Soldering How-to

Post your "How To", or share tips and tricks about maintenance related to four cylinder Wings. Only registered users can read this forum.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, Forum Moderators

stuka151
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by stuka151 »

Thanks for your comments. I agree a high quality connector will produce a gas tight connection without tinning. However with the garden variety type connector like are found in most auto parts stores or home improvement centers do not mechanically seal the ends of the wire strands from moisture. In this case, tinning the wire helps produce a seal at the ends of the wire strands and a longer lasting connection as the solder does not oxidize as readily as the bare copper. Although as you mentioned the point at which the solid part of the wire returns to strand can be a weak point the I feel the benefits in this case out weigh the potential negatives. Fortunately the connections on a motorcycle do not endure the same environmental stresses as those on an aircraft. I will amend my original post to clarify my position on the matter. I also am going to add the link you provided for the wire splicing method you provided. This would be excellent in situations where the one has enough additional wire to produce this kind of connection.
ImageImageImage
'81 GL1100
'78 GL1000
'76 GL1000
Stuka's Gallery

Blow your mind, smoke gunpowder

Return to “How To 4-Wings (Tutorials Only)”