Duplicolor Cast Iron engine paint

Discuss anything about other motorcycles, accessories, riding gear and other motorcycle related topics.

Moderators: Whiskerfish, ascot, Forum Moderators

HOTT
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.php/wingmans/HOTT

Re: Duplicolor Cast Iron engine paint

Post by HOTT »

Track T 2411 wrote:Some people paint, then take the bolts out one at a time, clean them, then reinstall. You can also use 'liquid mask' (not sure of a brand name) that you can dab on before painting, then remove when done. I don't know of any less tedious way, but others might!
I like to remove one at a time and clean with laquer thinner, then 2-part clear the whole motor.
It's the only way to get that "installed after assembled" :?: look. It won't take you
anymore time and you won't find and accidental dot later.

HOTT
If we can't fix it, we can fix it so no one else can.
the Condor BOTY 2011
Ol' Sparky BOTM Dec. 2011
Lucky #13 BOTY 2018
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Its a little late but
I will be painting the new (1100) engine before I put it in so I'll take pics of it out of the frame this time.

I use the same paint for Eccles' engine The colour is more golden in good light...

I just leave most of the bolts painted to match; After all, Honda used bolts that were more or less the same colour as they painted the engine and it will help protect them from corrosion a bit. For chromed ones I remove them and clean with thinners. When I am doing covers a different colour I sometimes put a spare set on for painting and paint the covers I will be using separately (Mr.H's covers are Rustoleum Hammered Black).
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
tlbranth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tlbranth »

Looks nice Robert. After reading a few caveats about Duplicolor, listening to my friend Peter's opinions about rattle can paint (Peter is a professional auto restorer) and my friend Bob's opinion (Bob is a regular on this forum-Pony Ruiz) that it doesn't hold up to gasoline, I've decided to go 2-part urethane for the engine. Same stuff I'll be using on the rest of the bike. Peter will be doing the painting. I'm doing the prep work. Peter told me he's used this stuff on lots of water-cooled engines and he's never had a failure. The process is prep, epoxy sealer, 2-part urethane paint. Not cheap but should be a one-time event. I have to go to Wesco to pick a color. It'll be something akin to Duplicolor cast iron.
Should I ever actually complete this project, I'll post some pics.
Terry
Don't own a Vanagon
Don't work at Boeing
Life is good

1999 GL1500 SE
2002 Honda VT750 "ACE"
1975 GL1000
1970 CB750
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

That's a good way to go if you can. The single advantage of spray can paint is that it is easier to do touch ups if/when needed because there is virtually no set up.

FWIW, I have had no problems with Duplicolor Engine Enamel and any fluids on my bikes, or with Plastikote Engine Enamel either, which I have used on gas tanks a few times.
Duplicolor touch up paint, on the other hand.... A buddy once painted his bike with that. When he filled up at a self serve a few days later his glove jammed the trigger and the paint washed right off.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....