Another tale of carburetion woe

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Another tale of carburetion woe

Post by desertrefugee »

Well, I've had the opportunity to put some miles on my recently re-streeted '78. Just under 400 miles in a week! It has been running well - mostly. I've had an off-idle stumble since getting it back together. During my refurb, I had the carbs off no less than three times - on the first giving them a complete rebuild (not the Randakk kit).

What I now notice is intermittent behavior. Besides the off-idle issue, the most noticeable issue is that it will run like dog doo just after coming off the freeway. Did this twice yesterday during a 200 mile day. Each time, it cleared up in a couple of minutes.

This morning, I wanted to blow more cobwebs out and took it out for a solo run. Ran like dog doo pretty much the entire time. I turned back home and threw the IR gun on it. #2 was running about 15*F hotter, so I ran the idle air screw out one full turn. I don't know it it was coincidence or what, but I took it for another spin and it was running well again.

So, I'm sure I have idle circuit issues with regard to the off-idle issue. But what gives with the changing behavior. Sticking float? Slide hanging up?

I had actually intended to pack these things up and send them off to Pistol Pete. I even spoke with him. But, things got better and I held out.

Now, I'm thinking I'll send them off anyway. But, that's a pretty pricey (for me) decision...
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
chewy999
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: Another tale of carburetion woe

Post by chewy999 »

desertrefugee wrote:I had actually intended to pack these things up and send them off to Pistol Pete. I even spoke with him. But, things got better and I held out.

Now, I'm thinking I'll send them off anyway. But, that's a pretty pricey (for me) decision...
I was in a similar situation when I started. The bike was only firing on three cylinders, so, long story short, and after loads of help here, I stripped the carbs down myself, and cleaned them with carb cleaner and reassembled using the same seals and it worked to a point. Contacted Pistol Pete, and was ready to send them, but in the end used Old Fogey in Scotland to save postage. (Pistol Pete and Moose were most gracious when I explained my decision to them). Anyway, think you will find if you get your carbs built properly using Randakks kit, you will realise it is actually money well spent.

anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1
Previous Rides,
1980 CB250N Good to learn on
1981 CX500 good mid range tourer, went to Austria on it!
1983 GL1100C Pride and joy, sold when I bought my 1st house, big mistake
1985 GL650 Silverwing another mistake, horrible bike
1986 CBX550 Good commuter
1989 Suzuki GS750 (1976) cheap and cheerful until a dog ran out in front of me on Xmas Eve, 1991
Current bikes
2010 CB1300 back on a bike after 19 years, two divorces, children grown up etc
1980 GL1100 NOW ON THE ROAD, still use CB1300.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

How's the inside of the tank look? Check the upper sides with a mirror.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
zman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zman »

It is not impossible that you could have a piece of an old oring stuck in the idle circuit passageway, with rubber it would be difficult to clear out by riding or additives, and I think there are 3 holes in the throttle bore that should all be clear. I`m going on the assumption you did everything else correctly, and the blockage could have happened well before you bought the bike..
1980 1100 Interstate, 1978 GL1000
roachb
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by roachb »

If you find the cause please let us know because I am chasing a similar issue.
RoachB
'75 GL 1000
'79 CM400T

"If you're going to repair a motorcycle, an adequate supply of gumption is the first and most important tool."

- Robert M. Pirsig
jdvorchak
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by jdvorchak »

I'm a little fuzzy on the whole "running like dog doo" description...

I've been working on cars, trucks and just about anything with an internal combustion engine for about 50 years. I've hear of "cutting out" "dead miss" "won't get above idle" "idles too high or too low" but "dog doo".. Must have missed that one...

Is it dropping a cylinder or two?
Is there poor throttle response because it's too lean or too rich?
Did you remove the air dam behind the radiator and now your carbs are getting hot and semi vapor locking? The fact that it clears itself after a couple of minutes seems to indicate that it is a heat related issue.
New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help:
http://ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST

Don't fix it 'til it's broke...
The person with the most toys wins!
If it has wheels or a skirt you can't afford it.
Amateur Radio Station WW9L

71 CL350 with Bingham side car
2021 HD Triglide
2008 HD Dyna Low Rider
83 KZ1100L1 Son totaled it
83 KZ550LTD Shaft sold

Previous bikes: 84 GL1200 STD, 83 KZ550LTD, 83 CB1000, 78 CB400A, 82 CB900F, 79 CB750K, 2001 GL1800, 2000 Dyna Super Glide, 1972 CB350 K4, 1985 GL1200A, 1997 1200 Sportster, 84 GL1200I, 82 Honda CM400E, 81 Suzuki GS650L, 72 Triumph Bonneville 750, 72 Honda CB350, 66(?) Honda 305 Scrambler, 6? Yamaha yz250, 62 650 Matchless (Norton-Villers).
John
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

jdvorchak wrote:I'm a little fuzzy on the whole "running like dog doo" description...

I've been working on cars, trucks and just about anything with an internal combustion engine for about 50 years. I've hear of "cutting out" "dead miss" "won't get above idle" "idles too high or too low" but "dog doo".. Must have missed that one...

Is it dropping a cylinder or two?
Is there poor throttle response because it's too lean or too rich?
Did you remove the air dam behind the radiator and now your carbs are getting hot and semi vapor locking? The fact that it clears itself after a couple of minutes seems to indicate that it is a heat related issue.
I guess what you must have missed was an attempt at brevity and/or humor. (look it up).

A few more details, beyond what I offered up, may or may not have helped someone put their finger on my problem. I guess I could have added that it has been running a bit lean in all four holes. All I was looking for was ideas. Thanks for providing yours.

I've seen the inside of carburetors ranging from SU to Amal to Carter/Edelbrock to Holley and have yet to run into the kinds of issues I have on this set. I suppose the jetting could simply be wrong, but I don't believe they were ever touched before I got into them. Nor do I believe the Sportster mufflers are the culprit. While I agree that the off-highway symptom suggests a heat-related issue, the air dam is very much in place - and the low RPM stumble is a constant.

Anyway, it really doesn't matter now as I've thrown in the towel and sent them off to Pistol Pete. I've promised them a Christmas card if they can also let me know what they might find going on.

Hats off to those who've been successful with their rebuilds. I have neither time nor patience (or apparently, ability) to get to the bottom of what ails this set.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
chewy999
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by chewy999 »

desertrefugee wrote:I have neither time nor patience (or apparently, ability) to get to the bottom of what ails this set.
I actually found working on the carbs interesting and relaxing. Considering it was the first time I had attempted carbs, it was quite successful. Used the original seals and it worked better than when I started. That said, I did end up sending them to Old Fogey to get them done properly. But there are good guides in shoptalk and if you take your time and do each carb separately, it's good fun. Definitely do it myself if needed in the future.

anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1
Previous Rides,
1980 CB250N Good to learn on
1981 CX500 good mid range tourer, went to Austria on it!
1983 GL1100C Pride and joy, sold when I bought my 1st house, big mistake
1985 GL650 Silverwing another mistake, horrible bike
1986 CBX550 Good commuter
1989 Suzuki GS750 (1976) cheap and cheerful until a dog ran out in front of me on Xmas Eve, 1991
Current bikes
2010 CB1300 back on a bike after 19 years, two divorces, children grown up etc
1980 GL1100 NOW ON THE ROAD, still use CB1300.
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

78's don't have an off idle issue, that was something on the earlier wings. So if you have one, the carbs are not working right at all. Slide problems are not when you open it up (or shut it down) as the vacuum overcomes the stickiness (and if they are stuck that bad it won't really run). Sticking slides will give you a little running rough at a steady speed.
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS