rebuild CB1000 or any Honda starter

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

jdvorchak
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

rebuild CB1000 or any Honda starter

Post by jdvorchak »

This starter is typical of Honda starters so it may be of use to the GL owners as well.

I'm working on a couple of issues with my 83 CB1000C. One is the starter drags when the bike gets warmed up. Usually it is just a dirty starter and needs a good cleaning. I use spray brake cleaner as it cleans very good and dries fast.

Since I had the carbs out, for a fuel pipe leak, I addressed the starter. Caution: disconnect the negative battery terminal before you begin. It only takes you a minute and could prevent arc welding the large wire/connector to the starter should you mess up.

Make sure you have the alignment marks marked and you can clearly see them:

With the starter removed and placed in a vise I put PB Blaster on the 2 screw threads holding the starter together. I used my impact screwdriver to loosen the screws.

Carefully remove the output end and note there are spacers on the output shaft. Keep note of them and their orientation. Mine had 3 of them yours may have a different number and thickness:

Same with the brush cover. I had only one spacer:

Don't try to remove the rotating part but clean the commutator copper contacts. Be gentile and use scotch bright. Never sand paper or emery cloth. You want them clean not disfigured. Also use a thin probe to clean any carbon from between the contacts. Finish by using lots of brake cleaner.

There is a wire, coming out of the starter body, screwed to the brush plate. Remove that small screw and you can then lift the brush plate off of the starter.

With the plate off you can measure/replace the brushes if needed. There are 3 tabs that make up the ground contact to the starter case. They are probably pitted and flat. You should bend them slightly down so they protrude a tiny bit below the brush plate. Use emery cloth or sandpaper to clean any pitting so they are clean and bright:

From the top or brush side:

From the bottom

Don't forget the starter housing where those tabs rest when assembled:

A final squirt/cleaning with lots of brake cleaner to clean out the carbon dust. Put the brush plate back on. Don't forget that screw that hols the wire onto the brush. The brushes are spring loaded so you have to be careful to make sure the entire plate assembly fits into the case. I lightly oil the spacers/shims prior to assembly. You kept them in order right? Align your brush cap and output cap using the aligning marks. Tighten the long screws and you're done.

I bench test by hooking a battery, with jumper cables, to test that the starter turns. The torque will cause the starter to jump a little. It's supposed to do that. A light skim of grease on the output shaft O-ring and put it back on the bike.

Hope this helps someone.
New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help:
http://ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST

Don't fix it 'til it's broke...
The person with the most toys wins!
If it has wheels or a skirt you can't afford it.
Amateur Radio Station WW9L

71 CL350 with Bingham side car
2021 HD Triglide
2008 HD Dyna Low Rider
83 KZ1100L1 Son totaled it
83 KZ550LTD Shaft sold

Previous bikes: 84 GL1200 STD, 83 KZ550LTD, 83 CB1000, 78 CB400A, 82 CB900F, 79 CB750K, 2001 GL1800, 2000 Dyna Super Glide, 1972 CB350 K4, 1985 GL1200A, 1997 1200 Sportster, 84 GL1200I, 82 Honda CM400E, 81 Suzuki GS650L, 72 Triumph Bonneville 750, 72 Honda CB350, 66(?) Honda 305 Scrambler, 6? Yamaha yz250, 62 650 Matchless (Norton-Villers).
John
leonardhcross
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Re: rebuild CB1000 or any Honda starter

Post by leonardhcross »

Great step-by-step details and photos.One question regarding the "squirt" clean up. Are you saying that it is ok to spray lots of brake cleaner into the housing around the armature to wash out carbon dust?
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: rebuild CB1000 or any Honda starter

Post by Sidecar Bob »

I would use electrical contact cleaner. I'd be afraid of how any plastic parts would react to the brake cleaner.

Even if you sharpen the corners of the tabs and dress the pads they push into the ground connection will eventually deteriorate again.
I'm pretty sure that connecting the brush that is supposed to be grounded directly to the end cap to ensure a good ground connection has been discussed here before but I can't find it. The usual procedure is to drill a hole through the cap and use either a rivet or a nut & bolt to attach the brush's lead but the method described here is a bit more elegant
https://motofaction.org/motorcycles/hon ... 500-gl500/
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....