Side Cover Tabs

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

bluec10
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Side Cover Tabs

Post by bluec10 »

Lost my left side cover last summer - of course its the hardest one to find. Really irritating because I had spent all kinds of time giving the bike a custom paint job that I was pleased with. Anyway, I found some good side covers on eBay and grabbed them. The one hitch was that the left one was missing one of the tabs that hooks over the bike’s frame. Any ideas about how to replace the tab? Materials? Glue?
1979 GL 1000 - It's not a mid-life crisis if you enjoy working on your bike as much as riding your bike.
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Re: Side Cover Tabs

Post by Rat »

Scroll down to the bottom of the page ...

Gord
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
tlbranth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tlbranth »

The cover is ABS plastic which is good. You can get some sheet ABS from Grainger or cut a piece from ABS sewer pipe. Fashion the tab with a file, knife or whatever you have and glue it to the cover with ABS glue. Then I'd reinforce it with a slurry of ABS shavings and ABS glue. The pipe and glue are available cheap from HD. You'll use it again so don't worry about over-buying.
The ABS glue is actually a solvent containing ABS. The fix is more or less a weld and is very strong.
Terry
Don't own a Vanagon
Don't work at Boeing
Life is good

1999 GL1500 SE
2002 Honda VT750 "ACE"
1975 GL1000
1970 CB750
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

I use aluminum angle. Cut and trim to fit then a bit of epoxy and a couple pop rivets put in from the top to back the glue up. The rivets heads are under the seat edge and unless you look for them are not noticeable
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
"Yea I do dance awkwardly, and I am having more fun than you" Taylor Swift
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1984 GL1200 Standard
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

I used aluminum channel from a piece of scrap with one side cut off to make it an angle for the Hunley. If I was to need another, I'd use wrecked Honda plastic (I now have a good supply from the local Honda service department) and ABS plumbing cement. Since ABS has been outlawed for plumbing here (no longer in stock at HD or Lowe's), I bought the cement from Amazon. Right now I'm using it to build the entire under-seat-cowl piece for a '79 CB750F. The cleaner solvent is still available at my local Ace. BTW, the cement is great for re-attaching the side cover pins that have broken off due to hardened grommets. If you need ABS to patch in areas, go to a service department and ask them to save you some. Spring is near, and the sport bikes will be shedding a lot of it!
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Replacement tabs are available on eBay. Cut them to length and either ABS glue or epoxy them in place. I repaired one on my CBX.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

This is what I did on Eccles: Attach a bolt to the hole where the pin normally goes (you'll have to figure out how - on Eccles I was able to use a piece of threaded rod right through the frame for both covers), then drill a hole in the cover where the pin was. Run a nut onto the bolt and adjust it until it touches the inside of the cover when it is in place on the bike and use a stainless acorn nut and a washer to hold the cover on. It doesn't look original but those covers do NOT come off without tools now.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
warhead_71
Silver Member
Silver Member
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index. ... _71?page=2

Post by warhead_71 »

As other have mentioned, you can "weld" ABS together using "ABS putty, glue, slurry, & juice"... which is all just varying viscosities of ABS shavings mixed with acetone.

Lego blocks are also made from ABS. You can cut the ends off a standard 1x4 or 1x6 lego block and remove the "pins" on the inside to make a sturdy ABS channel. The pieces that you remove can be ground up and added to acetone to make your "glue". Wash and rough up the contact surfaces with 60-grit first.

Dollartree has generic-brand building blocks... same material. A bag of mixed parts for $1. https://www.dollartree.com/make-it-bloc ... cks/269130

You can also get your 12-oz bottle of 100% acetone (fingernail polish remover) at Dollartree for $1. MEK works even better than acetone, but it way more toxic. Be safe.

I've made complete replacement sidecover "studs" by molding them from thick "ABS/acetone putty" then affixing them to the sidepanel with slurry/glue. When I make a stud, I create a flared base so there is more surface area fusing the panel to the stud. After it has cured you can clean up the shape with a Dremel and sanding drum if you need to.
( Other bikes: 76 CB200T | 68 CL350 | 69 CB350 | 76 CB360T | 78 CB400T | 81 CM400 | 79 CB750F | 81 CB650C | 73, 74, 76 CB750K | 83 V45 Magna | 84 V65 Magna )
'78 GL1000 :: EMGO Superbike handlebars, Corbin touring seat, National Cycle F-16 windscreen, EMGO "Roadhawk" wide-mouth 24" megaphones.