Power loss issues

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

Chang_G_Wing
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Power loss issues

Post by Chang_G_Wing »

Hey what's up NGWClub. Here I am again with some issues. Let me start by saying this place is amazing and I love it. Now, this issue. I was crushing in estacada, Oregon the other day, I'd say comfortably around 70 and the weirdest thing happend. The bike starting losing power and couldn't go past 4-5k rpm and barely past 40 mph and running real sluggish. I was only riding for maybe 2 hours tops. It was a pretty hot day as well, I'd say 70-80F. So I stopped inspected what I could. Noticed my res was low on coolant, maybe overheating. The temp gauge was dead center in the middle. But I called my buddy to drive over and bring some coolant. The rad was full and I filled the res. Tried starting it up and would start and go up to 2k rpm and drop all the way down and just shut off. Tried holding the throttle open to keep it going but it sounds horrible like hardcore knocking sounds. Decided to let it sit on the side of the road for an hour just laying next to her with great bedside manners. Then started up fine. Everything was normal. Rode it home which was a 15 min ride and rode wonderfully then she did it again. Decided to just walk it the rest of the way home. Anyone ever have an issue similar or know what's wrong before I start tearing things apart. Any help would be appreciated and always, stay classy NGW owners. Oh some more info, changed timing belt, oil, carb overhaul with randakks kit and valve adjustments 1k ago. Rode her to seaside from Portland and back and was fine a couple weeks prior. Thanks for reading this long post of you made it this far.
1980 Honda Goldwing Gl1100

crossy.gif -I ride naked- crossy.gif

lolol This Is My First Motorcycle lolol

Portland, Oregon
CYBORG

Re: Power loss issues

Post by CYBORG »

Sounds like maybe the gas cap is not venting. Try running with the cap loose, and see if it repeats the problem. I'm guessing the fuel level was about half full
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

A couple of simple things to check spring to mind. One, plugged vent in the gas cap. Easy check is to open the cap when the symptoms appear. If they go away, a good soaking of the cap in PB Blaster or the like could cure it, or replace the cap. Two, the 'dogbone' main fuse (if it hasn't been replaced by a blade type holder and fuse) can sometimes fail intermittently (when hot) and cause similar symptoms. From there I would check out the plugs and wires, coils, and ignition (electronic, Dyna brand, perhaps?). I always start with the easy stuff and work my way methodically through each system. Most effective and way cheaper than throwing time and parts at it. My 2 cents...
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
TNTbefree
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TNTbefree »

I had a very similar issue with my 81. At half a tank, it would take about 15 minutes to start sucking eggs. When I unscrewed the gas cap, you could hear a strong sucking sound. I did not try the PB Blaster soak, but I did make a couple of small drill holes in the top of the cap. My cap is like a two layer cap, so I didn't drill through the bottom layer. Odds are this isn't a proper fix, but it worked for me.
Chang_G_Wing
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Chang_G_Wing »

Very interesting...I was a little then less half of a tank, thats correct Cyborg. I will try that soaking gas cap in pb blaster and changing the doggone fuse like Track T stated. Im assuming the doggone fuse is on the solenoid? I did just purchase a new one. just haven't changed it out yet. Im gonna check it out now! Thanks for the quick reply fellas. Very much appreciated.

Portland, Oregon
tlbranth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tlbranth »

You don't have an Emgo fuel filter do you?
Terry
Don't own a Vanagon
Don't work at Boeing
Life is good

1999 GL1500 SE
2002 Honda VT750 "ACE"
1975 GL1000
1970 CB750
Chang_G_Wing
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Chang_G_Wing »

tlbranth wrote:You don't have an Emgo fuel filter do you?
I have randakks high performance fuel filter.
well I let it run for awhile after changing the solenoid. Sounds fine. let the rad fan spin a few times and seems fine. Guess I won't really know until I take her out for a date and see if she behaves herself lol. She starts right up though now with a push on the button, haven't had that for awhile. Cheers everyone.

Portland, Oregon
Chang_G_Wing
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Chang_G_Wing »

Well I rode the bike today. 95 degrees out. Temp gauge in the middle, rode for 15 mins. Bike goes into safe mode. Any more ideas?

Portland, Oregon
tlbranth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by tlbranth »

I'd look at the fuel pump and the coils. It sounds like fuel starvation but coils can act up when heated.
Terry
Don't own a Vanagon
Don't work at Boeing
Life is good

1999 GL1500 SE
2002 Honda VT750 "ACE"
1975 GL1000
1970 CB750
Chang_G_Wing
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Chang_G_Wing »

Well, I think you guys are right, it's definitely a fuel problem. I think something's clogged. I took a real hard look inside my fuel tank.... I see rust floating around in there. Also when I switched the pet from on to reserve I heard Air relieving from what sounded like suction. I wanna say the on is clogged.....when I switched it started up and ran fine for another 15-20 mins, then started the same problems.....*sigh* I shouldn't of half done my carb rebuild and did a thorough job including the gas tank and fuel pump. Should of done it right the first time. Dont shame me, I'm only human. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I now know what needs to be done. crying1 :IDTS:

Portland, Oregon
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Track T 2411 »

Chang_G_Wing wrote:.....*sigh* I shouldn't of half done my carb rebuild and did a thorough job including the gas tank and fuel pump. Should of done it right the first time. Dont shame me, I'm only human. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I now know what needs to be done. crying1 :IDTS:
Most all of us have been there, done that at one time or another. Sometimes shortcuts work, sometimes not...

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:

Under Construction:

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
New2U Bike? Read Me.
TNTbefree
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TNTbefree »

Did you try running with the loose cap?
Chang_G_Wing
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Chang_G_Wing »

TNTbefree wrote:Did you try running with the loose cap?
Yes I did, same symptoms. When I was on the reserve it sounded like it was starving for fuel. First and second I would have to ride the clutch a little and give it a lot of gas. Anycgears after that wasn't as bad. When the fuel is on the on position it would act different. Wouldn't even idle. I don't know if this is the situation but this was quick on the side of the rode kinda thing. Anyone want to share how the "on" and "reserve" even work?

Portland, Oregon
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Track T 2411 »

The petcock has two lines coming from the tank. The 'on' line runs near the bottom of the tank but ends before the tank is empty (there is about one gallon left). The 'reserve' line ends at the very bottom of the tank, and will run it almost out of fuel. Just a simple way of warning you to fill up, really. If you suspect one or both lines may be clogged, you can remove the petcock and run a cable through each to clean them. An old clutch cable chucked into a variable speed drill works very nicely. If they are clogged, it's time to do a thorough tank cleaning, IMHO...

Current Rides:

Under Construction:

In The Shed:
New2U Bike? Read Me.
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.