SW Mark III air shocks for the rear.

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Dave_J
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

SW Mark III air shocks for the rear.

Post by Dave_J »

Bought a set from a member but I let them lay over and the oil ran out. Air hoses were disconneted. :oops: Anyone know how much oil and what weight?.

Were these good shocks when new? DaveJ
Retired US ARMY Signal
Old Mopars TT 65 B-Cuda in the works, 78 Dodge LRT with 425 HP 360
80 GL-1100 Faux Interstate
03 Suzuki Burgman 650 Supersized Scooter - Darksided Potenza Car Tire on the rear
TomE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/TomE/

Post by TomE »

If the oil ran out when you laid them over, I would think that they would leak on the bike when in use?
TomE
Big Red, a '75 Wing
Black Beauty, a '99 Valkyrie
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

I think he meant it ran out the disconncted top fitting. I have no clue how much were in them
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Dave_J
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Dave_J »

My son doesent think there should be any oil in the "AIR" part of these. Makes some sense, in all of the 70's and 80's car AIR shocks, the oil was seprate from the air chambers. He thinks that the oil seals have failed. I don't know. Good thing I dident pay too much for them. :-D DaveJ
Retired US ARMY Signal
03 Suzuki Burgman 650 Supersized Scooter - Darksided Potenza Car Tire on the rear
KYpondman
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by KYpondman »

On 82 stock air shocks the oil will run out where the air tubes attach.
They apparently share a common space. If all else fails you could try same amount of oil as stock GL1100 shocks.
Just an idea.
Claude
In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is Weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

RETIRED and LOVING It!!! anim-cheers1
82 GL1100 Standard (gone to Gson in Oregon) action1
84 GL1200 standard with Hondaline bags.
84 GL1200 dressed naked with everything to return to naked.(gone to Gson in Oregon) action1
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

so a real quandry here..... was the oil in the s$w's seperate from the air or not..... well, I am not turning mine upside down to find out
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
WShie
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by WShie »

No, the oil is supposed to be there. Since oil is not compressable the oil was used to change the damping curve of the shocks. More oil I believe was added to cause the shocks to firm up faster when being compressed under a heavy load. There was a "special" S+W oil that was used and was only to be added in very small amounts (5cc) at a time until you had the curve adjusted to your liking. I don't know how much oil is supposed to be in there, but if you were to drain them completely and then add a small amount of oil initially (maybe 25ccs or so) and see what your damping curve is like you could go from there. I would think you could use a light oil like ATF IMHO, but there may be a source for the S+W oil out there someplace.
Bill
1979 GL1000- On the road again after 19 years
1980 GS1000G Current Moneypit.. er project
1976 KZ400- Winter Project
Gone but not forgotten:
1941 Matchless 350
1956 BSA Golden Flash
1956 Triumph 650
1977 Moto Guzzi 850T
1979 Yamaha XS1100
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

s$w hasn't been made in years, so I would suggest ATF, it is what almost all shocks use
-Rodger-
Dave_J
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Oil in SW shocks

Post by Dave_J »

I have looked at both shocks and there looks like there never has been oil in the AIR chamber. The oil on the floor and in the wifes Buicks trunk may be from my front shock tubes that were also laying down flat, also with the air hoses off. I did inflate the rears to about 50 PSI and the left one does not extend as far as the right side one. DaveJ
Retired US ARMY Signal