Gl1100 hoses

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Jme
Tin Member
Tin Member

Gl1100 hoses

Post by Jme »

Well, there was some drips under the big black bike the other day. I think the lower hose is leaking. A little research shows a NAPA # 7733 hose will work for both top and bottom. Is this right?

Is there a better type radiator clamp to use than stock? Or should I use a good grade of screw clamp? Suggestions welcomed. While I'm in there I guess I'll take a look at the belts and get those covers all shiny too.

Oh yeah. There was a couple of milky looking drops out the pump weep hole too.

Its 12 degrees out today, I think I have time to get this all done up right :)

Jme
KLACKO
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by KLACKO »

Make sure the anti-freeze you fill the system back up with is silica free. Using regular coolant that has silicates WILL ruin your water pump.
I don't think upgrading your clamps will have any bad effects, they sure look better.
...Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba....
-H.S. Thompson
1978 GL1000
1993 BMW K75
1981 KZ440 LTD
2001 Suzuki DR650SE
Dougal
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Dougal »

The drips out of teh water pump tell tale could be bad news and should be looked at further. If this fluid is comming out of the tell tale hole and it is milky this indicates water and oil mixing.
If this is happening then water could be getting into your oil, with the consquence of a worn engine.

Dougal
They say WHY?, I say why not.
If God had intended motor cycles to be standard, he would'nt have given us the hacksaw.
Jme
Tin Member
Tin Member

milky

Post by Jme »

thats what I was afraid of, Dougal.
When I had a 1000, I put in some nice fresh Prestone. 200 miles later, the pump was leaking.

What type works best besides the Honda stuff?

I had the dealer change the pump last time, but I think I might give it a try myself to save a few bucks.
Dougal
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Dougal »

Changing the pump is no problem, I think that somewhere there is a thread describing how to do. I would still follow a workshop manual though. As for coolant, some car coolants have silicate in them, this destroys the mechanical seal in the pump (this applies to all Honda modles). I use Silkolene Pro cool and it seems OK. Ask at your local dealer for a silicate free coolant mix.

Dougal
They say WHY?, I say why not.
If God had intended motor cycles to be standard, he would'nt have given us the hacksaw.
Try
NGW Founder
NGW Founder
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... wing-album

Post by Try »

Dougal wrote:Changing the pump is no problem, I think that somewhere there is a thread describing how to do.
Yes, you can find the topic here
Dougal wrote: I would still follow a workshop manual though..
Agree.

Note: Apply a coat of grease to the O-rings before installation.
--
Try
"84 - GL1200 Standard

anim-cheers1

-