Cam tensioner heat shields

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

andrewp16
Brass Member
Brass Member

Cam tensioner heat shields

Post by andrewp16 »

Just pulled my covers off of my 75 GL1000 and noticed the left side tensioner heat shield is in pretty rough shape. Its rotted through on the bottom, not sure why yet, but the right isn't too bad. I been reading that the later models did away with the shields. Anybody know if removing them is a good or bad idea? I haven't had a chance to remove one yet, but I'm guessing I could just fabricate on out of sheet metal.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Cam tensioner heat shields

Post by ericheath »

Others have removed them for the same rationale: that later models didn't use them. I haven't heard of any ill effects.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
andrewp16
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by andrewp16 »

How do you like the Power Arc ignition? Seems a little pricey, I just bought the Dyna. I'm thinking in the back of my head, maybe send it back and get the Power Arc? Just wondering if it's worth the difference in cost.
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

Value is in the eye of the beholder. I believe that the C5 is the next step forward. I don't agree with sending something back just because You made a wrong purchase, and are having second thoughts. The Dyna is a good system, I used one for years
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

The PowerArc is not made for a Goldwing. It had to be adapted (read rednecked) to work. C5 is made by PowerArc. Dyna' safe good. Just keep voltage below 15 and grounds good. The new Dyna seems to be encased in plastic more like potting to stop the vibrations from causing the solder joints to come loose.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi