buying an 81-recommendations

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

doubleminded
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

buying an 81-recommendations

Post by doubleminded »

Lord willing and the creek dont rise I am buying an 81 sunday.Its intended to be a parts bike but if its fixable I will fix it.It is full dress.Anyone here want all that stuff cheap? It has sat a long time but inside until recently.no title.Carbs are off.A guy brought it to fix,never came back.Here is my plan:
put some oil down each spark plug hole.take the plugs out.I would normally put a wrench on the crank and turn it, but on these bikes would that entail removing each timing cover? If so I will to see if its locked up.If its locked up I wont go any further.If its made running then I am thinking about buying a single carb manifold for solex carb off ebay.Right now the bid is $100.Dont know how high I should go.Plus if I had the carb boots and tubes I could make my own manifold from pvc.I dont know how much a solex costs, or what size to buy or where to find one.I suspect maybe a volkswagen site.One guy used a holley.Cant imagine what size, but it couldnt be too big.If I get a different good motor,which i hope i dont have to do, then I am planning on spending lots of money on a dual weber setup.Plus many more modifications.It will be a moneypit but once my harley sells the gw will be my daily rider and my last bike most likely.

If the motor is reluctant to move on inline 4 motors you can take a 50/50 mix of acetone and transmission fluid, put it down the cylinders,wait a few days,hope for the best.2 bikes top my list of alltime favorite bikes.the 75 goldwing and the original z1.I will have one of those now.
Future owner of a oldewing.#12 in my goldwing history.
RB
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: buying an 81-recommendations

Post by RB »

on these bikes would that entail removing each timing cover? No you can use the stator bolt just a small "bolt" cover to remove or put it in gear and turn the rear wheel.

Right now the bid is $100.Dont know how high I should go. Maybe $250 tops if not running and no carbs if not locked up and the plastic is in good shape.

Plus if I had the carb boots and tunes..I have a set..$30 plus shipping
I dont know how much a solex costs, Around $25 to 80.

what size to buy the one for a VW work..

or where to find one ebay
98 1500 SE..
99 1500 SE SOLD
97 SE 1500 SOLD
83 SOLD
82 REBUILT sold!!!
81 DAILY RIDER sold her :(((!
81 REBUILT SOLD!!!
81 REBUILT SOLD!!
80 REBUILT SOLD
79 IN BASKET PARTS FOR SALE
79 CLEANED UP AND SOLD
78 REBUILT SOLD
77 REBUILT SOLD
76 SOLD/PARTIAL REBUILD
76 REBUILT AND SOLD
75 REBUILT SOLD
75 REBUILT SOLD
75 REBUILD SOLD

FAIR WINDS,
RB
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

On the PVC manifold subject, one recent post was an owner who had the kill switch on for a bit, turned it off and blew parts off a considerable distance. He's blaming himself for forgetting the kill switch, loading the tubes with fuel and having a backfire. With the VW intake you can use steel. Still can backfire, but should stay contained.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Easter
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by Easter »

I have rebuilt several basket cases (wings) and ended with good bikes but unless you enjoy the thrill of turning junk into gold (or maybe silver) start with the best bike you can possibly afford and you will be money ahead in the long run. Buying parts one at a time, new or used gets expensive fast.
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS:
doubleminded
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by doubleminded »

Yep.That is why parts bikes are way cheaper solutions.Thanks for input.
doubleminded
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by doubleminded »

RB wrote:on these bikes would that entail removing each timing cover? No you can use the stator bolt just a small "bolt" cover to remove or put it in gear and turn the rear wheel.

Right now the bid is $100.Dont know how high I should go. Maybe $250 tops if not running and no carbs if not locked up and the plastic is in good shape.

I might be buying stuff from you.thanks.
doubleminded
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by doubleminded »

RB wrote:on these bikes would that entail removing each timing cover? No you can use the stator bolt just a small "bolt" cover to remove or put it in gear and turn the rear wheel.

Do you know anybody that has a solex they are running? is it the pct4?