Plastic carb idle screw tops

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Honda_Recycle
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Plastic carb idle screw tops

Post by Honda_Recycle »

I have a couple sets of 771A 79 GL1000 carbs. One set has what I believe are plastic caps that just turn for as long as you want to turn them without changing anything. I am assuming these are caps to prevent end user adjustments (maybe some Cal. idea perhaps). Has anyone run into this before. I assume if I pry them off all will be fine but hate to take a chance of hurting anything on otherwise rebuildable carbs and would not wnat to rebuild unless I can clean and confirm settings on the idle screws anyway. Any advise apreciated.

:crosso
Rob T
If the wife knew how many bikes I actually have I would be living alone...here are the ones she knows about.
73 Suzuki T500
73 Honda CB750K
76 Honda CB750F
73 Honda CB350F
Current Project
79 GL1000 New To Me Stock W/Vetter V & 3 bags
And now a 78 GL that may become naked
05c50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Plastic carb idle screw tops

Post by 05c50 »

You guessed right. The caps are idle mixture limit caps to prevent the idle mixture being adjusted past the factory setting. They were part of the newly added emission control starting on late model 78 wings. You can easily remove them and set the mixture. The shop manual gives a good description of the procedure using the idle drop method.

.............Paul
I prefer to ride my wing naked,thank you
My wife asked me "How many bikes does one man need?" My answer "Uhhh.just one more"
75 Goldwing
78 Goldwing
77 CB750a
77 CB550f
80 CB650c
05 Boule C50
Honda_Recycle
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Re: Plastic carb idle screw tops

Post by Honda_Recycle »

05c50 wrote:You guessed right. The caps are idle mixture limit caps to prevent the idle mixture being adjusted past the factory setting. They were part of the newly added emission control starting on late model 78 wings. You can easily remove them and set the mixture. The shop manual gives a good description of the procedure using the idle drop method.

.............Paul
Thanks
Rob T
If the wife knew how many bikes I actually have I would be living alone...here are the ones she knows about.
73 Suzuki T500
73 Honda CB750K
76 Honda CB750F
73 Honda CB350F
Current Project
79 GL1000 New To Me Stock W/Vetter V & 3 bags
And now a 78 GL that may become naked