questions about OIL (or tires)

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

questions about OIL (or tires)

Post by rcmatt007 »

********WARNING************

PLEASE be aware of the following if you ask a question about OIL or TIRES

1. Oil questions come up at least once a month (sometimes weekly), and as a result, there is a lot of kidding and joking that goes on. SO, if you ask a question, PLEASE have a sense of humour. The joke is not about you (unless you choose it to be).

2. Questions about oil or tires will ellicit opinions. AND, as we all know, opinions are like rectums, everyone has one. Strangely, some people have more than one.

3. Topics that have been discussed mulitple times include which brand is best, dino vs synthetic, older formualtions vs newer, motorcycle formulations vs auto, slippery clutch plates or not, and even dumping the used oil from a car into your bike.

SO..... don't be timid, go ahead and ask away
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
STREETWING78
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: questions about OIL (or tires)

Post by STREETWING78 »

I'm sorry for the cat coment !!!
Tom
1976 LTD #276
1976 BLACK VETTER (soon to be naked)
1978 Naked(soon to be dressed)
1983 750 sabre(1476 miles) next project
1989 1500
1998 cr250
1974 bultaco 250
1973 suzuki tm125
rogue1000
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by rogue1000 »

I'm guessing that this is a sensitive subject with you, Rodger... ;)
Brian Crow
1977 gl1000, with California sidecar
"KBO"!! Keep bungling on! Winston Churchill
"Bound is boatless man"
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

You're just kitten, aren't you? Actually I haven't gone back enough to figure where the cat humor came in. This is still the best site around even with a few stolen threads. I appreciate everyone's contributions here.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

rogue1000 wrote:I'm guessing that this is a sensitive subject with you, Rodger... ;)
not for me.... I know that blue synthetic tires are the best!
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Hal
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Hal »

Royal Purple....if it was good enough for the Romans, etc etc etc.... :mrgreen:
"The Moving Finger writes, and having writ, moves on,
nor all your Piety nor Wit
can lure it back to cancel half a line...

so....probably best use Tipp-Ex in future?"

1977 GL1000 in bits
1978 SR 500 Yam
1995 Harley Sportster/Buell street-tracker
1992 Grinnall Scorpion SC3 prototype
2002 Caterham SV 220 Evo (4 wheeled motorcycle) :mrgreen:

Hal's Nalbum
1CrazyMoFo
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 1CrazyMoFo »

I got one!!!!!!
Wannnnnna seeee it????
The truth about Ape Hangers, yes they are very slimming.
RB
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by RB »

How about someone putting together a "How to" on oil and tires..with a compilation of parts of the threads..on those two topics..and just send the NEW??? kids to the how to..for a run down. Not a pro or con just a summary of all the opinions/info.
98 1500 SE..
99 1500 SE SOLD
97 SE 1500 SOLD
83 SOLD
82 REBUILT sold!!!
81 DAILY RIDER sold her :(((!
81 REBUILT SOLD!!!
81 REBUILT SOLD!!
80 REBUILT SOLD
79 IN BASKET PARTS FOR SALE
79 CLEANED UP AND SOLD
78 REBUILT SOLD
77 REBUILT SOLD
76 SOLD/PARTIAL REBUILD
76 REBUILT AND SOLD
75 REBUILT SOLD
75 REBUILT SOLD
75 REBUILD SOLD

FAIR WINDS,
RB
njxrayman
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by njxrayman »

Just put a new rear dunlop 404 and did new bearings. my 81 gl1100 has 42k and the bearings seemed ok but put in new double seals just to be safe. The old ones were ok but had dry looking grease. Thank all you guys for the tricks on bearing removal. Did the one using a rod with a split in the end. I think that trick was Rodgers, worked great. Have to find the time to do the front tire now and bearings there too. Anybody know if the front axle diameter is the same as the back, or do I have to make another rod for that bearing?
'81 GL1100 Interstate-full dresser
'83 Suzuki GR650 Tempter
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

njxrayman wrote:Just put a new rear dunlop 404 and did new bearings. my 81 gl1100 has 42k and the bearings seemed ok but put in new double seals just to be safe. The old ones were ok but had dry looking grease. Thank all you guys for the tricks on bearing removal. Did the one using a rod with a split in the end. I think that trick was Rodgers, worked great. Have to find the time to do the front tire now and bearings there too. Anybody know if the front axle diameter is the same as the back, or do I have to make another rod for that bearing?
No, you'll need a 1/2 inch rod for the front rather than 3/4 inch. Questions such as this really will get more responses if you post a separate thread in the TECH forum. Good luck!

Enjoy the ride,
Todd
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
njxrayman
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by njxrayman »

Thanks. Tech question just kinda popped into my head while I just wanted to send a thanks for another good tip.
'81 GL1100 Interstate-full dresser
'83 Suzuki GR650 Tempter
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

I am locking this thread..... this was meant as info about ASKING the questions.....
-Rodger-