Dyna Ignition

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Lads
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Dyna Ignition

Post by Lads »

I have searched the forum and have not found the answer to what I think is a simple question.

I have followed the shoptalk thread by Octane on setting the timing for the Dyna-s.. It went fairly smooth but I noticed that the light stayed on before and after the timing mark for quite a few degrees. Is this normal? Based on Octanes directions it seems like it should be a tighter tolerance but this is my first ignition work an may be fairly normal.

Thanks in advance (no pun).
NCScooter
Gold Member
Gold Member
My Album: http://ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.php/w ... ter?page=1

Re: Dyna Ignition

Post by NCScooter »

My timing learning curve has been somewhat retarded :IDTS: but mine did that too. It should come on just as the mark rolls by, though. I believe the length it stays on after is "dwell." I am now in unknown territory. Gurus? (I chimed in here to use the pun, no knowledge is expressed or implied.)
I need to remember to keep my expectations tiny so I don't end up so whiny.
1976 CB400f
Image 1977 GL1000-The Breeze
I'm so special, my short bus only has two wheels!
rnelson
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by rnelson »

I timed mine recently and the light should come on exactly where you want it to. That's what you're trying to set, but the light will stay on for much longer as you continue to manually turn the engine over. So to answer your question it's yes. Normal.
Rick Nelson
Charlotte, NC

Current Rides:
99 Vulcan Classic 1500
08 Concours 1400
79 Goldwing GL1000 (No longer a project. She's a runner!)
Lads
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Lads »

Great. The best part is it makes sense; fire when compression is highest and then trail off so you can get complete combustion. I will make sure it initiates when the F line crosses in the normal rotation and then stops a short time after.

Thanks