clutch adjustment

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

handyandy64
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Re: clutch adjustment

Post by handyandy64 »

Ok here we go. I pulled the back cover off the clutch and examined the clutch adjuster mechanism. Everything was ok, the shaft moves in and out and rotates freely. Since the adjustment is made on the shaft initially, loosen nut turn screw in till it lightly bottoms out then back out 3/4 turn. Next tighten nut while holding screw. I put a preload on the round end of the shaft and completed the initial adjustment. Preload was accomplished by putting pressure in an outboard direction on shaft. Test ride showed no problems, bike shifted with no problems, no slippage. Since the bike was on a stand I had removed the mufflers to gain access to the clutch cover. It did help with the operation.
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

action1 action1 action1 action1
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 77Gowing »

Excellent, I knew you could do it!
"Less is More" Anonymous

77Gowing
1977 GL1000 "O'le Blue." (sold :crying)
2014 Yamaha 950 V Star (sold)
2017 Indian Scout Std w/ABS (sold)
2009 Honda VTX1300R "Me Brudder's" (sold)
1984 Honda Interstate "84' 2outa4." Gone
1982 Honda GL1100 "After thought." Gone
wheeliedog
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wheeliedog »

There you go, next time will be easier :lol:
naked 1980 GL1100 under construction.
BikeMaine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BikeMaine »

Excellent.
Kevin
1982 GL1100A
ifm61
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by ifm61 »

handyandy64 wrote:Ok here we go. I pulled the back cover off the clutch and examined the clutch adjuster mechanism. Everything was ok, the shaft moves in and out and rotates freely. Since the adjustment is made on the shaft initially, loosen nut turn screw in till it lightly bottoms out then back out 3/4 turn. Next tighten nut while holding screw. I put a preload on the round end of the shaft and completed the initial adjustment. Preload was accomplished by putting pressure in an outboard direction on shaft. Test ride showed no problems, bike shifted with no problems, no slippage. Since the bike was on a stand I had removed the mufflers to gain access to the clutch cover. It did help with the operation.
I came across this thread because I've struggled with clutch cable adjustment before and wanted to make cable renewal that bit easier. so I interpret your post thus - initially (with just the round cover off) you weren't able to make the required lock nut/screw adjustment, but once you removed that whole assembly (exposing plates etc) the lock nut somehow freed itself enough that you could? I ask because i'm trying to compose a question re cable replacement and i'd like to include all possible death traps before I remove the rear wheel again and have at 'er
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

Replacing the cable (if everything was working before) should require none of what he is discussing. Installing the cable does require access to the mechanism behind the cover (it is just tin keeping dirt out) to disconnect the old cable and connect the new, but the rest of the adjustment is in the cable adjuster where it enters the back of the engine and at the clutch lever. Read the FSM, as it has an excellent and straight-forward procedure. The procedure discussed by handyandy64 is for adjusting the linkage from the actuator to the clutch pack. If your clutch was working it needs nothing done there. If it wasn't, the FSM has a great procedure.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
ifm61
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by ifm61 »

pidjones wrote:Replacing the cable (if everything was working before) should require none of what he is discussing. Installing the cable does require access to the mechanism behind the cover (it is just tin keeping dirt out) to disconnect the old cable and connect the new, but the rest of the adjustment is in the cable adjuster where it enters the back of the engine and at the clutch lever. Read the FSM, as it has an excellent and straight-forward procedure. The procedure discussed by handyandy64 is for adjusting the linkage from the actuator to the clutch pack. If your clutch was working it needs nothing done there. If it wasn't, the FSM has a great procedure.
yup, that was kinda my point... like I mentioned, i'd had adjustment issues, but was able to (eventually) tackle them without going to the lengths HandyAndy64 had to, and I was just wondering why - until it became clearer that it was the linkage from the actuator to the clutch pack where his problem lay.
incidently, FSM ? full service manual? the one I downloaded had terrible quality pictures with the directional arrows less than helpful. I will be throwing together a post on this topic though, and would be grateful if you'd take the time to have a read and perhaps offer a few pointers/blow some myths
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

FSM = Factory Service Manual.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder