So much white smoke!!!

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Coder88
Brass Member
Brass Member

So much white smoke!!!

Post by Coder88 »

Today I was in the process of replacing a head gasket and my thermostat. I got the thermostat in and started removing the head. I started to take off all the bolts to remove the head and then Realized I was running out of light so I cranked everything back down and packed everything up. I started the bike and after warming for a few minutes it started pouring white smoke when it idled but at higher revs the smoke went away. Could I have damaged the head gasket even more by removing those bolts?
1980 GL1100 - KnightWing
SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: So much white smoke!!!

Post by SnoBrdr »

Coder88 wrote:Today I was in the process of replacing a head gasket and my thermostat. I got the thermostat in and started removing the head. I started to take off all the bolts to remove the head and then Realized I was running out of light so I cranked everything back down and packed everything up. I started the bike and after warming for a few minutes it started pouring white smoke when it idled but at higher revs the smoke went away. Could I have damaged the head gasket even more by removing those bolts?
My question would be, why did you start the bike at all if you knew there was a issue?
78 GL1000 Original Owner 131k
Coder88
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by Coder88 »

Anyone have any ideas?
1980 GL1100 - KnightWing
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Coder88 wrote:Anyone have any ideas?

Did it smoke that bad before? I'm not sure why you would have started the bike either after starting to remove the head. But yes, you very well may have disturbed the gasket enough to make it leak that bad. Did the smoke ever go away completely?
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
77Pinto
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by 77Pinto »

Coder88 wrote:Anyone have any ideas?
SnoBrdr wrote:
My question would be, why did you start the bike at all if you knew there was a issue?
Mine too, but I would go farther by asking if you pull out the head bolts and then put them back in why would you think you wouldn't have more problems.....

Bill
1976 GL1000 LTD (X2)
1976 GL1000 Sulfur
1977 GL1000
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

Nothing I can add. Everyone seems to have covered it pretty good. When you re0- installed the head bolts, did you torque them or just tighten them down? Really doesn't matter I guess. Just change the gasket and move on
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200