GL1000 OEM Wiring - crowded house

Discuss everything about Honda GoldWing. Feel free to ask any question related to GoldWing.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

GL1000 OEM Wiring - crowded house

Post by desertrefugee »

Ok. Where on the GL1000 is the wiring bundle most densely packed? Headlight shell? Behind the headstem? Under the left shelter?

I'd like to nominate the central indicator light pod between the gauges. Don't ask why, but I had my gauge cluster off for some "activity" and when I re-installed and hit the key, I had a crazy, rapid oscillation of a relay. At first, I thought it was my newly installed fuel pump relay, but it wasn't. It was turn signal related. Of course I instantly knew that I'd screwed something up in that miserable bundle of wires behind the pod.

I opened it back up and about three minutes later found a pinched wire (gray) that feeds the turn signal circuit. I grounded it to the frame and drove it crazy. Repaired the wire and things are back to normal. I thought was careful, but hey...
Attachments
SmashedWire.jpg.jpg
SmashedWire.jpg.jpg (67.86 KiB) Viewed 77 times
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Re: GL1000 OEM Wiring - crowded house

Post by Track T 2411 »

I'll definitely agree that the dash 'pod' is a mess of wires! The first time I pulled the pod apart on my 1100, I didn't pay enough attention to how all that fit in such a small space. Ugh! I finally tossed it in a bin and swapped in another (unmolested by me) unit... I would like to go back and switch out the bulbs to led's, but, um, nope!
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.