TRANSVERSE MOUNTED GL1000 FOR BONNEVILLE SLAT FLATS "20

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

WINGMANDWN
Silver Member
Silver Member

TRANSVERSE MOUNTED GL1000 FOR BONNEVILLE SLAT FLATS "20

Post by WINGMANDWN »

AS some of you may or maynot know a concept contest regarding a transverse mounted GL1000 was started by Winston and won last month by Todd Starks. The winning prize was a custom made buckle by Winston now shown on home page.
OK, here's where the concept bike stands! We have a team started of four guys so far, myself only a member of the Naked Wing Club. The project is for now called "TEAM WINSTON-DAYTONA BEACH". HERE is what we have found so far: We have pulled an intire block down inch by inch over a three week period of time to discuss mostly possibilites. We "THINK" we have found a way to make a Gl1000 run at 12,200 RPMS by doing the following. No tranny gears, no oil pump, no water pump, two weighed drive gears on the end of the crank will be pulled. No more out drive gear for a drive shaft (needless to say). No starter, no heavy clutch or stater assembly as well. HERE'S what you do have: A two stage dry sump pump off a sprint car with a custom motorcycle drag small catch tank for oil. It's driven by a belt pully welded to a shaft with a sproket dead center off the back of the crank where the kick starter use to be. This welded shaft incorporates two (2) of the teeth gears already mounted on the shaft , one set of gears is reversed into the other so teeth hook up at forward drive motion and they are welded to a custom over lay hollow (pipe type) shaft with a chain sproket on the end to drive an external lightweight drag bike clutch/transmission.
ARE YOU STILL WITH ME HERE!??! What you end up with is a flat billet plated back for a motor with only a pully and sproket sticking out at the rear crank. The oil dry sump will be hooked to that side of engine along with an (electric) billet water pump pushing up to 23GPM if needed.
MUCH MORE TO COME!!!!! WISH US LUCK! PLEASE JOIN IN THE FORUM AS YOU ALL HAVE WAY MORE EXPERIENCE THAN WE DO ON THIS MOTOR! We are looking for wiseco pistons @ 72mm with 17mm wrist pins that we can pick up compression to as much as 12 to 1. We are going to turn the crank and lighten the fly wheel if all goes as planned. We need the piston problem solved first to balance the crank and rods and pistons. THANKS FOR ANY ADVICE........................TEAM WINSTON
IT'S VITAL TO FLY WITH A FELLOW WING MAN......
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Good Luck ... sounds awesome.

Gord :shock:
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
Cookie
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
RIP: 1950-2011

Post by Cookie »

Good luck, good lord.
Enjoy life,
Cookie

A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad.
Owner of 4.4 76s and one lone 75 Wings (does a spare engine make .2?)
stuka151
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: TRANSVERSE MOUNTED GL1000 FOR BONNEVILLE SLAT FLATS &quo

Post by stuka151 »

WINGMANDWN wrote:We are looking for wiseco pistons @ 72mm with 17mm wrist pins that we can pick up compression to as much as 12 to 1. We are going to turn the crank and lighten the fly wheel if all goes as planned. We need the piston problem solved first to balance the crank and rods and pistons.
Failing that could you take molds of the combustion chambers and have pistons made?
ImageImageImage
'81 GL1100
'78 GL1000
'76 GL1000
Stuka's Gallery

Blow your mind, smoke gunpowder
Brant
Board of Directors
Board of Directors
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/brant/

Post by Brant »

This is gonna be interesting. Good Luck.
83 GL 1100 bagger Ugly Betty
ALL WE WANT TO DO IS DRINK OUR ESPRESSO, RIDE OUR MACHINES, AND NOT BE HASSLED BY THE MAN
Owning a motorcycle is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that.
"Don't sweat the little things, guys, take care and appreciate all that you have around you!" - Fewman
NGWclub on Facebook
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

What are you going to do with the heads? I do not know the profile of the pistons you are talking about but anything with a increase over the stock dome is going to have clearance issues with the valves. You might plan on doing a clearance check with some clay or something.

That kind of rpm I think you may run into issues with valve floating if the springs are not beefed up. I presume you are looking at this engine as a short life prospect but if you have piston to valve contact odds are very good you could damage the block beyond recovery, and it sounds like you are going to be putting a lot of machine work into this. So I would invest some time into exploring options about stronger springs and possibly even a roller option for your rockers. Someone posted something about that here a while back, might have been Moosehead or El Piloto??

The Crank and Mains are certainly capable of this so long as what you hang off the end does not place an unsupported lateral load on anything. Depending on the length of your output shaft (or whatever you are going to call it) you may want to think about an additional bearing system to reduce loading on the existing mains. And obviously whatever you attach back there will need to be spun on a lathe and balanced for those kind of rpms.

