Possible Clutch Slip ??

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

dontwantapickle
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Possible Clutch Slip ??

Post by dontwantapickle »

I guess that I should clean up what was posted to avoid any confusion further down the line.
The tool that kerryb made is not a clutch BASKET tool but a clutch CENTER tool.

The clutch BASKET is connected to the engine's crankshaft and will only spin when the engine turns.
The clutch CENTER is connected to the transmission layshaft and it will spin independent of the engine.

When disassembling a clutch with the engine still in the bike, the only thing required to keep the transmission
from turning is to put the bike in gear and stop the rear tire from spinning.
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Jeff+Bozeman/

Post by Fred Camper »

The crown tool is now sold on Amazon like most anything else. There is a link in shop talk.
Proud member of the NGW Cartel (Rochester MI)
1977 GL1000 BADDOG (April 2012 BOTM)
1976 LTD - '993 LTD...and so it begins'

You should remember that it's peace of mind you're after and not just fixing the machine. R.Pirsig
eletelan
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by eletelan »

Fred Camper - thank you I’ll try that if needed.
eletelan
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by eletelan »

DontWantAPickle. Thank you for the pictures, and your second explanation. That helps a lot. I’m attempting this with it still on the bike, so shouldn’t need to worry about rotation.
With you picture I see I could have made the tool, but I have one on the way from Goldwing Parts.

Being away from home, I’ll take care of this next week and report back.

Again 👍
eletelan
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by eletelan »

Clutch Slip UPDATE - DontWantAPickle. Thank you for the instructions. It was definitely the clutch plates.

I only had to take the back wheel off to get to all the bolts, followed the above instructions including from Randakk, except I found I had to fit them in one at a time, and everything worked out great.

Bike runs like never before 👍
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

You shouldn't need to remove the rear wheel (or anything else) to remove the clutch cover. I replaced the clutch in my '77's original motor with both wheels not only on the bike but on the ground (it had a sidecar). And when I replaced that engine with a '79 a couple of years later and the test ride revealed that its clutch was no good I put the newer plates from the ''77 engine into the '79, again with both wheels on the ground.

If the engine is in the frame you don't need to hold the clutch as long as you put the transmission in 5th and the rear wheel is on the ground (if you are nervous about that have a helper press the rear brake pedal too).
unless the cable is just no good at all and not letting it engage
When the cable wears it gets longer so it would be more likely to not be able to disengage the clutch.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
kerryb
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by kerryb »

Fred Camper wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:49 pm One of those rubber band oil filter wrench can wrap around the basket. But I never needed a basket holder during my clutch and basket replacement. Easy enough without one if you have a helper hold the wrench on the front of the crank.
That's very interesting, thank you.
intrigued by the wail...seduced by the scream.
'78 cb750K, '83 GL1100s,I,&A,'08FXSTC, '79 WilMac trike