GL1100
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

I'd also like to thank Greg for having posted so many tidbits when he went through his conversion. The trouble is, he posted so many tips in so many places, I'm still discovering bit of it. Like the comments above regarding exposed inlet holes in the carb top when running stacks.

Dang it...right after I buttoned mine up.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.