Electronic ignition back to points....

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

katmol
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Electronic ignition back to points....

Post by katmol »

My 1976 GL has a Dyna electronic ignition on it. I'm having trouble with the system I think. I really would like to go back to points so I could eliminate that as the possible problem. If that's not the problem, then I'll more than likely reinstall it.
Anyway... what all will I need to take it back to stock points? Also, I'm running Dyna 3-ohm coils, will I need to install a ballast resistor with these coils?

Thanks!
Old Naked Wings and SOHC 750's
olchris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Electronic ignition back to points....

Post by olchris »

Is it possible that you might want to share the problem with the Dyna?? or have you already made your mind up to revert back to 70's technology.... Whatever you want is fine, but there is help for Dyna's if you want!!!
1972 Norton.. Rebuild from boxes.. http://www.accessnorton.com/strange-fra ... 44-60.html and here http://www.accessnorton.com/strange-frame-t18084.html SOLD
1975 Mk3 Norton.. Too good to mess with, but refurbished...
1975 Goldwing #1 SOLD
!975 Goldwing #2.. http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 2+wing%232
1975 Goldwing #3... http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic. ... =Wing+%233 Going very slowly but going forward..
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

You'll need the points plate, points, and the the cam which operates the points. It is removed from the advance assembly and replaced with the Dyna rotor with magnets. You'll also need the condensers. Most people who convert to Dyna leave them on and in place, just not wired in.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Neil

Post by Neil »

Check with Dyna on your problem, less trouble than reinstalling points to see if the problem is still there.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

The ballast resistor on the original coils was around 3 ohms, but your coils are higher ohm than stock, I think I have read here that the whole system was around 5 ohms. That included the wires. You probably could be safe with the 1.82ohm resistor that Randakk lists.

Have you checked the resistors in your spark plug leads? They could be your problem. You can remove them and replace with a piece of solid conductor to see if it helps your issue.

IIRC, Dyna sends the units to a place in Montana to be tested. If you email them, they wil send you a UPS label to return it. If bad, they usually offer a new unit at about half price. It can take a few weeks. Even though you're closer, the new units come from elsewhere and they make them in batches. Sometimes they're sold out and you have to wait for the new batch to be made.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by SnoBrdr »

ericheath wrote:The ballast resistor on the original coils was around 3 ohms, but your coils are higher ohm than stock, I think I have read here that the whole system was around 5 ohms. That included the wires. You probably could be safe with the 1.82ohm resistor that Randakk lists.

Have you checked the resistors in your spark plug leads? They could be your problem. You can remove them and replace with a piece of solid conductor to see if it helps your issue.

IIRC, Dyna sends the units to a place in Montana to be tested. If you email them, they wil send you a UPS label to return it. If bad, they usually offer a new unit at about half price. It can take a few weeks. Even though you're closer, the new units come from elsewhere and they make them in batches. Sometimes they're sold out and you have to wait for the new batch to be made.
In regards to sending them back to Dyna, do you mean newly bought setups?

I emailed them about a problem and there was no offer to test the setup nor was there any offer to sell me a new setup at any type of discount.
78 GL1000 Original Owner 131k
maintainer
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by maintainer »

When I went with Dyna coils and an electronic ignition I called support about the ballast resistor.
They said you only need the ballast resistor when you use their coils combined with contact points igniton. You don't need it when using an electronic ignition system.
Last edited by maintainer on Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

maintainer wrote:When I went with Dyna coils and an electronic ignition I called support about the ballast resistor.
They said you need three ballast resistor when you use their coils with contact points igniton. You don't need it when using an electronic ignition system.

But you do need the ballast when running the Dyna ignition with stock coils.

He is running Dyna 3ohm coils so same ballast resistor as stock.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

SnoBrdr wrote:
ericheath wrote:The ballast resistor on the original coils was around 3 ohms, but your coils are higher ohm than stock, I think I have read here that the whole system was around 5 ohms. That included the wires. You probably could be safe with the 1.82ohm resistor that Randakk lists.

I emailed them about a problem and there was no offer to test the setup nor was there any offer to sell me a new setup at any type of discount.
Every time I've heard of someone contacting them with a problem had good results. Dyna gave them an RO number to send it in. They then check it out. If it checks good they let you know and send it back. If it checks bad they offer a replacement at reduced cost. Even people with the old Dyna III system have had the same experience.
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by SnoBrdr »

robin1731 wrote:
SnoBrdr wrote:

Every time I've heard of someone contacting them with a problem had good results. Dyna gave them an RO number to send it in. They then check it out. If it checks good they let you know and send it back. If it checks bad they offer a replacement at reduced cost. Even people with the old Dyna III system have had the same experience.

Here is their response:

Hello
We do not know where your Dyna III module is installed, but in normal operation it does tend to get quite warm to the touch, but not so hot that you cannot keep your hand on it.
The Dyna-S ignition for the GL1000 has part number DS1-3. It eliminates the Dyna III module and the entire DS1-3 ignition is now placed where the Dyna III sensor plate resides, in the ignition housing. Installation is actually much easier than the Dyna III, although the same timing procedure is used.
Should you ever decide to upgrade the OEM coils with Dynatek coils, you can use our 3.0 ohm coil set, part number DC1-1 and use our DW-200 plug wire kit.
Please note that if installing our DC1-1 coil set, the Dyna-S ballast resister can be eliminated.
We have attached the DS1-3 installation guide for your review.
If you need any further assistance, please let us know.
Thank you,
Larry Nelson
Technical Support
Dynatek
1-800-928-DYNA (3962)

Did I miss where they say anything about sending back to be checked or a replacement at a discount ?

Maybe their policy has changed.

It surly has for me.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Larry is the man to speak or correspond with. I talked with somebody else once who sounded more corporate and he acted like he could care less.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by SnoBrdr »

ericheath wrote:Larry is the man to speak or correspond with. I talked with somebody else once who sounded more corporate and he acted like he could care less.
That's the impression I got from the letter from this Larry.

Unknown if there is more than one Larry there.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Larry Nelson as in post above. He has advised me other issues as well. Very helpful.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

That was their response to what question?

Like Eric said, Larry is the guy.
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
SnoBrdr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by SnoBrdr »

robin1731 wrote:That was their response to what question?

Like Eric said, Larry is the guy.
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=58277