New ignition switch

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Steve81GL1100
Silver Member
Silver Member

New ignition switch

Post by Steve81GL1100 »

I'm thinking about replacing my ignition switch. Nothing wrong with the original part. I got a set of Interstate bags and a complete lock set over the winter and now have 2 keys to deal with -- one for the bags and the original for everything else. I would kinda like to go back to a single key for everything... I have not electrically tested the "new" switch, but it appears to be in good condition and came off a running bike (so said the ebay vendor I got it from -- a bike salvage place in Michigan).
According to the Honda shop manual, replacing the ignition switch starts with "remove the instrument cluster..." Really? Looking at it, it seems like it ought to be accessible by removing the headlight bucket. Haynes says to remove both the bucket and the cluster...
Has anybody else done this swap? Is it do-able by just removing the bucket or do I need to budget time to pull the cluster too?
Thanks
Steve
1981 GL 1100 Standard, 81 Interstate bags, 84 GL1200 pegs, sometime National Cycle PlexiStar windshield
1996 BMW R1100R
2007 Piaggio X9 Evo500, wife's ride so she can keep up with the GL
1980 Vespa P200 (also wife's), restored, with custom paint, custom trim
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: New ignition switch

Post by ericheath »

I haven't done it on an 1100, but on 1000's it comes out through the bottom and the bucket is in the way. The manual writers may have felt it's easier with the cluster pulled up and back instead of working from underneath. With a fairing will make a difference. I think it's bolted to the underside of the upper triple tree. Removing the triple tree would expose everything it I wonder about having enough wire and cable slack to reach for that. Or if air forks will allow it.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

You should be able to access it by just loosening the bucket. It does bolt on from the bottom. You'll have to play around getting it out through the spaghetti of wiring and cables, though.
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
chewy999
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by chewy999 »

I've just changed mine on the advice of a guy who is helping with my over charging problem. Just loosen the headlight bucket and the ignition switch is just held on with two bolts. Undo the bolts and disconnect the socket and it comes out! My old one may have been the problem as the sense (black) wire connection was quite corroded.

anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1
Previous Rides,
1980 CB250N Good to learn on
1981 CX500 good mid range tourer, went to Austria on it!
1983 GL1100C Pride and joy, sold when I bought my 1st house, big mistake
1985 GL650 Silverwing another mistake, horrible bike
1986 CBX550 Good commuter
1989 Suzuki GS750 (1976) cheap and cheerful until a dog ran out in front of me on Xmas Eve, 1991
Current bikes
2010 CB1300 back on a bike after 19 years, two divorces, children grown up etc
1980 GL1100 NOW ON THE ROAD, still use CB1300.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Bingo on that, chewy.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
brianinpa
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by brianinpa »

The could be another option...

Get Roncar to make one key that works for the ignition AND the bags.
Brian
ADC(AW) - US Navy Retired 1983-2003
If you aren't having fun doing it, find something else to do.

1984 Standard - 18,000 miles - Naked... the way it should be
1987 Interstate - 62,000 miles - Resurrected from the rust bucket