Electronic ignition on teh

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Electronic ignition on teh

Post by SnoBrdr »

bongodude wrote:Never fear the truth. I destroyed the inlet valves trying to remove them. So I need to see if they are still available. I mean the brass fitting under the float inlet. Already pinged my local Honda dealer with the parts numbers from randakks site. So far found both main jets plugged on the first carb. Prolly that would be the cause of the fuel starvation. I checked the fuel tank first thing and luckily it is rust free. Ty
A 77 in North Dakota that has a rust free tank?

You did use a light to look inside ?

I say that cause my 78 which has always been garaged, kept as full as possible when ever possible, had rust in it.
78 GL1000 Original Owner 131k
bongodude
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by bongodude »

I did use a light. The reputation for rust up north is from the salt on the roads. If you don't move a vehicle in and out of a heated building there shouldn't be any moisture problems. I think I got lucky with this bike it is in very good shape. Tank is slightly tinged red but the screen is clear and the fuel filter is clear. I will refresh the filter though. What about those float valve seats? Can a guy still get 'em?
1977 GL 1000 with hack
2011 HD Road Glide Ultra
1999 Suzuki GZ 250
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

bongodude wrote:snip.......... What about those float valve seats? Can a guy still get 'em?
Yes they are. But your best bet is to use OEM seats and valves. Pricey, but the failure rate is much lower than aftermarket.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Tbell
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tbell »

Placerville wrote:
Sagebrush wrote:Before you put your rebuilt carbs back on the bike remove the gas tank sensor under the seat and peer in the tank with a flashlight. If the tank isn't clean and rust free you'll be pulling those carbs again in no time to clean them.
Poor guy...., I think we're going to scare him away ;) :lol: ;)
Scaring him? If this is a new to him bike, wait until he hears about the timing belts.
Tom
Connoisseur of fine wings
76 Yellow gl1000 Total rebuild
93 Black gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Black Cherry Rune
Having enemies is not necessarily a bad thing! It means that at some point in your life you have stood up for something.
bongodude
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by bongodude »

Thanks for the updates you guys. Since I destroyed the inlet valve seats, I will need to bite bullet and get OEMs. I guess the reason I started this thread is because this 'new to me' bike wasn't running when I got it. So, after reading Randakk's tech tips from cover to cover, I was wondering about ignition, mostly because he recommends testing compression, setting the valves and perfect timing BEFORE doing any carb work. I didn't have that option 'cause the dang thing ain't runnin'. I was wondering if the timing might be an issue with the after market Dyna lll that is installed. Compression is good. Paperwork that came with the bike indicates the timing belts were done at 50,000 miles (67,000 on 'er now). Paper work indicates the carbs were cleaned once too. Some of the o rings were replaced and some were not. The ones under the main jets crumbled into dust and that seems to have gotten into the jets as 4 out of 8 of the main jets were plugged completely. Even 100 lbs of compressed air wouldn't dislodge it at first. Those inlet valve seats were stuck so hard, I used a long sheet rock screw (aka ez out), screwed it partway into the fitting and I still had to use some leverage to yank it out. Notably, these were one of the only 0 rings that were intact, so likely were installed in the last cleaning. The carb bowls have a nice green moss inside that is very hard to get out. So far, only a small screwdriver can scrape it off. No liquid cleaner can touch it! :-) Gotta love that ethanol. So there you have it. Thanks for all the responses.

Right now I have no skin left on my finders, clean carbs and a smile on my face.
1977 GL 1000 with hack
2011 HD Road Glide Ultra
1999 Suzuki GZ 250
avg_joe
Titanium Member
Titanium Member
My Album: http://s959.photobucket.com/albums/ae79 ... torcycles/

Post by avg_joe »

I had a difficult time getting my inlet valve seats out. I used a drill bit slightly larger than the bore, and spun them until the heat softened the o-ring enough to let go. It ruined the seats, same as your method. But I was able to get them out without prying on stuff. Once the drill bit was engaged in the seat, I could pull straight out while spinning it.

avg_joe
In the garage:
1977 GL1000
1982 GL1100 with California Side Car hack
1982 FT500 Ascot(Wife's bike)
1983 FT500 Ascot
1983 XL600R(with some 85 parts)