GL1100 Melting Altenator / Stator Wires at plug !!??!!

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Eenvader
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

GL1100 Melting Altenator / Stator Wires at plug !!??!!

Post by Eenvader »

Man I feel like a dummy ! Was working on a "running rough" at 3000 RPM issue, drained my gas tank to put in fresh fuel. Then filled it up again. At the same time was removing chrome accessories to make the bike look more naked. I took off these plates that hide the carburetors and these covers that cover up the the 4 intakes from the carbs that are held down by one screw. so I go to start the bike and its running bad and its spitting out air through the holes. So I stop the bike and put the screw back into each manifold. Start the bile and it runs ok, a bit of white exhaust at first then ok. But I see smoke coming from the left side cover by the battery, pull the cover and see the connector with 3 yellow wires melting and smoking. I shut off the bike. Start it again later, runs great but 3 minutes in the connector starts to smoke / melt again... I read on the web that this is common ???? and to cut the connector out and solder the wires back together ?? Have you heard of this ? It has to be coincidence with the spitting issue...I didn't know those screws needed back in...ugggggg...what you think ?
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Re: GL1100 Melting Altenator / Stator Wires at plug !!??!!

Post by Whiskerfish »

Yes the Infamous three yellow wires are a very well known issue. Most just eliminate the connector and hard solder the wires to eliminate the problem. Some replace the connector itself. It needs fixed before you try to run the engine again or you will burn out the stator if it has not already done so. Here is one discussion thread http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10104

Those screws on the bottom of the intake runners are where you hook up a manometer to balance the Carburetors.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
"Yea I do dance awkwardly, and I am having more fun than you" Taylor Swift
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1984 GL1200 Standard
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
Eenvader
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Eenvader »

Hey thanks ! I cracked the old melted plugs apart and now have the 6 wires out of it. the metal connectors are still good on the wires, but I think I'll either cut them off and solder / heat shrink the wires, or put on a straight thru crimp on...makes you wonder how it could melt that connecter, why it won't melt the insulation off the wires or heat shrink ?? ..... Ya now I understand about the 4 holes LOL, runs worth nothing wid them out lol
salukispeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by salukispeed »

The oxide that forms on the brass connector surface does not carry the high current from the stator so well and therefore generate a lot of heat and the plastic connector fails. Some have crimped the wires but this is not much better than the spade connectors after a bit. A good cleaning, and soldering seems to be the best solution over time. I went a slightly different route by cleaning, crimping non insulated connectors and then soldering the connections and heat shrink. This way I got a good solid mechanical and electrical connection. It is important that the solder flows freely into the connector. Most twist and solder with good results .
Honda 72 CL100 sold
74 CB750 K4 nice driver
1966 CA77/305 Dream nostalgic driver
84 GL1200I work in progress
1970 CT 70
1982 GL500 Interstate
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Suggestion is to cut back a few inches of wires on both sides as the corrosion and heat usually follows the wire back under the insulation.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

The thing about soldering is that unless the wires are clean you will end up heating the wire a lot before the solder will bond with it and that can cause embrittlement of the copper which often causes the wire to break right next to the soldered connection. And, of course, once you have soldered them you will need to cut them and re-solder them if you need to take the engine out.

That is why I recommend replacing the original connector with a similar one and applying a water repellent grease into both parts of the connector to prevent the brass parts from oxidizing.

You can get new connectors from http://easternbeaver.com/ and a number of other suppliers.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
RB
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by RB »

I do it by gettign some good connectors and then leaving the wires sealed up and separated so they can dissapate the heat better..rather than bound together in a bundle.
98 1500 SE..
99 1500 SE SOLD
97 SE 1500 SOLD
83 SOLD
82 REBUILT sold!!!
81 DAILY RIDER sold her :(((!
81 REBUILT SOLD!!!
81 REBUILT SOLD!!
80 REBUILT SOLD
79 IN BASKET PARTS FOR SALE
79 CLEANED UP AND SOLD
78 REBUILT SOLD
77 REBUILT SOLD
76 SOLD/PARTIAL REBUILD
76 REBUILT AND SOLD
75 REBUILT SOLD
75 REBUILT SOLD
75 REBUILD SOLD

FAIR WINDS,
RB
jdvorchak
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by jdvorchak »

The only reason they get hot is because the corrosion is causing resistance. Resistance = Heat. Goldwings are NOT the only bikes affected by those white connectors. Every Metric from the 60's 70's and 80's has the same problem. I did a write up in the How To forum about removing that connector. I figured that if I had to remove the engine I could re-solder the connectors. But if you can find the original type connector, new of course, and have the crimping tools to replace the connector, go for it. As far as re-using your old connectors? If I went through the trouble of replacing the connector I'd sure want new contacts as well.
New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help:
http://ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST

Don't fix it 'til it's broke...
The person with the most toys wins!
If it has wheels or a skirt you can't afford it.
Amateur Radio Station WW9L

71 CL350 with Bingham side car
2021 HD Triglide
2008 HD Dyna Low Rider
83 KZ1100L1 Son totaled it
83 KZ550LTD Shaft sold

Previous bikes: 84 GL1200 STD, 83 KZ550LTD, 83 CB1000, 78 CB400A, 82 CB900F, 79 CB750K, 2001 GL1800, 2000 Dyna Super Glide, 1972 CB350 K4, 1985 GL1200A, 1997 1200 Sportster, 84 GL1200I, 82 Honda CM400E, 81 Suzuki GS650L, 72 Triumph Bonneville 750, 72 Honda CB350, 66(?) Honda 305 Scrambler, 6? Yamaha yz250, 62 650 Matchless (Norton-Villers).
John
BlueThunder
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by BlueThunder »

Original connectors can be obtained from here: http://www.cycleterminal.com/motorcycle-connectors.html
I crimp and SOLDER each connector to ensure a proper, tight connection.
...Brian
2014 CTX1300 Deluxe - BlackThunder aka Predator
1977 GL1000 - Ox