Question about Dynatech

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Re: Question about Dynatech

Post by Whiskerfish »

low-side wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:16 pm SNIP
the difficulty in finding quality replacement point sets has made EI more attractive to me.
Getting real difficult anymore.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
redglbx
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by redglbx »

The “set it and forget it” was the attraction for me ! When my 76 was new the points were constantly a source of work needing regular attention, I could never seem to get them setup as well as I felt they should be. The EI was just set it and forget it.

I will add that once I figured out that the timing marks on the flywheel were mismarked with the F2/t2 marks being 6deg retarded life got much easier. And setting the timing dynamically instead of statically also made a noticeable difference. It’s the only way I do timing anymore.
Red 1976 oe owner
1976 LTD restored
1980 CBX , in the que, to fix the ignorant heavy handed owner
1981 CBX
1977 CB750 K7
2014 FJR OE owner, sold
1980 GL1100
1984 GL1200 naked
1969 CL350, in the que
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

All I'll say is that if I had any idea when I got my first 'Wing that I would still have a bike with parts that came from it all these years later I would have bought a Dyna S in 1992 instead of waiting until 2012.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
tlbranth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tlbranth »

Just for grins and to totally swim against the current: When I first got my CB750 back in 1970, I noticed that while the points themselves got electrically pitted and needed smoothing fairly regularly, the rubbing block wore a bit initially but then became burnished and seemed to stop wearing. This only seemed the case for bakelite (I think) rubbing blocks. Not true for nylon or some other plastic. So I consider the mechanical part of the GL points to not be a problem. The electrical part is protected by a Hondaman box which keeps current small through the points and amplifies it to the coils. The points don't pit so my timing doesn't change. Should the box ever fail, and I don't believe one ever has, I can switch a couple of wires and be back to standard ignition. I have this setup on my CB and GL. Timing never changes and it's reliable. After-market electronics scare me. It craps out on the road and I'm done for. I can do simple diagnostic tests with points but not so with electronics. Whenever I see a posting for help with ignition, I dive in to help 'til I see it's Dynatek. Then I just mumble 'good luck matey'.
OK, I'm wearing my asbestos suit. Go for it.
Terry
Don't own a Vanagon
Don't work at Boeing
Life is good

1999 GL1500 SE
2002 Honda VT750 "ACE"
1975 GL1000
1970 CB750
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I don't recall ever seeing bakelite or nylon rubbing blocks. All the ones I remember were phenolic (think the brown stuff printed circuit boards used to be but made thicker and with layers of fabric inside). And that includes the old Honda ones I just looked at.

Many part on any bike, new or old, original or aftermarket can fail and leave you stranded. I can't say from experience that the Hondaman box falls into that category but based on my past experience I'm more concerned about a tire blowing than I am about the Dyna S failing. I have been stranded because of tires a few times over the years and either had to get someone to drive me to get a new tire* or have the bike hauled home but when a Dyna module failed I was able to drive the bike home on 2 cylinders
* And when that happens they never have the tire you want in stock (or at least not in the size you need) so you end up buying one that doesn't meet your needs just to get the bike moving again.
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
redglbx
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by redglbx »

Guy’s, I’m not familiar with the Hondaman box, must’ve missed that memo. Anyone have any details or maybe a photo ?

On roadside failures, like Bob, a rear tire on my 86Sei with a valve stem that failed on a Sunday a long way from home has been the only thing that has left me “stranded” so far. A flatbed ride to get me off the toll road to the closed tow truck company parking lot and a very good brother with a trailer making the many hours drive to come haul me home, followed by another failed replacement (rubber) valve stem weeks later (only steel stems anymore) .....

The good/bad thing that came out of that fiasco was that my wife insisted I buy a new bike (yes dear!) , more reliable with available parts, enter my 2014 FJR, great bike ! The bad thing was that I had to sell my beautiful 1986 Sei wing ! I really liked that bike !
Red 1976 oe owner
1976 LTD restored
1981 CBX
1977 CB750 K7
2014 FJR OE owner, sold
1980 GL1100
1984 GL1200 naked
1969 CL350, in the que
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

As I understand the Hondaman setup it reduces the voltage to the points to just a fraction of the original level then amplifies it back up after the points do the switching. So it dramatically reduces the wear of the electrical contact of the points. Once setup and worn in generally the only maintenance requirement is periodic lubrication where it rides on the cam lobe. I have heard some claims of 50,000 miles or more on a set of points.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
tlbranth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tlbranth »

Terry
Don't own a Vanagon
Don't work at Boeing
Life is good

1999 GL1500 SE
2002 Honda VT750 "ACE"
1975 GL1000
1970 CB750
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

BTW: Now that I think about it the only time I've been towed home was ignition related. I was on Eccles (CX650E based winter machine), which has the same TI system as GL1100s come with but it wouldn't have mattered which ignition system it had.
I was in a town about 30 Km from home in light drizzle when engine died and wouldn't re start. It started again after a while but a few blocks farther it happened again. It turned out that after I moved the fairing up & forward (part of the rad relocation project of 2012) when it rained water could run off the trailing edge of the fairing and onto the spark plug caps. And the boots on the left cap both leaked so the water shorted the spark pulses. Once I figured out what was happening I replaced the boots on both caps with ones from some old caps I had and it hasn't happened since.
redglbx
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by redglbx »

Thanks Terry, never seen that before ! I’ve led a sheltered life 😁
Red 1976 oe owner
1976 LTD restored
1981 CBX
1977 CB750 K7
2014 FJR OE owner, sold