Dyna Ignition or Points

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Re: Dyna Ignition or Points

Post by Rat »

Jeez .... I was only talkin' about a fight .... not a WAR !

Gord anim-cheers1 :guitar anim-cheers1
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

I tend to agree with Robin and there are several of us who know they failed shortly after voltage issues, a regulator that goes crazy. By the time you notice your battery is boiling out too fast, you've already been feeding the Dyna 15?16?17? volts for a while. We all know this happens pretty regularly on these old bikes due to simple resistance in the connections.

Dyna has no way of knowing this or testing them for this. A separate voltage/current limiter might protect them better. We have read/heard/ speculated that it's quality control from Dyna with a seeming spike in failures, but this spike is coming when all the wiring is getting -well----old.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

ericheath wrote:I tend to agree with Robin and there are several of us who know they failed shortly after voltage issues, a regulator that goes crazy. By the time you notice your battery is boiling out too fast, you've already been feeding the Dyna 15?16?17? volts for a while. We all know this happens pretty regularly on these old bikes due to simple resistance in the connections.

Dyna has no way of knowing this or testing them for this. A separate voltage/current limiter might protect them better. We have read/heard/ speculated that it's quality control from Dyna with a seeming spike in failures, but this spike is coming when all the wiring is getting -well----old.

AND/OR the charging system's rectifier assembly case is poorly grounded to its mounting surface on the, very susceptible to battery acid corrosion, battery frame. ;)

http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=61000
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
salukispeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by salukispeed »

(Just my thoughts ) I too have used several Dynas over the years with very good luck. I did have one failure but when I really looked carefully it turned out that the Primary side of my 1-4 coil was failing and shorted and less than 1.5 ohm and yet it would run fine. but this lead to over current and eventual failure of a second but "used" unit. ultimately My fault . Even something as a bad plug cap can cause high secondary voltage spikes that damage the electronics over time. this along with excessive charging voltage or misuse of a large battery charger that runs the voltage much above 16 volts can damage electronics. I too like points and my 1966 305 runs great with the original points from new. Points do not suffer so much from things that kill electronics but they require maintenance. Each is good and has its fans. I have not had the privilege to try the C5
Honda 72 CL100 sold
74 CB750 K4 nice driver
1966 CA77/305 Dream nostalgic driver
84 GL1200I work in progress
1970 CT 70
1982 GL500 Interstate
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

I am thinking it's wise to keep track of the overall electrical charge for the C5 or any other system for them to run well also. It's pretty amazing how much is packed into it.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Toehead
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Toehead »

Dyna does seem to be pretty sensitive to overvoltage (given my own experience). I added a voltage gauge and hopefully I never need to worry about cooking either of my dynas again.

That being said, I come from an automotive electronics background. Most of our 12 volt products are designed to survive 36 applied volts at the maximum operating temperature. If Dyna took a similar approach, it would be a non-issue.
2012 Golf TDI, fast and frugal oil burner
1980 CX500C, All around road warrior (Sold)
1975 TS125 (Sold), old smoker
1977 naked GL1000, Highway cruiser
'81 GL1100 14,000 (reconditioned and sold)
'81 GL1100 50,000 miles (under construction)
2X 1981 CM400 beginner bike (sold)
1980 CB750C (sold)
1994 Virago 750 (Wifey's bike)
'76 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow (Megasquirted efi build) http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=59774
AussieGold
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by AussieGold »

roachb wrote:I had a Dyna S in my '75 GL 1000 for years without any issues but a year and a half ago it failed. It was intermittent at first but finally one module failed. I purchased the reduced-cost replacement and today I lost two cylinders again. I'm sending it back to Dynatek for testing, but I wonder if I should not reinstall the points. Points are reliable. Randakk likes points. The Dyna is out of warranty, which is only one year.
this is an all too familiar story. voltage spikes ? poor fitting ? quality control issues ? whatever the reason , it happens quite regularly.a very common topic on this forum alone.i'm willing to bet there are a whole lot more not posted . best solution ? get some points and become familiar with setting them . it's not too hard.
or fit another Dyna and carry the points plate as a back up. i did that for a good while. :crosso
Mentor to all self appointed (and genuine) GURUS.

An LTD is........it just is.
roachb
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by roachb »

I thought I would install the old points again since I am waiting on the Dyna test results. I like the mechanical-ness of the points and sort of miss the ritual of gapping and timing. But when I hooked up the timing light I found no light on the left side points. No voltage where the points plug it to the connector with the condenser either. So the Dyna is probably good and I jumped to a conclusion without doing the basic troubleshooting. That's as far as I got today. The bike is at work so I can only work a little at a time. Next I'll check the power to the coil and the coil.
RoachB
'75 GL 1000
'79 CM400T

"If you're going to repair a motorcycle, an adequate supply of gumption is the first and most important tool."

- Robert M. Pirsig
roachb
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by roachb »

Must have been a loose connection. I found 12v at the black wires to the coils and the primary winding tested 3.1 ohms. When I hooked it back up, power was back at the points. I set the timing and it is running again.
RoachB
'75 GL 1000
'79 CM400T

"If you're going to repair a motorcycle, an adequate supply of gumption is the first and most important tool."

- Robert M. Pirsig