GL1000 clutch: Damper plate or no damper plate?

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

GL1000 clutch: Damper plate or no damper plate?

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I am finally putting the new clutch in. I was inspecting the old plates (all in spec except the one with the wide tabs, which is completely bare) when I remembered that I had removed the damper plate a few years ago http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 22#p436622

The same plate that fell apart in 2012 has done the same thing again (starting in 2013 so I guess it wasn't really fixed then) but this time with no damper plate and a plain plate next to it. The plain plate is scored where the bad friction plate was rubbing against it too.

I have the perfect looking damper plate that I removed in 2012. It is the "improved" type that Fogey mentioned in his addendum to the first post in that thread, but so was the one that fell apart. I also have several more plain plates in good condition.

My new EBC friction plates have been soaking for a couple of weeks while I dealt with life (or it dealt with me).

I'm thinking I should just re-assemble it with the new friction plates & no damper plate and replace the plain plate that was damaged by the friction plate that came apart. What do you guys think?
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Re: GL1000 clutch: Damper plate or no damper plate?

Post by robin1731 »

No damper plate. Assured of no further failures that way.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

Whooooaaaa.!!!!!!!! :shock:

First I've heard of the 'double tooth plate' damper breaking up, but it looks like I need to rewrite the advice on that post and on the website.
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

OK, having thought about this overnight, I think that the damper plate that failed was the type that had teeth on both plates, but I couldn't swear to it. My engine is a '79 but when I got it the clutch slipped so I put the working clutch with 1 year old friction plates into it from the '77 engine that it was replacing. That was over 20 years ago and after all that time I can't remember for sure but I think we just swapped everything from one to the other, so the plate that failed was likely to have been from the '77 engine and the one I replaced it with about 10 years later (& in a different bike) was the one original to the '79 engine.

Are we confused yet?

Anyway, I am putting it together with 2 plain plates in place of the damper plate. I think I figured out what might have caused the failure this time too: http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 34#p632334
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

And after all that the new clutch won't go in anyway. http://ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=57605