Sounds like a project with a lot of challenges :lol: :lol:
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
hmratbam
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by hmratbam »

Computer glitch,double post
Last edited by hmratbam on Sat May 23, 2009 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud member of the NGW Cartel
My Album
Jesus is Lord ! Hope is not a plan
83 Ascempade has become a trike with 1200 fork tubes and Maxda Miata rear suspension.
84 Standard ongoing project
82 Interstate 35k reincarnated as a "Street Tracker"
hmratbam
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by hmratbam »

If they're not already you'll want to install studs in the block to hold the heads on,they're a minor challenge at stock compression,12 to 1 is going to be interesting. Mavbe some solid copper head gaskets? You should be able to find some titanium valves that can be machined to work in the heads,also put the spring retainers on a diet. While we're at it we need to lighten the rockers too! If you do enough here,you should be able to keep the springs within reason. I would think rollerizing the rockers would add weight,maybe not necessary here if we can keep the spring rates down?
When you get to the final drive,you might look into cogged belts? I think I heard somewhere they don't eat as much HP as chain. If chain was better wouldn't the Top Fuelers run their blowers that way?
Proud member of the NGW Cartel
My Album
Jesus is Lord ! Hope is not a plan
83 Ascempade has become a trike with 1200 fork tubes and Maxda Miata rear suspension.
84 Standard ongoing project
82 Interstate 35k reincarnated as a "Street Tracker"
stuka151
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by stuka151 »

Whiskerfish wrote: Sounds like a project with a lot of challenges :lol: :lol:
That's what makes it fun though right. I think it's a lot more fun building a hopped up nailhead or a big block Caddy vs. a 350 Chev. Same thing goes here. The valve clearance it the reason I think you ought to take molds of the combustion chambers and have pistons made with valve reliefs. I read a buildup of a 500 Caddy a few years back...they used forged bb chev rods which have smaller journals than a Cad so they then offset ground the rod journals to stroke it, took molds of the heads and had pistons made to fit the chev rods...sweet.
ImageImageImage
'81 GL1100
'78 GL1000
'76 GL1000
Stuka's Gallery

sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

Cams. The cams are so conservative, I can hardly believe the bike runs...
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
stuka151
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by stuka151 »

sunnbobb wrote:Cams. The cams are so conservative, I can hardly believe the bike runs...
No kidding. Mild hardly describes it. Sooooo much potential. Even the difference between early and late cams... with a bit of head work I betcha could really get these things to flow nice!

What are you looking at for fuel setup? If'n you like the old school some Hilborn mechanicals would be pretty bad. You know in '48 Stuart Hilborn's car was the first to do 150 at El Mirage. I'm sorry I'm getting all excited... Simple setup though, mechanical constant flow, plus I think they have a setup for a type 1 vw that would be good to design around and from what I hear they have a great tech staff.
ImageImageImage
'81 GL1100
'78 GL1000
'76 GL1000
Stuka's Gallery

starket

Post by starket »

How about using dual valve springs to keep from floating a valve. Dual valve springs are commonly used on high compression/high RPM Porsche racing engines.

JE pistons makes custom pistons. Go here and they have the forms for you to detail what you want.
http://www.jepistons.com/dept/tech/scp_drawings.shtml You could have them cut some relief for the valves but it might compromise the compression you want.
Steve Tarket
1975 GL1000 Restoration
1976 GL1000 LTD
1976 GL1000 - Jigsaw +
Proud Member of the NGW Cartel
ElPiloto
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by ElPiloto »

I think the cams are the limiting factor to go to 12,000+ RPM. If you could find blanks, any cam grinder could put a good profile on the lobes for you. The cams are cast iron, so casting them yourself would be difficult. The main reason roller cam followers would be nice is that you could make cam blanks from mild steel using a common lathe. Also, you could run high valve spring pressures to avoid valve float.

With good cams, you could make great horsepower at higher RPMs.

Don't be discouraged, Burt Munro designed and built all the components to convert his flathead V-twin to over head valves. Including the cams. He also made his own cylinders and pistons. As we all know, he went very fast.
"Some Cats Got it, Some Cats Ain't"
octane
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: TRANSVERSE MOUNTED GL1000 FOR BONNEVILLE SLAT FLATS &

Post by octane »

F A N T A S T I C project.
I wish you all the luck in the world !
WINGMANDWN wrote:... we have found a way to make a Gl1000 run at 12,200 RPMS ....
I do believe that even the standard crank/etc. set-up
can take quite some beating:
(Please disregard the clonking clutch...it was going south, fastlike)

...my supercharged GL1000: CLICK the image (..and turn UP sound)

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i184.photobucket.com/player.swf? ... ooooom.flv">
Da' Supercharged Bulldog

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection
not when there is nothing left to add
but when there is nothing left to take away"

Antoine de Saint-Exupery
alwing17
Exceptional Member
Exceptional Member

Post by alwing17 »

Rocker arms are a weak spot over 9000 RPM's...Hit a shift on a stock '75 @9000 RPM's and broke one in 3 pieces! But it got me home,and after installing a used one,I know know to shift @8500!!! <grin>
1975 GL 1000 "Street Fighter"
1976 GL 1000 "Screaming Yellow Zonker"
1976 GL 1000 Sulfur Yellow x2
1981 GL 1100 "Crown Royal"
1997 GL 1500 Pearl Sapphire Black
1977 GL1000 Cirrius Blue
1977 GL 1000 Skidmark build
1976 GL 1000 Limited
2003 ST 1300 Silver Streak
(And those are just the Gold Wings! With an exception..)
Team 898...25%er...*Beverages Consumed
Team LTD...1/6th'er...* Even more beverages consumed