Dyna S Ignition

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Hanslehoff
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Dyna S Ignition

Post by Hanslehoff »

I'm in the process of doing a cafe build and part of it involves swapping in a different motor. My build thread is here: http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=56574

I pulled the points cover off this afternoon and discovered that my new motor has a Dyna S ignition in it. I had planned on upgrading to an electronic ignition some time in the future, so this was a pleasant surprise. But...I don't know anything about them! The rest of my bike has all the stock wiring. Will I need anything else for this to work or is it simple plug and play?

Here's what it looks like:
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Re: Dyna S Ignition

Post by Track T 2411 »

If you go to 'ShopTalk' you will find three threads concerning installation and adjustment of the Dyna ignition... http://ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5614 http://ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5720 http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23790 That should give you a good start...

Good wrenchin'
Todd
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

+1 you can also download instructions from http://www.dynaonline.com/skins/downloads/Default.aspx
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Hanslehoff
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Hanslehoff »

I read through the instructions and I think I understand. I bought the motor separate, so I only have the ignition with the three wires coming out from the points cover. I don't have the Dyna resistor to replace the stock one with or the wiring to patch into the 12v lead. Is there any way to order just those missing items? Or if I'm understanding correctly, I can buy the high performance Dyna ignition coils?
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

You can use it with any 3ohm coils, gl1200, or Gl1500's. The 1500's are pretty cheap on eBay. Buy a set and you have one backup coil. IMHO, this is a good swap as you can also replace wires. However, your bike is pretty original looking, so you might want to keep it stock. I would think Dyna would still have the ballasts or steer you to the right one.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Hanslehoff
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Hanslehoff »

My bike is in the midst of a complete rebuild / modification so keeping things stock is no longer an issue. I will attempt to get in contact with Dyna and see what they recommend.
gregforesi
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Greg+Foresi/

Post by gregforesi »

On early installations of Dynas, they recommended pulling the power from the turn indicator circuit. Occasionally this has resulted in the bike going dead just because something happened to the turn indicators. If you pull the power for the red Dyna lead from some other switched circuit you can eliminate that possible issue.
Dyna's tech support is pretty good. They will hook you up with the ballast resistor to use with your stock coils. While the Dyna ignition simply eliminates the maintenance of points, moving up to the Dyna coils (or other more modern coils I suppose) is a decent performance upgrade over stock.
2006 GL1800 (Brutus Maximus)
1978 GL1000 (White Trash - 2012 BOTY
(If you want to discuss the Trashmobile, Webers, Rearsets, Clubmans, or other stuff then send me a PM.)
"Getting old ain't for sissies" - Phyllis Diller
"So how much you gonna spend to win that $5 trophy?" - Cyborg
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Hanslehoff wrote:My bike is in the midst of a complete rebuild / modification so keeping things stock is no longer an issue. I will attempt to get in contact with Dyna and see what they recommend.

I would just put new Dyna 3ohm coils on it. Don't need the resistor then.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Toehead
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Toehead »

GL1500 coils are also 3.0 ohms. I run mine without the resistor, and it is a really good combination.
2012 Golf TDI, fast and frugal oil burner
1980 CX500C, All around road warrior (Sold)
1975 TS125 (Sold), old smoker
1977 naked GL1000, Highway cruiser
'81 GL1100 14,000 (reconditioned and sold)
'81 GL1100 50,000 miles (under construction)
2X 1981 CM400 beginner bike (sold)
1980 CB750C (sold)
1994 Virago 750 (Wifey's bike)
'76 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow (Megasquirted efi build) http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=59774
Hanslehoff
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Hanslehoff »

I ordered a set of the 3ohm coils from dyna and will splice in a power supply when I wore it al, up. Thanks guys!