New Video - Fork Seal Removal and Replacement

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

tomk1960
Gold Member
Gold Member

New Video - Fork Seal Removal and Replacement

Post by tomk1960 »

Just released a little earlier this evening, my newest YouTube how-to video covers fork seal removal and replacement. My technique is simple and doesn't call for a lot of expensive specialty tools, so hopefully it will motivate the first-timer to take on the job.

I've been wanting to do this video for a while, so when it was time to do the fork seals on my VF750F recently, the timing was perfect. Note that this technique works with the later model GL's that have lower fork bushes. I plan to do another video in the future that will cover the somewhat more tedious task of seal removal on the early model bikes.

Special thanks to Jordan for another outstanding job with lights, sound, video, and editing. My son Joey helped behind the second camera and wrote and performed the blues tune heard at the beginning and end of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzJ8JgLtgk0
1986 VFR750F Interceptor
1983 Honda CB1100F Super Sport - Red 1123 Resto-Mod
1978 Honda GL1000
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Re: New Video - Fork Seal Removal and Replacement

Post by Whiskerfish »

Folgers cans are great!!

You shop is way to clean lolol lolol lolol lolol
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
"Yea I do dance awkwardly, and I am having more fun than you" Taylor Swift
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1984 GL1200 Standard
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
tomk1960
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tomk1960 »

Whiskerfish wrote:Folgers cans are great!!

You shop is way to clean lolol lolol lolol lolol
Not as clean as you think. I neaten things up before we do a video, but look closely in the background and you'll see stuff scattered about. I clean and organize once a year if I'm lucky and it stays that way until the minute I start working on something. From there it's all downhill and I ask myself why I even bother...
1986 VFR750F Interceptor
1978 Honda GL1000
Casper
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by Casper »

Good Video, thanks.
1976 LTD, Being Returned to Stock
Standard 1976 GL1000 Being Morphed into the Alberta Super Clipper
Roady
Member Relations &_Graphics
Member Relations &_Graphics

Post by Roady »

Another great vid. Very useful and bound for the ShopTalk page.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Great to heah the sounds of home again... :o)
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

At first I thought you had the tools laid out on the kitchen counter :P My workbench is an old kitchen counter and it never looks that good :lol:

I don't want to sound overly critical but I do things a little differently:
1) Loosen the cap before removing the leg from the triple clamps but don't remove it. Most of the ones I have done would not have come loose if I didn't.
2) If you loosen the bolt in the bottom before removing the cap you don't need that air impact gun that most first timers would consider an "expensive specialty tool".
3) I find that bent end snap ring pliers reach into the recess better, block the view of what you are doing less and are less likely to mar the tube.
4) I guess you could make an argument that dish detergent and water is "greener" but mineral spirits will remove more gunge, evaporates faster and, if you don't get it all out, will contaminate the fresh oil less.
5) It's a matter of preference but I like to spread old newspapers over my workbench and do the whole job standing up.
6) I have never used threadlocker on the bolt at the bottom. I have never had one come loose, it is easier to get them out the next time and you can add the oil right away.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

that way worked on my cx500, but, if I recall, you cannot use the slider to pop out a gl1000 seal from the fork lower
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
tomk1960
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tomk1960 »

Sidecar Bob wrote:At first I thought you had the tools laid out on the kitchen counter :P My workbench is an old kitchen counter and it never looks that good :lol:

I don't want to sound overly critical but I do things a little differently:
1) Loosen the cap before removing the leg from the triple clamps but don't remove it. Most of the ones I have done would not have come loose if I didn't.
2) If you loosen the bolt in the bottom before removing the cap you don't need that air impact gun that most first timers would consider an "expensive specialty tool".
3) I find that bent end snap ring pliers reach into the recess better, block the view of what you are doing less and are less likely to mar the tube.
4) I guess you could make an argument that dish detergent and water is "greener" but mineral spirits will remove more gunge, evaporates faster and, if you don't get it all out, will contaminate the fresh oil less.
5) It's a matter of preference but I like to spread old newspapers over my workbench and do the whole job standing up.
6) I have never used threadlocker on the bolt at the bottom. I have never had one come loose, it is easier to get them out the next time and you can add the oil right away.
All good points, which proves that there's more than one way to skin a cat. In the case of #2, I've had the Allen bolt spin with a regular socket - even with the spring and cap in place. Not always, but after it happened once or twice, I decided that the impact wrench was the way to go. There are inexpensive electric impact wrenches available for those not having a compressor readily available.
rcmatt007 wrote:that way worked on my cx500, but, if I recall, you cannot use the slider to pop out a gl1000 seal from the fork lower
That is correct. I mention at the end of the video that the earlier bikes don't have the benefit of the lower fork bush to help pop the seal. I plan to do another video covering the different way those seals are removed in the next 2-3 months when I rebuild the forks on my '78 GL1000.
1986 VFR750F Interceptor
1978 Honda GL1000
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

I was at work and did not have the sound on. A vid on getting gl1000 seals out would be great
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
tomk1960
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tomk1960 »

rcmatt007 wrote:I was at work and did not have the sound on. A vid on getting gl1000 seals out would be great
Well you're just going to have to watch it again with the sounc on so you can hear my son playing his Fender Stratocaster!
1986 VFR750F Interceptor
1978 Honda GL1000
Casper
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by Casper »

That was your Son on a Strat?, that makes the Video just so much better.

Cheers
1976 LTD, Being Returned to Stock
Standard 1976 GL1000 Being Morphed into the Alberta Super Clipper
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

tomk1960 wrote:In the case of #2, I've had the Allen bolt spin with a regular socket - even with the spring and cap in place. Not always, but after it happened once or twice, I decided that the impact wrench was the way to go. There are inexpensive electric impact wrenches available for those not having a compressor readily available.
Maybe beginners have more money for power tools these days or the tools are cheaper :dunno: I kept my bikes running on a shoestring budget for a couple of decades. I managed to budget for a compressor because it would pay for itself by letting me change my own tires but with no tank it wouldn't have been very good for air tools anyway. I doubt if I could have found the cash for an electric impact gun either (if they were even available then). I have always used an ordinary hex key and if I couldn't turn it or it wouldn't come loose I found that hitting the key with a hammer a few times could usually break the bolt free.

I bought a compressor with a tank a few years ago that came with a bunch of air tools (all for about what the first one cost a couple of decades earlier). I do use the air impact gun for a few jobs like undoing the nuts when I put the snow tires on the car, b but I still use an ordinary hex key when I do forks.

BTW: I forgot to mention that I usually let most of the old oil out by removing the drain screws before I remove the caps too so it isn't as messy a job.

Anyway, it was a much better video than I could make and the fact that your son provided the music as well as running the camera is very cool :8) :8)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by rcmatt007 »

I am kinda thinking the impact driver gives that sudden "oomph" that loosens it before it can dissipate all its energy... good idea
-Rodger-
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Each impact of the gun is like hitting the key with the hammer. The idea is to make it move before the force overcomes the inertia of the part it is screwed into. An impact gun is more efficient at that but it costs a lot more and there is always the temptation to use it for doing things up and the chance that you won't turn the force to minimum first.

As I said before, I got into the habit of loosening them with a regular hex key (& occasionally a hammer) over a couple of decades so it doesn't even occur to me to dig out the rattle gun until after the job is done.