Off topic?? Maybe. Shout out to local bike shop.

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Re: Off topic?? Maybe. Shout out to local bike shop.

Post by robin1731 »

Oldewing wrote:Mine too, but the owner is a slug lolol lolol

But he had to work when he was here. ;)

I guess that "good supervisor" was here though too. :orange
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
jdvorchak
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by jdvorchak »

chewy999 wrote:I bought my CB1300 from a main Honda dealer about 50 miles away, and as I was getting back to bikes, I got a good deal on all the kit. Then I would make the trip every time it needed a service, and paid the price that only main dealers seem to charge. Last year, a month after a 'major' service, the chain needed changing as it was worn, and they had not noticed, and certainly hadn't advised me.
On a mates recommendation, I went to a small two man place about 8 miles away. As has been said, had to pay a little more, but not much, but he did the chain and sprockets, and also said the swing arm bearing were worn, another thing the main dealer bandits had missed. He took the time to show me so knew he wasn't trying to pull a fast one, and again quoted me a fair price and did that work a week later. The only thing I had to do extra, was to take a packet of chocolate biscuits to eat with the FREE tea and coffee, and that makes him and his mate remember me! (think that's the reason!) :lol:
Now I will always go back to Paul and Dave, as they are people to trust, have a laugh with, and as the reviews in the link show, have a good reputation, and sometimes, that is hard to find.

http://gooddealerscheme.co.uk/dealershi ... ch=pe283hx

My comments are dated 7th and 16th April! :lol:

So while the web can save a lot of money, sometimes the best things are right in front of you!

anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1
Stick with us for a while longer and you'll be doing the work yourself. Then it's just a matter of sourcing the parts you need. We all started with a pair of pliers and a screwdriver and dirt poor. So we had to either learn or sit at home and watch your buddies ride. Instead of paying a shop rate, use that money for tools. Before long you'll have all the tools you need and it's money in the bank after that.
New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help:
http://ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST

Don't fix it 'til it's broke...
The person with the most toys wins!
If it has wheels or a skirt you can't afford it.
Amateur Radio Station WW9L

71 CL350 with Bingham side car
2021 HD Triglide
2008 HD Dyna Low Rider
83 KZ1100L1 Son totaled it
83 KZ550LTD Shaft sold

Previous bikes: 84 GL1200 STD, 83 KZ550LTD, 83 CB1000, 78 CB400A, 82 CB900F, 79 CB750K, 2001 GL1800, 2000 Dyna Super Glide, 1972 CB350 K4, 1985 GL1200A, 1997 1200 Sportster, 84 GL1200I, 82 Honda CM400E, 81 Suzuki GS650L, 72 Triumph Bonneville 750, 72 Honda CB350, 66(?) Honda 305 Scrambler, 6? Yamaha yz250, 62 650 Matchless (Norton-Villers).
John
chewy999
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by chewy999 »

jdvorchak wrote: Stick with us for a while longer and you'll be doing the work yourself. Then it's just a matter of sourcing the parts you need. We all started with a pair of pliers and a screwdriver and dirt poor. So we had to either learn or sit at home and watch your buddies ride. Instead of paying a shop rate, use that money for tools. Before long you'll have all the tools you need and it's money in the bank after that.
Funny you say that, despite the issues and problems I've had, I am more than happy to dig deep into my GL, but with my CB 1300 being a modern bike, don't have the confidence to work on it in the same way. Use my bike to get to work, so can't afford it to be off the road. Maybe when I (eventually) get my GL on the road, I can spend time and less money on the CB!

Previous Rides,
1980 CB250N Good to learn on
1981 CX500 good mid range tourer, went to Austria on it!
1983 GL1100C Pride and joy, sold when I bought my 1st house, big mistake
1985 GL650 Silverwing another mistake, horrible bike
1986 CBX550 Good commuter
1989 Suzuki GS750 (1976) cheap and cheerful until a dog ran out in front of me on Xmas Eve, 1991
Current bikes
2010 CB1300 back on a bike after 19 years, two divorces, children grown up etc
1980 GL1100 NOW ON THE ROAD, still use CB1300.
SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by SnoBrdr »

chewy999 wrote:
jdvorchak wrote: Stick with us for a while longer and you'll be doing the work yourself. Then it's just a matter of sourcing the parts you need. We all started with a pair of pliers and a screwdriver and dirt poor. So we had to either learn or sit at home and watch your buddies ride. Instead of paying a shop rate, use that money for tools. Before long you'll have all the tools you need and it's money in the bank after that.
Funny you say that, despite the issues and problems I've had, I am more than happy to dig deep into my GL, but with my CB 1300 being a modern bike, don't have the confidence to work on it in the same way. Use my bike to get to work, so can't afford it to be off the road. Maybe when I (eventually) get my GL on the road, I can spend time and less money on the CB!

I agree. Many people just don't have the knowledge or confidence to attempt to do their own work..
They should be commended for knowing this.
78 GL1000 Original Owner 131k