Fuel Cap Venting Question

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

HotFoot
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Fuel Cap Venting Question

Post by HotFoot »

GL1100 if it matters....

Is the OEM cap designed for one way venting? ..... air is only allowed to be sucked in as fuel is used and a vacuum created?

Are there any internal rubber seals?

Hoppy
'81 Honda GL1100 Std
'80 Honda CX500D
'79 CX500C (Stagnant Project)
Ever Growing SHOP (Shameful Hoard Of Parts)
The Past: Triumph, Norton, BSA, Honda, HD, Kawasaki
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Re: Fuel Cap Venting Question

Post by robin1731 »

HotFoot wrote:GL1100 if it matters....

Is the OEM cap designed for one way venting? ..... air is only allowed to be sucked in as fuel is used and a vacuum created? Yes, that is correct.

Are there any internal rubber seals? Internal no, just the seal to seat the cap.

Hoppy
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
HotFoot
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by HotFoot »

Thank you! Cap is going to get boiled/ultra sonic cleaning to drive any possible evil spirits out,..... didn't want to bugger anything internal.

Hoppy
'81 Honda GL1100 Std
'80 Honda CX500D
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

this is actually why often your hear a whoosh when you open the tank. Engine heat transferred to the tank (as well as outside ambient pressure) may create a little pressure in the tank. Likewise, there may be just a little vacuum that is not enough to overcome the one way valve
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
HotFoot
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by HotFoot »

I often hear a muffled little "phhitt" when turning the fuel valve to open, especially after the bike has sat a while. Apparently pressure being released into the fuel line/filter/pump. It's the little "Fuel Elf" in there waking up (passing gas).

Cap has been boiled in water/Pine Sol. Soaked in CLR for a few minutes, flushed with water, Dipped in alcohol to get all the water out. Now on to the fuel filter. A Randakk unit installed about 2500 miles ago. I don't expect to find much as I had thoroughly cleaned the inside of the tank.

This has all come about due to being out last Sunday when about 60 miles into a pleasant ride I did not get good throttle response chugging up a mile long hill. Was in 5th gear, downshifted to 4th (55 mph). A slight coughing so I switched to reserve even though I had well over half a tank. Cough went away but I was a bit anxious for the 25 miles left to get home. I get paranoid about this sort of thing.

Actually reminded me of carb ice indications, (going back 30+ years and a Continental A-65). It was a perfect day for it. 85F and humid. The A-65's underslung Stomberg carb would ice up in a heart beat when power was pulled. I've seen frost externally on the carb body while on the ground. Can't really imagine a Goldwing getting carb ice but I suppose it is possible. I had been going downhill (throttle back) for a minute or so before I cranked on the throttle to chug up out of the valley. Anyone ever think they may have experienced GW carb ice?

Hoppy
'81 Honda GL1100 Std
'80 Honda CX500D
robbie202
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by robbie202 »

i was wondering how to clean the cap. refurbished fuel tank should be here some time next week.
'77 GL1000
'03 Sportster
2020 KLX 250
mrtwowheel
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by mrtwowheel »

The culprit is the same yellow fuel gum that gums up carbs. Any solvent that dissolves gum and is still kind to rubber should work. I've used Walmart Tech Lube, generic WD40, but I've seen this solvent swell rubber before, it worked. Brake cleaner should work, some use Seafoam. Alcohol and carb cleaner are not kind to paint and some rubbers. I think the Honda civic cap is the one that is a good fit for some GLs.

Scott.
'86 1200 Interstate, alternator conversion, pinstriped by Charlie Buzzard
'75 GL1000, Blue Green, fermenting
Many more, mostly Hondas
Newbie, my ass