1975 GL1000 starter/oil problems

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

johnwgoes
Rusty Probie
Rusty Probie

1975 GL1000 starter/oil problems

Post by johnwgoes »

A day ago my bike mysteriously refused to start. After isolating the problem with the starter (the obvious was checked, battery was fully charged, wires seemed ok), I decided to remove the starter to have it tested. As I tried to remove the starter, lots of oil, perhaps all the oil in the bike, gushed out of the bike. After cleaning it up and calling a shop that has seen GLs before, I was told that the engine was probably "overflowed" and that if I put the starter back in and put new oil in, the bike should be fine. I did this about an hour ago, and the bike did start, but after riding around a bit and starting it a few more times, I began to notice the starter hesitating a bit, (it backfired once), and on the sixth time the starter was smoking a little, obviously oil was burning. I plan on draining the oil and trying to take out the starter tomorrow, but I don't really know what I'll do beyond that. Does anyone know what could be wrong?
Bandanna
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Bandanna »

WELCOME JOHNWGOES TO NGW...........

SORRY TO HEAR YOUR PROBLEM...

MANY IDEAS WILL COME MY FRIEND.

POSSIBLE OIL SEAL PERHAPS????

OVERTIGHTENED NUT,CAUSING A FRACTURE IN CASING MATERIALS???

DO NOT DESPAIR,WE ALL HELP WHERE WE CAN...........
YOU ARE WHAT YOU RIDE......THAT MAKES ME AN ANGEL????
Dougal
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Dougal »

John

It seems that your clutch scvange oil pump is not working. This pump controls the oil level in the rear casing. To much oil and the starter clutch may no engage. Also there will be additional drag on the clutch and the clutch may slip.
Part number is 15220-371-000.

It may be that the drive for this may have come adrift, but I doubt it as you would loose the main oil pump and water pump as well.

Keith
They say WHY?, I say why not.
If God had intended motor cycles to be standard, he would'nt have given us the hacksaw.
Try
NGW Founder
NGW Founder
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... wing-album

Post by Try »

Dougal wrote: It seems that your clutch scvange oil pump is not working.
A nice one Dougal. tumb2
--
Try
"84 - GL1200 Standard

anim-cheers1

-