Shorty mufflers and how to quiet them down.

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

John Schmidt
Silver Member
Silver Member

Shorty mufflers and how to quiet them down.

Post by John Schmidt »

Has anyone ever used these as shown in the link to Ebay? I happen to have a set from when and where I have no recall and just for kicks slipped them on my 1200 to see how they sounded. Wow, are they loud. I'd like to use them if at all possible but they're just too loud for my taste, almost like no muffler at all. Has anyone ever done something to them to knock them down a bit....actually a lot? I've seen some small 4" baffles on Ebay, just wondering if I got two sets and welded a couple together if the 8" each side would do the job. I do have a set of Sportster mufflers and they sound great but....with the aftermarket headers and their different angle coming off the back, they interfere with the centerstand which I'd like to keep. In order to accommodate the c/s, I have to get a 10" piece of tube bent into a shallow "S" to move the muffler out and up. I have one done up for mock up purposes and it works fine but I don't really like the looks. So, that brings me back to the shorty mufflers, any thoughts or experience with them....or suggestions for other methods. A while back I heard a great sounding set of something on here but can't seem to find it now. I have no idea what was used in that builder's exhaust but it sounded great....believe it also was a 1200, not sure.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Emgo-Shorty-Sho ... tk&vxp=mtr
1984 GL1200 Standard, work in progress
1998 Valkyrie Tourer, my Honda Davidson ;) Image
BlueThunder
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Shorty mufflers and how to quiet them down.

Post by BlueThunder »

You have two methods of quieting them. One is by wrapping the baffles in muffler fibreglass packing and the other is wrapping the baffles in stainless steel wool. Success will depend on the how the baffles are constructed. I spent considerable time in trying to quiet my MAC headers. If the baffles are tubes with perforated "holes" then you can wrap with fibreglass. Careful with how much and high tight you wrap the baffles as it will affect performance. Too much or too tight will cause restriction which will result in poor performance, poor gas mileage, and difficult starting. You can use twine or masking tape to tie the fibreglass.

The MAC pipes has a "split" design I couldn't get the fibreglass quiet the pipe without affecting performance. In the old days of two strokes, baffles were wrapped using steel wool. BUT you can't use the steel wool found in stores! If you do, it will burn and shoot out the back requiring you to repack. You must use a stainless steel wool that is specifically designed for wrapping exhausts. I got a 1 pound roll and used 1/2 lb for each side. The SS wool doesn't block the exhaust flow (due to the many spaces) and quieted the pipe to a very acceptable level. I used copper wire (no insulation) to tie the wool around the baffle.

http://steelwooldirect.com/stainless-steel-wool/
1 lb roll is $25 shipped
...Brian
2014 CTX1300 Deluxe - BlackThunder aka Predator
1977 GL1000 - Ox
Andyb
Silver Member
Silver Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Andyb/

Post by Andyb »

How much quieter to do you want them? You can knock a few decibels off, which may be enough, with a baffle but you won't get it too quiet with those shorties. I have straight pipes on mine with homemade baffles and it knocks the sound down but it is still way louder than stock.
Andy B
1983 1100 Black and Red (used to be Interstate Regal Brown)
http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Andyb/
BlueThunder
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by BlueThunder »

Can't say about John, but for me quieter meant not getting headaches after 10 minutes of riding, not seeing cagers holding their ears when passing, and simply not getting glares from law enforcement and pedestrians. The MAC pipes were obnoxiously stupid LOUD.
...Brian
1977 GL1000 - Ox
John Schmidt
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by John Schmidt »

Blue Thunder, these fall into the "obnoxiously loud" category even with the fiberglass wrapped baffles they came with. The center is still straight through. I pulled the baffles out and there wasn't a nickel's worth of change in volume. The metal inserts I see on ebay and elsewhere are rather inexpensive so thinking I might pick up a couple sets, weld two together, and see if it makes any difference. I'm simply trying different approaches to the exhaust that will enable me to keep the centerstand, the OEM pipes fell apart in my hands when first removed. When I separated the muffler section from the headers it all fell in a big rusty mess, nothing to work with so got tossed. I may end up pulling the c/s and be done with it, I'm almost done with the project except for the seat and painting. If I need the bike upright I'll use my wheel chock.
1984 GL1200 Standard, work in progress
1998 Valkyrie Tourer, my Honda Davidson ;) Image
BlueThunder
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by BlueThunder »

Be careful with inserting too many metal discs. Burnt exhaust valves may result. Seen that happen at least twice.

I also found the fibreglass wrap to be useless with the MAC pipes. The steel wool was the only thing that worked. With shorty mufflers you will need to pack a little tight to get acceptable noise level.
...Brian
1977 GL1000 - Ox
Ric
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Ric »

Was planning to get a similar model for mine, do you have a pic of them mounted? Tnx
hacksaw1945
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by hacksaw1945 »

! can remember the shorty mufflers back in the late 60's run a set of the on my 650 Bonnie, sounded great so did most of my friends. In the 70's along came he Alphabet so called tuned header that was the rage. Tomorrow my big 70 birthday I like the quite. And love to have music. I keep one Harley around a 2001 semi custom Road King some engine work and a Thunder Header on that bike. The bike has some snap but on the hwy with ear buds and my MP3 and full face helmet I can't hear the music.
1977 Honda GL 1000, 1982 Honda GL 1100I went naked, 1976 Honda LTD rough long range project, 1945 Indian Chief, 1947 Indian Chief, 1948 Indian Chief, 1958 Cushman Highlander, 1959 Cushman 3 wheel Mailister, 1966 Triumph TR6,
RB
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by RB »

simple stuff a little steel wool in there add until you like the sound..but yeah back pressure issues with burnt valves if you block too much.
98 1500 SE..
99 1500 SE SOLD
97 SE 1500 SOLD
83 SOLD
82 REBUILT sold!!!
81 DAILY RIDER sold her :(((!
81 REBUILT SOLD!!!
81 REBUILT SOLD!!
80 REBUILT SOLD
79 IN BASKET PARTS FOR SALE
79 CLEANED UP AND SOLD
78 REBUILT SOLD
77 REBUILT SOLD
76 SOLD/PARTIAL REBUILD
76 REBUILT AND SOLD
75 REBUILT SOLD
75 REBUILT SOLD
75 REBUILD SOLD

FAIR WINDS,
RB
BlueThunder
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by BlueThunder »

Just make sure you use the link I provided for the steel wool. DO NOT USE STORE BOUGHT STEEL WOOL. It is not the same as muffler packing steel wool.
...Brian
1977 GL1000 - Ox