Well nuts, will it never end?

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

John Schmidt
Silver Member
Silver Member

Well nuts, will it never end?

Post by John Schmidt »

After running the bike yesterday and today(which I thought was ready to sell) I noticed a small puddle under the left side head. Ran my finger through it and it smelled oily but didn't have the consistency of oil so held my breath and started the bike again. Sure enough, some pink coolant drips were oozing out off the header bolts on #2. Not what I wanted to see but I've noticed the left side exhaust sounds a bit different than the right so I guess I now know. Hoping it's just a head gasket but with my luck so far it probably won't be. I've had a slight coolant leak(small drip but not the source of the problem mentioned above) from the around the temp sensor and once cleared up today I was back on the road and ready to sell....again. The new valve stem seals did the trick re. smoking at startup so was really encouraged I might actually be at the end. But no! Know what I mean??

Like I said.....will it never end? fly into a rage
1984 GL1200 Standard, work in progress
1998 Valkyrie Tourer, my Honda Davidson ;) Image
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Re: Well nuts, will it never end?

Post by Rat »

Your signature does say 'work in progress' ....

Gord (sympathetic ... been there) Jones
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
John Schmidt
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by John Schmidt »

Gord....don't remind me. I was hoping to change that from "progress" to "completed." :lol: I just did a compression check with all plugs out and full throttle. The engine wasn't hot, just warm enough that I could touch it without being burned.
Results: #1, 2, 3 were all 110, #4 was a needle width below that...maybe 107. That seems rather low but it runs good, really pulls hard when riding it. All the plugs appeared to be firing good, although a bit rich they all look the same. I recently replaced the valve stem seals which took care of the smoking, just wondering if I might have disturbed something else in the process. I'm looking for some suggestions before pulling the head, in case there's something I can look at.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Orings that seal the cross-tubes from the center of the engine to the elbows in the heads tend to leak easily. They are difficult to see as the source as the coolant follows the underside of the elbow and around the head via the protruding head gasket. Gravity takes it down under from there. Mine seal up with a little twist of the tube using a rag and vise grips.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
John Schmidt
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by John Schmidt »

Eric, I can watch the small drops squeezing out where the header flange bolts on. The leaks you mentioned I've had on other engines....from 1000 up through the 1500, so that was one of the first things I checked. I'm going to pull the valve cover and see if there's anything obvious, not really expecting to find something so will probably go ahead and pull the head in the next day or so.
05c50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 05c50 »

John Schmidt wrote:Eric, I can watch the small drops squeezing out where the header flange bolts on.
Does your exhaust leak at the header gasket? I'm not sure why liquid (coolant) would leak and air (exhaust) wouldn't. Many times when a cylinder has coolant in it, the spark plug will look cleaner than the others. Just thinking out loud.

.........Paul
I prefer to ride my wing naked,thank you
My wife asked me "How many bikes does one man need?" My answer "Uhhh.just one more"
75 Goldwing
78 Goldwing
77 CB750a
77 CB550f
80 CB650c
05 Boule C50
John Schmidt
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by John Schmidt »

05c50 wrote:
John Schmidt wrote:Eric, I can watch the small drops squeezing out where the header flange bolts on.
Does your exhaust leak at the header gasket? I'm not sure why liquid (coolant) would leak and air (exhaust) wouldn't. Many times when a cylinder has coolant in it, the spark plug will look cleaner than the others. Just thinking out loud.

.........Paul
Re. the spark plug....that was my thinking also but they all look the same. It's running a bit rich but runs good. Since it's a bit hot up around the header I held a match with some needle nose then blew it out soon as it lit, letting the smoke tell me if there's any exhaust blowing out around the flange....nothing. I'm thinking about starting it again and let it run a bit longer, I'll do pretty much anything first before pulling the head. Not my idea of a fun day. Might try to take a couple pics today, see if I can get a couple closeups to show the source of the drips.
raiddrten
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by raiddrten »

ericheath wrote:Orings that seal the cross-tubes from the center of the engine to the elbows in the heads tend to leak easily. They are difficult to see as the source as the coolant follows the underside of the elbow and around the head via the protruding head gasket. Gravity takes it down under from there. Mine seal up with a little twist of the tube using a rag and vise grips.
Timely information for my bike that has been sitting for 20 years, now that the engine is out of the frame. I can't imagine that it is a difficult job to accomplish on the cross tubes, no?
John Schmidt
Silver Member
Silver Member

UPDATE: FOUND IT! Re: Well nuts, will it never end?

