Power loss

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

drum4fun76
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Power loss

Post by drum4fun76 »

Hey guys,
I haven't been an "active" member for awhile (I'll blame the kids), but I know that this is the best GL knowledge forum and I've been having my share of problems with my '78.
Last summer I noticed coolant was getting in the heads. Didn't touch it 'till spring when a friend and I replaced the head gaskets with thinking the others (aftermarket) were defective. Got her started up again after that but she wasn't the same. Tonight I took her for a proper drive and here's what happened:
Had no power on take off. Had to basically hold full throttle just to get her moving.
Then when I got to third gear, she kicked in (actually jerked me).
Then holding constant throttle, bogged again, then kicked in... And so forth.
When I finally got home, I let her idle a bit and then gave her gas to see if she would kick in again. As I had her in the high rpms, she died on me. :(
Now she won't start (doesn't even turn).
Is she full of coolant?
Could it be bad gas or tank residue?
Clogged carb passages?
I haven't touched anything yet.
I'm not a mechanic and need help. I'm at the point where I'm thinking of selling her for parts. I invested so much time and money on this bike, it would be a shame.
"...the first thing that you want will be the last thing you'll ever need..." - Jeff Tweedy
RB
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Power loss

Post by RB »

Hydro lock 1st thing to check pull the plugs and see if she'll turn over..gas off..and plugs not attached to avoid an explore if gas shoots out of a cylinder or two..if it does hydro lock probable..gas leaking from carbs into cylinder(s).

Not turning over nothing to do with carbs unless above is true..but bad solenoid do you here a click by the battery back end??? If you short across the two big posts with the key on, does it turn over?? =bad solenoid most likely.

Check oil for gas and/or water..milky and tan/white you have water issues if just thin and smells of gas..gas issues.

Check that stuff and respond with results.
98 1500 SE..
99 1500 SE SOLD
97 SE 1500 SOLD
83 SOLD
82 REBUILT sold!!!
81 DAILY RIDER sold her :(((!
81 REBUILT SOLD!!!
81 REBUILT SOLD!!
80 REBUILT SOLD
79 IN BASKET PARTS FOR SALE
79 CLEANED UP AND SOLD
78 REBUILT SOLD
77 REBUILT SOLD
76 SOLD/PARTIAL REBUILD
76 REBUILT AND SOLD
75 REBUILT SOLD
75 REBUILT SOLD
75 REBUILD SOLD

FAIR WINDS,
RB
drum4fun76
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by drum4fun76 »

Thanks RB.
I'll get on that tomorrow and post my findings.
"...the first thing that you want will be the last thing you'll ever need..." - Jeff Tweedy
gregforesi
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Greg+Foresi/

Post by gregforesi »

From the electrical side it sounds like a coil might be dropping out.
Does the bike have a dyna ignition?
2006 GL1800 (Brutus Maximus)
1978 GL1000 (White Trash - 2012 BOTY
(If you want to discuss the Trashmobile, Webers, Rearsets, Clubmans, or other stuff then send me a PM.)
"Getting old ain't for sissies" - Phyllis Diller
"So how much you gonna spend to win that $5 trophy?" - Cyborg
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Don't use the starter. Turn the engine over by hand. With the plugs out. You may have gotten the timing belts on wrong. And bent some valves.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
drum4fun76
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by drum4fun76 »

Hey guys,
To answer greforesi, I do have a dyna ignition installed.
I didn't have time to check the bike today.
Before I went for my drive (first of the season), I had changed the plugs, the fuel filter, oil and filter and coolant was stable. I'm thinking bad coil... It did hear a sort of weird ticking sound come from the battery side come to think of it. Could also be valves ( wich I didn't adjust after putting heads back on). I can tell you that the belts were installed by a licenced mechanic, but not a GL expert. I had never seen her behave like that before: hard to hold idle and random rpm bursts when throttle was wide open...
I'll post as soon as this developpes and I thank everyone who shared their knowledge with me. anim-cheers1
I hope I can save the ol gale because the wife would rather see her at the end of my drive way with a sign on it if you catch my drift.
Cheers
Cakey
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Cakey »

I think most people would recommend to take the pressure off the vlaves when removing the heads by backing the valve adjustment nuts right off. So I would definatley be checking the valve clearances after reinstalling the heads as a priority just in case.
1975 Gl1000
Paola Zago
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Paola Zago »

a friend of mine with the gl 1000 of 78, in 2016 he mounted the dyna ignition. seeing that it worked well, me and three other friends with the GL then did the same thing. mine had a life of 8 months, then a pickup burned out and went back to point and capacitor ignition, two other guys also had a burnt pickup and reassembled the old system. Paradoxically, my friend who rode it first and the one who rode it last have the perfect motorcycles. boh, mysteries of technology or bad luck ???
Paola (Italy)
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

I would say bad luck
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

One side of my Dyna failed just after the warranty ran out but they replaced it anyway. The replacement is still good 7 years later.

When the Dyna started to go bad it would cut out and then suddenly cut back in. I imagine it might be possible for one to not work when cold and start working when the engine is warm so it probably wouldn't hurt to check for spark.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

My first one ran good on startup, and until the engine warmed up. Then it would drop one side. O.K. when cooled off, but cut out when warmed up.
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

So far my Dyna (was on one of the bikes I purchased) is performing well. I learned with the TFI experiment that electronics really don't like it when the voltage regulator lets system voltage go to 17.5 Volts. I keep a close eye on the voltage of the Hunley (with the Dyna), which is why I mounted a DVM in place of the Honda bimetallic slow as mud VM.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped