REFINISHING OLD CHROME

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Kroosa
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Re: REFINISHING OLD CHROME

Post by Kroosa »

Sandblasting may be a harsh method. If you really want to save the covers and repaint them, you might try using beads in a media blaster before you go all the way to sand. But as was said, it is probably easier to just get used ones on Ebay.
Ken R.

2013 BMW K1600 GTL
2013 CB1100
Several 75 & 76 GL1000's,
including a few LTD's, &
other early Hondas.
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

the problem with flacking chrome is that the aluminum is way way softer than the chrome or nickle (probably even the copper, you will eat away the aluminum faster than the chrome

so.... like everyone else, get some used ones from fleabay
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
tomk1960
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tomk1960 »

If it's really chrome and pitting or "erupting," then I agree with replacing them. It's hard to tell from your picture what you've got there. I have successfully powder coated over chrome many times, but that's after a very thorough blasting with aluminum oxide. It also has to be in decent condition to begin with. (a relatively smooth, consistent finish) If you've ever seen the horrible pitting that occurs on chrome plated white metal, (i.e. automobile turn signal housings, etc.) it's impossible to hide them with even multiple coats.

Your picture almost looks to me like the clearcoating failed and you have oxidation now underway. That can easily be dealt with.
1986 VFR750F Interceptor
1983 Honda CB1100F Super Sport - Red 1123 Resto-Mod
1978 Honda GL1000
Don R
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Don R »

It's pretty rare to see copper on aluminum. It's usually just nickel and chrome.
78 GL 1000, 70 CB750 sandcast, 70 CB836 hot rod, 1124cc 750 dragbike resto project.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
Explorer
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Explorer »

A lot of gurus have thrown their oar in here so far be it from me to intercede but here's the bottom line. Standard Honda belt covers where never chrome, highly polished Aluminum was the best you got. So yours, whether they be professionally or unprofessionally chromed, are not standard, although you can bet that the actual belt cover is, and is of good quality metal.

There are places in every city that will take them back to the original metal, you just have to look around, and if that's too hard, just take a wire brush to them and paint 'em, there's bright Aluminum paint out there too.

It'll look good whichever way you go, if that's the only issue you have.
taunusrainer
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by taunusrainer »

Another good looking alternative is sandblasting (with pretty rough corund) and then double or triple clearcoating until they are smooth and shiny. Quality clearcoat is mandatory. Cheap clearcoat will yellow quickly.