Post by John Schmidt »

Recall that I had a small leak at the temp sensor? Originally I didn't think it could possibly be the problem. Took some digging but turns out that was the source of what appeared to be a coolant leak in #2 and some in #4. With the bike on the sidestand, the slight drip at the temp sensor would run down under the t'stat housing and pool in the little valley by the top engine hanger on the left side...first pic.

It only took about a tablespoon of coolant to pool enough to overrun and flow down between the front of the head and the back of the timing belt housing.

Look closely and you can see the dried coolant tracks. At this point it would flow to the nearest low point which happened to be the #2 header flange and studs.

Thank goodness I don't have to pull the head. It did take some time for enough coolant to drip and create the problem, all the while I'm laying on my back on the garage floor with a flashlight. Had to run the bike for about 30 minutes(parked a box fan in front and it kept its cool) before it filled the area by the motor mount just enough to flow down to the header flange.
mopehead440
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by mopehead440 »

Glad you found it, John!!

Now, get yo hiney ready for Inzane!

It'll be here for ya' know it!
1975 GL1000 Red
1975 GL1000 Blue/Green
1976 GL1000 LTD
1976 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow
1997 Valkyrie Custom
1999 Valkyrie Interstate Trike
2001 Valkyrie IS
2012 GL1800
2014 Indian Vintage Chief
2015 Indian Scout
2016 Indian Jack Daniels Limited Springfield
John Schmidt
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by John Schmidt »

mopehead440 wrote:Glad you found it, John!!

Now, get yo hiney ready for Inzane!

It'll be here for ya' know it!
Hoping to make it this year, I'm already registered. I have to get a couple family members to come and stay with my wife while I'm gone, she's in hospice and can't be left alone. I definitely need a break, stay in touch and we can hook up there. I turn 80 in a month and told Willow my bucket list item is I want to ride....not trailer, the Valk to Roanoke. crossy.gif :crosso
mopehead440
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by mopehead440 »

We won't start till you get there! Pressures' on you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1975 GL1000 Red
1975 GL1000 Blue/Green
1976 GL1000 LTD
1997 Valkyrie Custom
2001 Valkyrie IS
2012 GL1800
2015 Indian Scout
mopehead440
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by mopehead440 »

One of my riding buddies is approaching 80 yo this year! He won oldest rider last year in Billings. Ya'll gonna have to fight over it this year!
1975 GL1000 Red
1975 GL1000 Blue/Green
1976 GL1000 LTD
1997 Valkyrie Custom
2001 Valkyrie IS
2012 GL1800
2015 Indian Scout
John Schmidt
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by John Schmidt »

mopehead440 wrote:One of my riding buddies is approaching 80 yo this year! He won oldest rider last year in Billings. Ya'll gonna have to fight over it this year!
My #80 is April 2nd., if you like....contact me direct at stuffy402@gmail.com
Toehead
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Toehead »

Congrats on the birthday and finding the leak!
2012 Golf TDI, fast and frugal oil burner
1980 CX500C, All around road warrior (Sold)
1975 TS125 (Sold), old smoker
1977 naked GL1000, Highway cruiser
'81 GL1100 14,000 (reconditioned and sold)
'81 GL1100 50,000 miles (under construction)
2X 1981 CM400 beginner bike (sold)
1980 CB750C (sold)
1994 Virago 750 (Wifey's bike)
'76 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow (Megasquirted efi build) http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=59774