engine work

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

gvmnt45
Lead Member
Lead Member

engine work

Post by gvmnt45 »

1st:

Hello! I am new to this group. My name is Peter but identified as Gvmnt45.

I am looking for any info on making my wing faster and more of a ground pounder. I would love to get this old girl up to about 100 hp.

Anyone ever try and succeed in making upgrades to a GL1000 engine.

Cams, pistons and rods, compression, valve changes, porting-polishing?

Any 2 barrel carb swap suggestions. Anyone ever try Webers Injection kit for a VW bug?

I am looking at a Weber 32/36 DGV (progressive) with jet changes. I can make just about anything I need for a manifold and cable holders.

Any help would be appreciated. I would just hate to duplicate mistakes that were already made in the past.

Peter

78 GL1000 (Currently on the road even through Chicago winters)
82 GL1100 Totaled and in the garage waiting to be resurected
72 XLCH Harley Sportster (Kick start only) In many, many pieces.
Zryder
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/zryder/

Welcome gvmnt45

Post by Zryder »

I'm looking for a Weber carb set up also but would prefer the single throttle body injection instead foe my 82 stnd . Enjoy the stay though .

Zryder
Dougal
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Dougal »

Mocheck in teh UK once tuned a 1000 for endurance racing. From memory they fitted bigger valves and higher lift cams. I also seem to recall the crankshaft got scared of the dark and came out of the crankcases to meet the daylight.
I have also seen a GL1200 with NOX fitted and this may be the easiest way ot get more power for a short time.
There are kits for twin chole carbs available, but these result in more bottom end power at the expense on high end power.

Keith
They say WHY?, I say why not.
If God had intended motor cycles to be standard, he would'nt have given us the hacksaw.
KLACKO
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by KLACKO »

Welcome, gvmnt45... IIRC, the earlier GL 1000 heads had larger valves and carbs and slightly more radical camshafts. I believe those early models were rated at 84 hp and 76 ft./lbs. of torque. These were reduced two or three times to provide a stronger low end. Gear ratios got taller over the course of production as well, all to improve the GL's adopted mission to become a touring rig. I don't know of anyone selling any kind of performance cam for the GL's, and to get the numbers you're after, I think that's where you'd need to focus. Of course, if you found someone to grind a cam with a high performance profile, using it will mean sacrificing the user friendly nature of the engine, and you won't have as easy a time changing gear ratios as a bike with a chain drive. Please don't think I'm discouraging you, that's not my intent at all! As far as induction, you'll want to check out this site: http://groups.msn.com/BackYardBuiltGold ... index.msnw. There's an on going qu est there to adapt an automotive EFI system to the 4 cyl GL's, led by Zryder. Other carb setups are outlined and discussed there as well.
...Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba....
-H.S. Thompson
1978 GL1000
1993 BMW K75
1981 KZ440 LTD
2001 Suzuki DR650SE
Try
NGW Founder
NGW Founder
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... wing-album

Re: engine work

Post by Try »

gvmnt45 wrote:1st:

Hello! I am new to this group. My name is Peter but identified as Gvmnt45.

I am looking for any info on making my wing faster and more of a ground pounder. I would love to get this old girl up to about 100 hp.

Anyone ever try and succeed in making upgrades to a GL1000 engine.

Cams, pistons and rods, compression, valve changes, porting-polishing?

Any 2 barrel carb swap suggestions. Anyone ever try Webers Injection kit for a VW bug?

I am looking at a Weber 32/36 DGV (progressive) with jet changes. I can make just about anything I need for a manifold and cable holders.

Any help would be appreciated. I would just hate to duplicate mistakes that were already made in the past.

Peter
Hi Peter and welcome to our forum.

Another member here BIG T, have a Brazilian weber carb, made for dune buggy, works great he said.. BIG T?
--
Try
"84 - GL1200 Standard

anim-cheers1

-
brokewings
Rusty Probie
Rusty Probie

Post by brokewings »

i had the cycle inovations setup on my 75 gl 1000, it was great.

the folks at www.classicwings.weg sell a blower setup for the gl 1000.

unreal power, but very pricey, about $2500.00 u.s.
brokewings
BIG T
Gold Member
Gold Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... ustom_wing

Post by BIG T »

hey Peter
apparently, the weber carb i obtained at a speed shop, designed for a manx style dune buggy, has been superceeded, new # unknown.
the carb works great, but the real HP increase come when i put on a 4 into 1 kerker header. it runs sharp to 8000rpms anb sounds like a big block chevy at idle.
i recomend upgrade,...coils and wires, then carb( 2 bbl. might work well, i haven't tried one yet) , and a high flow exhaust (even home made.)
Klacko had a listing for a VW manifold center section to fit a weber 2bbl.
keep tryin' and keep us posted,.....good luck....BIG T action1
please donate to keep this site alive.

admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof!