'new' 82 gl1100 first steps

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

ericbmerritt
Tin Member
Tin Member

'new' 82 gl1100 first steps

Post by ericbmerritt »

I have been watching this forum for a long time and finally managed to pick up an 82 gl1100 standard in pretty decent condition. Before I start doing the work to make it look like I want it to look there is a fair amount basic work to get this into good mechanical shape. Just for background, this bike was in someones garage for 11 years getting cranked up every five or six months. The previous owners already rebuilt and resynced the carbs, rebuilt the master cylinder, did some work on the rear drum etc. Basically, fixed all the obvious problems. There are a few other things I know to do, and probably a ton that I do not know needs to be done. For example, while the timing belt should last for 100000 miles, it doesn't like sitting, so probably needs to be replaced. What sort of, getting this into good (not just safe), mechanical condition should I be looking at? Thanks in advance for your advice/suggestions.
irishcarbomb
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: 'new' 82 gl1100 first steps

Post by irishcarbomb »

Welcome! Timing belts are a must...

Also have a look here, lots of good info.

http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13133

Good luck with your project
1983 GL1100 Fuel Injected Turbo Build Thread
ericbmerritt
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by ericbmerritt »

That is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!
Placerville
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Placerville »

ericbmerritt wrote: SNIP... "For example, while the timing belt should last for 100000 miles, it doesn't like sitting, so probably needs to be replaced."
Timing belts on automobiles can sometimes go for 100,000 miles but, not motorcycles. The general rule is 5 years or 25K miles. In absence of actual proof that they've been changed within that time frame, always opt for replacement.
Placerville - 1976 Yellow
Survivor - BOTM - May 2011

New and Confused ?
Push the Big Button
77Pinto
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by 77Pinto »

ericbmerritt wrote:I......did some work on the rear drum etc......
......the timing belt should last for 100000 miles, it doesn't like sitting, so probably needs to be replaced......
What rear drum?
For what Honda charges THEY (2) should last that long.

BTW: Water pump

Bill
1976 GL1000 LTD (X2)
1976 GL1000 Sulfur
1977 GL1000
ericbmerritt
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by ericbmerritt »

The water pump should be replaced? or simply inspected and assured that it is good (assuming that is possible).
77Pinto
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by 77Pinto »

ericbmerritt wrote:The water pump should be replaced? or simply inspected and assured that it is good (assuming that is possible).
You can pull the lower gooseneck off and look, feel, shake, or anything else you want to the pump impeller and if you think its fine, maybe it is. I have had them SEEM fine with no play, only to grenade a short time later. One did that literally minutes after start up, then dump all the coolant into the crankcase. Water can seep into the bearings and sit there for YEARS.

Here is the reality, if it fails it could take out your engine, and you might never know until its too late. My way of thinking is to deal with it the same as the timing belts: ANY doubt, change it.

Bill
1976 GL1000 LTD (X2)
1976 GL1000 Sulfur
1977 GL1000
ericbmerritt
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by ericbmerritt »

That argues very strongly for simply replacing it.