white smoke

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

draco_elcasa
Lead Member
Lead Member

white smoke

Post by draco_elcasa »

My 87 1200 goldwing interstate is blowing oil and white smoke after being stored all winter. it stops after its warmed up and i remember this happening to a much lesser extent last summer after sitting for more then a week which really only happened twice. also it has no center stand to accept harley pipes and I'd heard that leaving these bikes on the kick stand could cause oil leakage into the piston.

thoughts??
Ezrider
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Re: white smoke

Post by Ezrider »

mine does that ever spring, been doing it for the 7+ years iv owned it, i think its just oil leaking past the rings on the side stand for a extended period of time. your nose should be able to tell the difference between oil smoke and coolant, as well as oil will have a slight blueish tint. coolant will be pure white.
GL1100 Chop
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

the answer is yes. when left on the side stand for long periods of time, if the valve guides are worn a little , and a valve is open, oil will migrate into the cyl. and at start up it will smoke til it burns off. i would also be sure your fuel valve is in the off position. not an uncommon problem. not to worry
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

at the vatican.... white smoke means a new pope
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
OO7EDDY
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by OO7EDDY »

LOL^^^
1977 GL1000
1978 GL1000
1979 GL1000
draco_elcasa
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by draco_elcasa »

Thanks to all. was just about having a stroke there for a little while. nice to know its just a quirk and not an engine rebuild
1987 GL1200
evilratwing
Silver Member
Silver Member
My Album: http://www.photobucket.com/evil03ratwing

Post by evilratwing »

Well if you come to a stop sign and you find yourself enveloped in a thick blanket of maple syrup smoke, then you may want to consider replacing a head gasket. This would be me last fall. :-p
The bike is essentially just another bike... The pilot is CRAZY.

http://www.photobucket.com/evil03ratwing
Whargoul - Murdered out 1978 GL1000 - Engine KaBOOM.
Cherry Cough Syrup - 2009 Suzuki M90 - 3,300 miles.
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

evilratwing wrote:Well if you come to a stop sign and you find yourself enveloped in a thick blanket of maple syrup smoke, then you may want to consider replacing a head gasket. This would be me last fall. :-p
or our 1200 coming home from the east run in 2011
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS